OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can honesty say I’m hate this tank at the moment.. I have been having issues with a couple of things.
1- can’t get my Ca past 370ppm.
2- can’t get a nutrient level up. Phosphate is at 0 and nitrate is at

I over feed 3 times a day with frozen food, flake, pellets, reef roids, roe eggs, etc. My current situation is I had turned my skimmer off for over a week in hopes that my nutrients level would come up. Which it did go from phosphate being at zero then moving to .01 and my nitrates going from zero to .25
But I decided to turn it on for a little bit earlier today just because I thought it would be good for some more water agitation. When the cup filled up a little bit with some skim I dumped it back into the tank because I couldn’t afford to lose those nutrients in the tank. Being that my torchs seem to be on their death beds because of no nutrients.. well after I dumped it back in I went over to my parents house for dinner. Came back 3 hours or so later to a dead yellow tang, fire fish, and a missing clown which I’m assuming is dead some where in the tank as well. So I’m just really looking for some advice here how to rectify some stuff. How come my CA won’t budge. I’m just burning though 2 part CA portion with nothing happening.. it doesn’t seem to be participating out as I’m not seeing any snow in the tank.. is there a buffer I should use to get the CA up then go back to 2 part? As for nutrients what do you guys think? How can I boost them up in a decent time period. I can only waste so much food.. But I thought the tank was stocked with fish well enough for the size to be able to have some nutrients.. Anyway here are my current levels and my fish stock list (before the deaths that just happened tonight.. )

- PH - 7.9- 8.2
- Alk- 8.5 DHK (Hanna tester)
- CA- 370ppm (Salafert test kit)
- Mag- 1470ppm (salafert test kit)
- Salinity- 1.026
- Temp- 78-79
- Amonia and Nitrite- 0 (salafert)

Fish list
-2 clowns
- yellow tang
- melanurus wrasse
- Blue spot jaw fish
- Lubbock wrasse

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Trying to keep my torches alive.. My acan and zoas are looking great.. Incase you haven’t read my thread my tank finished cycling around Halloween. Cycled with dry rock which I’m starting to regret doing..

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can honesty say I’m hate this tank at the moment.. I have been having issues with a couple of things.
1- can’t get my Ca past 370ppm.
2- can’t get a nutrient level up. Phosphate is at 0 and nitrate is at

I over feed 3 times a day with frozen food, flake, pellets, reef roids, roe eggs, etc. My current situation is I had turned my skimmer off for over a week in hopes that my nutrients level would come up. Which it did go from phosphate being at zero then moving to .01 and my nitrates going from zero to .25
But I decided to turn it on for a little bit earlier today just because I thought it would be good for some more water agitation. When the cup filled up a little bit with some skim I dumped it back into the tank because I couldn’t afford to lose those nutrients in the tank. Being that my torchs seem to be on their death beds because of no nutrients.. well after I dumped it back in I went over to my parents house for dinner. Came back 3 hours or so later to a dead yellow tang, fire fish, and a missing clown which I’m assuming is dead some where in the tank as well. So I’m just really looking for some advice here how to rectify some stuff. How come my CA won’t budge. I’m just burning though 2 part CA portion with nothing happening.. it doesn’t seem to be participating out as I’m not seeing any snow in the tank.. is there a buffer I should use to get the CA up then go back to 2 part? As for nutrients what do you guys think? How can I boost them up in a decent time period. I can only waste so much food.. But I thought the tank was stocked with fish well enough for the size to be able to have some nutrients.. Anyway here are my current levels and my fish stock list (before the deaths that just happened tonight.. )

- PH - 7.9- 8.2
- Alk- 8.5 DHK (Hanna tester)
- CA- 370ppm (Salafert test kit)
- Mag- 1470ppm (salafert test kit)
- Salinity- 1.026
- Temp- 78-79
- Amonia and Nitrite- 0 (salafert)

Fish list
-2 clowns
- yellow tang
- melanurus wrasse
- Blue spot jaw fish
- Lubbock wrasse

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Trying to keep my torches alive.. My acan and zoas are looking great.. Incase you haven’t read my thread my tank finished cycling around Halloween. Cycled with dry rock which I’m starting to regret doing..
Sorry for all your troubles but to help out with your nitrates, I recommend trying out Seachem Flourish Nitrogen to raise your nitrates since it ready to go out of the jug and no mixing. Plus it won't affect your phosphates. I use this and it helps keep my nitrates around 2-5ppm. As far as your calcium being low, are you dosing in equal parts? What salt are you using?

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all your troubles but to help out with your nitrates, I recommend trying out Seachem Flourish Nitrogen to raise your nitrates since it ready to go out of the jug and no mixing. Plus it won't affect your phosphates. I use this and it helps keep my nitrates around 2-5ppm. As far as your calcium being low, are you dosing in equal parts? What salt are you using?

Thanks for the reply! I will check the seachem product out. As for dosing I started out dosing equal amounts. Couldn’t get the CA up past 350ish or so. Then I started dosing in un equal amounts and was able to get the CA to 370. But I’m afraid to get my alk past 8.5 being that my nutrients are so low. Don’t want to burn anything..

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I will check the seachem product out. As for dosing I started out dosing equal amounts. Couldn’t get the CA up past 350ish or so. Then I started dosing in un equal amounts and was able to get the CA to 370. But I’m afraid to get my alk past 8.5 being that my nutrients are so low. Don’t want to burn anything..
Have you tried just dosing calcium for a bjt? With your nutrients being zero, IMO I'd lower alkalinity closer to 7 -7.5 to see what happens.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sweat 370 for ca. Just keep adding slowly. Some times it just takes a while to build up. If your mag was not good I would say that was the issue. If you are doing h2o changes with low ca in your new water that could be slowing things down. Maybe test your new h2o for kicks.

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sweat 370 for ca. Just keep adding slowly. Some times it just takes a while to build up. If your mag was not good I would say that was the issue. If you are doing h2o changes with low ca in your new water that could be slowing things down. Maybe test your new h2o for kicks.

Ya, I totally forgot about testing new water. I use reef crystals. I will do that on the next water change. Thanks for the reminder

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little pic update

8a7f144fbf0ba948f2332eb846ca4f36.heic
a43cb7a6649b3a2d0a51ae2580d4337b.heic

a9a72e186c1deca4adfab1672396adb7.heic
82ba5bcd7a28a5f3af0c75579373341a.heic

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of my sump. Just got the DOS and DDR for Christmas. Haven't set it up yet being I don't need to dose yet.. But I am considering getting a new sump in the future. Thinking about Reef Synergy triton 34 sump because it has a big refugium area

7037b8eb2bf003f2abcf47998a47a6e5.heic

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job!

Thanks Rev! I actually posted that pic a couple of hours to soon.. Got home from work to a package. Just put up the kessil H80 on my fuge. The light that came with the tank was junk..

0845ee462d95ae1574c8a8f203955385.heic

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that we are on to my fuge I have been having a problem with my skimmer.. I'm always getting over foam out the top of the lid.. The skimmer is an aquamaxx co1. I have tried lowering the water level and making it higher. Still doing the same thing... Any suggestions?

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how you feed an acan without all the theives in the tank able to take advantage.. [emoji23]
58080e0a0656340ae28cad33e7ec443d.heic

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank's looking great! Ours are close to the same size, started mine right at the beginning of last year also. I see you're in Orlando, you planning on going to reef-a-palooza in April?

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank's looking great! Ours are close to the same size, started mine right at the beginning of last year also. I see you're in Orlando, you planning on going to reef-a-palooza in April?

Thanks! And how can you live in Orlando and not go to reef-a-palooza! [emoji12]

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back