Jason's Reefer 250: Fish added! Sump Mod, Clarisea, custom plumbing, aquascape w/E-Marco, IKEA cabinet mod. (Pic heavy!)

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered this tank and have started going through the build threads for ideas, as it is my first saltwater tank. You have a beautiful setup and great attention to detail. Thank you for the hard work putting this thread together. Now, I look forward to seeing the “inspiration“ threads you mentioned.

Finally, your house is beautiful as well!

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered this tank and have started going through the build threads for ideas, as it is my first saltwater tank. You have a beautiful setup and great attention to detail. Thank you for the hard work putting this thread together. Now, I look forward to seeing the “inspiration“ threads you mentioned.

Finally, your house is beautiful as well!

Thank you! I am so happy you have found this thread useful. I really tried to focus on areas which I felt weren't well covered by other threads. There are so many things to think about (and enjoy) with reef tank builds... Despite the fact that I still don't have anything alive in the tank other than bacteria (lol), it's been super rewarding to work on. Feel free to ask any questions you encounter, I will be happy to try my best to help. :)

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am so happy you have found this thread useful. I really tried to focus on areas which I felt weren't well covered by other threads. There are so many things to think about (and enjoy) with reef tank builds... Despite the fact that I still don't have anything alive in the tank other than bacteria (lol), it's been super rewarding to work on. Feel free to ask any questions you encounter, I will be happy to try my best to help. :)

Thank you, it has helped a bunch. I’m in the hoarding phase, of systems, rock and miscellaneous other things. Once it comes in I may be summoning up these threads and sending some PM’s for basic help. Thank you again!

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jason, looking for your opinion. To begin with I will be keeping FOWLR only and later down the road I will be converting it to reef tank.

Beside the v3 sump there is about 12"-13" of available space. I am planning to purchase two ATO reservoirs from Advanced Acrylics. My plan is to use the 8"x16"x16" (about 8.8 gallon) for new saltwater reservoir for automatic water change and the second reservoir 4"x16"x16" (4.25 gallon) for ATO reservoir. I plan to spread the water change over 2 weeks or maybe lesser using Versa pump or DOS pump.

Another option is just to get bigger reservoir and just use it as ATO only, and do WC manually every 2 weeks or so.

What do you guys think? Pros and cons?

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've done continuous water changes in the past and I really like them. Very easy and simplifies a lot of work. Either of your approaches could be fine, but I think you need to clarify what the goals of your setup are. For my tank this time, it was to fit everything into the stand to keep a neat clean low profile.

So some questions I would think about:

1) Do you mind salt expense? Continuous water changes are not as efficient as large ones. Salt costs add up.

2) How will you fill the units with RO? Will you run an RO line directly to both containers? If not, you're still hauling buckets around.

3) Where will you put your electronics if not in the stand? It's very convenient to have the electronics close by the tank and accessible.

4) Where will you locate the pumps? DOS and other peristaltic pumps aren't silent and they will easily be the noisiest components if they are running often. The good news is you can usually locate them away from the tank.

5) Although I would set up a water changer if I had the space again, I've found the need to do water changes less important nowadays, especially as I have gotten more experienced with testing, recognizing problems and correcting them. Automatic water changes are a nice 'insurance policy' but many people have great tanks with much less water changing than in the past.

So short answer... Either of your approaches sounds fine... But to answer which one, you would need to clarify what you're trying to achieve and what's most important to you. :)

Last edited:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done continuous water changes in the past and I really like them. Very easy and simplifies a lot of work. Either of your approaches could be fine, but I think you need to clarify what the goals of your setup are. For my tank this time, it was to fit everything into the stand to keep a neat clean low profile.

So some questions I would think about:

1) Do you mind salt expense? Continuous water changes are not as efficient as large ones. Salt costs add up.

2) How will you fill the units with RO? Will you run an RO line directly to both containers? If not, you're still hauling buckets around.

3) Where will you put your electronics if not in the stand? It's very convenient to have the electronics close by the tank and accessible.

4) Where will you locate the pumps? DOS and other peristaltic pumps aren't silent and they will easily be the noisiest components if they are running often. The good news is you can usually locate them away from the tank.

5) Although I would set up a water changer if I had the space again, I've found the need to do water changes less important nowadays, especially as I have gotten more experienced with testing, recognizing problems and correcting them. Automatic water changes are a nice 'insurance policy' but many people have great tanks with much less water changing than in the past.

So short answer... Either of your approaches sounds fine... But to answer which one, you would need to clarify what you're trying to achieve and what's most important to you. :)

Thank you. Good points. I think I am not going to do AWC as I still have to manually make saltwater and refill it manually.

I will just get the ATO to fit on that empty space.

My electronic and controller will be set up on IKEA small cabinet just right next to the tank.

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came for the Red Sea 250, stayed for the house. Seriously amazing build, can't wait to see you put some life in there!

After 2 weeks, nitrite has finally zeroed out so my tank is completely cycled! Unlike ammonia, nitrite definitely took a while to drop. I was reading above 5ppm for this whole time until this morning when it registered 0.25 and zero tonight. So with that I've finally moved my clownfish, the sole survivor of my last tank, who's been with me for over 7 years to his new home. I suspect he's happy to finally be free of the 10 gallon swamp he's lived in for over a year.

