HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the title states I am looking for suggestions for lighting. I currently own an AI Prime HD for my IM Nuvo Fusion 10 gallon so an AI would be preferred but I have heard some not so good things about the Hydra HD's on this tank. I like the Kessil lights but have also heard those create too many shadows in this tank and from what I hear I would need 2, and I am not too fond of the heft price tag. I was also recommended the Nano Maxspect Razor but have no experience with those. Just interested on what lights you are using and how you feel about them.

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that tank and tried a few lights.

The XR15 shades ALOT. It covers the top portion well but you will have alot of shaded areas. If you do decide to go the Ecotech route, then I recommend the XR30 for better coverage.

IMG_20170106_143610_zps52vaiwcm.jpg

The Ocean Revive is a great light and comes with the mounting legs which compliments the tank nicely. It has great coverage and a timer/remote. It's also around $150.

IMG_20160710_131818_zps9w3ywaw8.jpg

If you wanna go extreme like me.. Then a 24" ATI T5 Hybrid with Nanobox Led's is what I liked best.

IMG_20170513_142500_zpsbcrcpfbg.jpg

I also tried an AI Prime which had even less coverage and more shading than the XR15.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that tank and tried a few lights.

The XR15 shades ALOT. It covers the top portion well but you will have alot of shaded areas. If you do decide to go the Ecotech route, then I recommend the XR30 for better coverage.

IMG_20170106_143610_zps52vaiwcm.jpg

The Ocean Revive is a great light and comes with the mounting legs which compliments the tank nicely. It has great coverage and a timer/remote. It's also around $150.

IMG_20160710_131818_zps9w3ywaw8.jpg

If you wanna go extreme like me.. Then a 24" ATI T5 Hybrid with Nanobox Led's is what I liked best.

IMG_20170513_142500_zpsbcrcpfbg.jpg

I also tried an AI Prime which had even less coverage and more shading than the XR15.
I absolutely love that Scape! I'll have to check out these lights asap!

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giesemann Spectra 24", run a 250w radium on an electronic ballast set to super lumens and compliment it with Blue+ T5s... put it on a timer, sit back and watch stuff grow like crazy, no muss, no fuss ;)

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giesemann Spectra 24", run a 250w radium on an electronic ballast set to super lumens and compliment it with Blue+ T5s... put it on a timer, sit back and watch stuff grow like crazy, no muss, no fuss ;)

I was thinking of doing a Giesemann on a bigger tank when I have the money and move into my own house where I can have a fishroom and actually build some rooms around the tank haha.

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of doing a Giesemann on a bigger tank when I have the money and move into my own house where I can have a fishroom and actually build some rooms around the tank haha.

On my last tank, 38g cube, I ran a kessil, then that ocean revive picture above. I did great with LPS but struggled a bit when I started adding SPS.. I'm sure it's because I don't know what the heck I'm doing. With my current tank I went with the Giesemann. The tank is SPS only and so far I am very, very pleased with growth and coloration.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my last tank, 38g cube, I ran a kessil, then that ocean revive picture above. I did great with LPS but struggled a bit when I started adding SPS.. I'm sure it's because I don't know what the heck I'm doing. With my current tank I went with the Giesemann. The tank is SPS only and so far I am very, very pleased with growth and coloration.
Any photos of your tank?

I put two primes over my 30 and it's pretty nice!

How do you like it? and what %'s are you running at?

I think most would agree that Ecotech and AI (which is owned by Ecotech) make great reef LED lighting systems.

I really love everything Ecotech does but thought I would step up to a radion and see how I like it.

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank has been running two months. I don't have any really new pics as I've just added 14 more frags and will receive another 8 on Friday. I also have moved the powerheads in an effort to keep the sand bed down ;) Attaching a picture of the old cube.. Then the new build.. you'll have to zoom to find the 8 frags.. pic was taken about about a month ago.
20160217_192456.jpg
20170426_201923.jpg

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your schedule, if you wait for the Black Friday sale they had the Giesemann Spectra on sale, buy the ballast now and the bulbs to soften the blow. Buy once never need to change later unless you upgrade the size of the tank. PS about the same price as a Radion Pro. Or just buy a used Infinity or ATI light.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back