Jay's IM 20 Peninsula

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over 2 weeks with the Dr Tims in there and the Nitrates are still really high. Should I just let it run its course or try to get someone local with some tank bacteria?

Nitrates are your end goal. Need to see if you have ammonia and nitrites. Once they are 0 your tank will be good for livestock.

Len

OP
OP
Kovacjr

Kovacjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have Nitrites, Very high 5ppm + Ammonia was 0 Nitrate was 160ppm+ I did another Ammonium chloride dose of the Dr tims and over night its reading .5ppm.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would just wait it out and not do anything except test for nitrites every day or 2. It's not worth even testing nitrate until you have 0 nitrites because the reading will be off anyway.

OP
OP
Kovacjr

Kovacjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well part of my trouble was that I didn't add the fish when I was supposed to according to the Dr Tim schedule as I didnt have one that I wanted yet. So on the direction of a local reefer when my Ammonia dropped to 0 again I needed to add a fish to finish keep it going. I had settled on a Maine Mocha, a really cute and active guy. been in the tank now for 3 days. Active, eating and not stressed. I acclimated him in the bag for 15min to get the temp equal then into a small bucket for a drip line. I doubled the volume over the next 30mins. After than he went in. Its the sole occupant for now. Next week I want to get my Fuge started up with my Pod population. In a couple weeks I'll need to get a few snails for a CUC and like to get some Cerith and Nassarius. Id like some Fighting Conch too. Id like to have a pincushion Urchin in the future. We will see.

My son named him Stripes. Hes about 1.25" long.

stripes in tank.jpg

Stripes.jpg

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great! Glad to see you got yourself a fish especially a clown. Are you thinking of adding another friend in there with him?

OP
OP
Kovacjr

Kovacjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great! Glad to see you got yourself a fish especially a clown. Are you thinking of adding another friend in there with him?
Yes but I dont know what. Like the Fairy Wrasses but a few said they are not easy or good for my tank. Others say rehome them when too large. Like a few Gobys too but some are either again too big in the long run or big money. Hopefully soon Ill have algae to get my snails I want. Like to get a sifting starfish too. Well see.

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the rock! Looks awesome!
McCosker Flasher Wrasse, Tanaka Pygmy Wrasse, Tailspot Blenny, & Azure Damsel would look great in there in my opinion.

OP
OP
Kovacjr

Kovacjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have this vision in my head of what I think it might look like living. haha.

The McCosker is on my list now to find. Came across it as an option over the weekend searching around. Many others too but most too large.

OP
OP
Kovacjr

Kovacjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got back from my trip and set up the Fuge in from Algae Barn. Sea Lettuce and Marine Pure Spheres.. Also put in a CUC. Got in 6 Cerith, 6 Nassarius and 10 Astrea snails. Had a bit of a diatom bloom on the rocks and sand. They seem to be happy and moving around and stirring up the sand. The shop also threw in this other snail, he has some radial spikes and is somewhat flat. Very slow but is eating away.

I also put in my 2nd fish, a Blue Damsel, hope he doesn't turn into a jerk! Hes just over an inch long. Seems to be doing good and has been seen swimming around with my Clown. Mostly he has been hiding under a rock ledge but came out and ate today. Today was their first day on frozen food at home. The Damsel has been on frozen at the store and hopefully he will start to take flake and pellet too. My plan is to exchange food through the week. That way when Im away and others need to feed, the pellet and flake is easier for them.

While there I also picked up 2 small frags of Zoas.

I also made up a spreadsheet so I can track the testing, Phyto and waterchanges

CA330
MG1280
KH 8.4
PH 8.0
NH3 0
PO4 BELOW .01
NO2 .25
NO3 0
78deg

So the low nitrate I assume is due to the add of the Fuge? It was 20 then 10 now 0. I added the fish and coral yesterday so will test again in 2 days and see if its risen from feeding and new bioload of the corals too. I understand that 10-30 is pretty average for a reef tank. Read that is 0 for too long other troubles arise.

Orange Bambam new Feb 2019.jpg

misc Zoa new Feb 2019.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back