20200220_210803.jpg

20200220_062301.jpg

20200220_060914.jpg

So for posterity, here is the official time line for my build:

Jan 3: Tank Arrives
Jan 8: Tank Assembled
Feb 1: Plumbing complete, Tank filled
Feb 2: Aquascape complete
Feb 5: Biospira added
Feb 6: Ammonia Chloride added
Feb 8: Microbacter XLM added
Feb 10: Dry side build out
Feb 20: Tank bio cycle complete. Clownfish added.

Last edited:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clown!

What's your plan with the ATO box?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clown!

What's your plan with the V3 sump?

Thanks! Sorry I don't understand your question on the v3 sump... I'm using the sump. Do you mean the ATO? I'm not using that with this tank. I might actually turn it into a copepod breeding tank. I have an order of pods and phyto coming in tomorrow.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Sorry I don't understand your question on the v3 sump... I'm using the sump. Do you mean the ATO? I'm not using that with this tank. I might actually turn it into a copepod breeding tank. I have an order of pods and phyto coming in tomorrow.

Duh me! Ye that’s what I mean. Cool!

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend my refugium light, chaeto, copepods and phytoplankton cultures arrived. As I had previously mentioned, this is the first tank I've set up from a completely dead start and I want to ensure I have a strong pod population.

20200223_071119.jpg

For the light, I debated several options until settling on the Tunze Eco Chic 8831:

It's tuned for chaeto and other macro algae and most importantly it's submersible and a perfect form factor for the Reefer 250 v3 sump, taking up only a tiny amount of space on the sump wall for a magnet holder.

20200223_075520.jpg

(Remember to eat your greens...)

I purchased my chaeto and copepods from Algagen Direct. A lot of people recommend Algaebarn but they were out of stock for chaeto (and seemingly quite expensive). So far from what I've observed I'm really happy went with Algagen. The bags of copepods were packed with life and the chaeto was healthy.

I installed the light just below the water surface, thew in the chaeto and dumped the majority of the Ecopods into the display and a smaller amount went into the sump with the chaeto. (One drawback to the Clarisea is its so effective I'm doubtful any pods that make it into the overflow will escape the Clarisea, but that should be OK as long as I have productive refugium and display populations.)

20200223_080844.jpg

Another benefit to the submersible light is less corraline algae on unwanted areas like the skimmer.

20200223_080916.jpg

Top down view. The Tunze Eco Chic is really the perfect length for this sump.

20200223_225806.jpg

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have a bustling copepod population.

I have a separate bag of Tisbe copepods and a green phytoplankton culture that I will mess with as a side project. More on that in the coming week.

Last edited:

kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is the Clarisea working out? any issues?
how long is the roll lasting for you :)

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is the Clarisea working out? any issues?
how long is the roll lasting for you :)

It's been working perfectly so far. Water is crystal clear, but I also have a new tank so I'd expect it to be pretty clear. Filter roll use is going very slowly, but once again, this time period isn't a really good measurement period. At this rate it appears to be 3 months before I have to change.

What I can say is that since install, Clarisea has given me zero problems. I hear it roll very occasionally, otherwise I forget that it's there. I'm very glad I took the time and expense to install it even considering I had to mod the sump and return plumbing.

GermanJosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been working perfectly so far. Water is crystal clear, but I also have a new tank so I'd expect it to be pretty clear. Filter roll use is going very slowly, but once again, this time period isn't a really good measurement period. At this rate it appears to be 3 months before I have to change.

What I can say is that since install, Clarisea has given me zero problems. I hear it roll very occasionally, otherwise I forget that it's there. I'm very glad I took the time and expense to install it even considering I had to mod the sump and return plumbing.

do you have any pictures when installing the Aquamaxx reactor and setting it up specifically for GFO? I cant seem to be able to tumble mine in the aquamaxx reactor

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any pictures when installing the Aquamaxx reactor and setting it up specifically for GFO? I cant seem to be able to tumble mine in the aquamaxx reactor

Post #1 will show you how to install it but I don’t think he uses GFO yet. I would love to see it too if they tumble with the setup

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #1 will show you how to install it but I don’t think he uses GFO yet. I would love to see it too if they tumble with the setup

That's right, I haven't actually used media in the first reactor yet, but I'm starting to experience my first algae blooms, so I might install it in the next few days. I will take some detailed photos on how to service it when I do.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right, I haven't actually used media in the first reactor yet, but I'm starting to experience my first algae blooms, so I might install it in the next few days. I will take some detailed photos on how to service it when I do.

Do you run the lights during cycling? I am thinking to not run my lights during cycling to avoid or minimize algae blooms.

OP
OP
Eight

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run the lights during cycling? I am thinking to not run my lights during cycling to avoid or minimize algae blooms.

Hi there! Yes, no lights during the cycle to minimize algae. I actually have a tiny diatom bloom occurring right now, primarily visible on the sand. This has coincided with me turning on the lights for a few coral additions. TBH, this is a good sign for me as the tank is finally maturing. I am using strong flow and a turkey baster to keep diatoms in check and letting the clarisea keep the water column clear.

Today I might add in a small amount of GFO and adjust the carbon reactor. I noticed a small tiny leak at the Aquamaxx carbon reactor where I had to mod the joint with the double O-Rings. Should be easily remedied. Otherwise tank is doing great! I actually failed to exercise restraint with AquaSD's Leap Year sale, so expect a bunch of frags to come in tomorrow. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back