Jebao quality

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really can't spend a ton on a d/c wavemaker but I am tired of trying to get flow correct with ac pumps. I know jebao is a chinese brand but they are in my price range. I am worried about stray current, flow reversal, or or failing in a short period. Can someone with experience with these pumps add their input? I am also looking for other recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used their rw4's and the dc650 and had no issues. I just cleaned the rw4's a little more than I would say a MP10. About every month or so I would take the pumps out and give them a good cleaning.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would never trust a piece of jebao equipment in my house, much less in my reef tank, while I know they have improved, many years ago people were posting pics of their halfmelted controllers/power supply that nearly caused a house fire!

Not to mention, its recommended you buy an additional one as a back up because of their high fail rate, needs to be cleaned often otherwise they will slow down significantly, heavy metal leeching from its shoddy construction and materials has been a possible issue too.

Buy once, cry once. Get a Tunze

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at these pumps that´s basically is jebao pumps but very good DC pumps. I´m talking about the Coral Box DCA series with the new controller. I have run them for more than 1 year now without cleaning or serving them

Sincerely Lasse

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran their DCP pumps and different wavemakers and have absolutely no complaints. I like the control ability with the DC pumps over AC. Agree with Lasse above. I buy a few of my products through them.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao in my opinion is what it is, cheap, a little nasty but they work. They have some ok products and some pretty bad products. I have owned a number of their pumps, I would not call them great they are ok, they work but they are cheap, i knew what I was in for.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are 4 to 5 times cheaper than their equal name brand competition.
I've had 2 Dct return pumps and 2 of there biggest wave pumps for over 2 years with no issues. I figure if they last 2 years and I go through 4 of them in 8 years I'll be even money. I know the expensive brand names aren't running trouble free without replacement parts for 8 years. So I'm ahead.

Andy69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 pp8s
dc 5000
dc 8000
3 yrs. + and all running flawlessly!

Just received CBox QP16+ from reefbreeders & it’s working great so far.
Maybe worth a try with 12 month warranty

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

Here is my take. I am an equipment snob. My 180 has all the names. I set up a 90 budget and put in a jebao rw wavemaker and so far have been impressed. Downside, noisy, large, cord in tank. Plus side, super cheap, moves a ton of water, the random flow has a better spread than my mp40 and it has an auto night mode sensor built into controller.

That said I have heard of issues, but only heard. It does not mean they are not true, but since these pumps have wires in the tank people may not have put drip loops on the wires and that is how the controllers shorted. Also not sure about the shafts. I will say, like mentioned above I don’t clean equipment. I will leave it in there until it fails or gets jammed by something. So we will see about long term

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newest models are great! Quiet, last long, and just work. Jebao used to have a terrible reputation like Hyundai and Kia, but as the models progressed they are much better.

mine more people than you relative own them, though I use jebao, I would never own a Hyundai or Kia, lol

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No complaints. With all my jebao products. Return pumps are FANTASTIC. Even bubbaque runs them on his Amazing sps tank. Only problems I have had is cleaning them with straight vinegar. Killed two pumps. Once I figured it out 3 years+ on everything else. I personally can not wait for the patent to run out on mp40s. Price gouges all the way. Jebao will get it done and sell for 1/2 the price.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For stray current, please use a grounding probe. Any electrical device can be lethal in water. See the sticky thread here on R2R.

For Jebao, here's our gear.

Pumps:
DCP2500 - 3+ years & 100% uptime.
DCP6500 - 6 months & 100% uptime.
x2 DCP8000 - 1+ year & 99.999% uptime (one pump has stopped twice but restarts when unplugged / plugged). Using a dual return configuration mitigates this regardless of brand.

Wavemakers:
x2 OW50s - 1+ year & 100% uptime.

I would buy again.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be concerned about lethal currents with 24V DC devices, I would be more worried about stray currents affecting other devices. I also would not use a grounding probe, especially if you tank is not earth leakage protected.

No problem in my opinion with Jebao pumps, they are like most other submersible devices and are sealed very well.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine more people than you relative own them, though I use jebao, I would never own a Hyundai or Kia, lol
Since more than 15 years - my cars have been a KIA Picanto model - nema problema :D

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problems I have had is cleaning them with straight vinegar. Killed two pumps. Once I figured it out 3 years+ on everything else. I personally can not wait for the patent to run out on mp40s
Use citric acid instead - it is also valid for cleaning mp40s. The plastic in them can´t tolerate vinegar.

Sincerely Lasse

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 with all the high end equipment but recently set up a 40 using all jebao. I much prefer jebao. I sold my ecotech pumps and replaced them with jebao, they are dead silent and do the exact same thing. I now have triple redundant return pumps for half the price:)

I love hearing people say about the house fires, same with black boxes, it has never happened yet people spread the news!

Michael Curtis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first looking into pumps I'm sure i came across there not cheep Chinese pumps as most people think they are.

There actually made for DD at least the dcp range are and so is most the coral box equipment to its just a cheep unbranded version of there more expencive ranges.

Ifrc there are a lot lot of cheep knockoff versions under the same brand name heading not associated with DD and its all about the model number if its a knockoff or the real deal.

Could always ask DD if your not sure what there product range is

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 with all the high end equipment but recently set up a 40 using all jebao. I much prefer jebao. I sold my ecotech pumps and replaced them with jebao, they are dead silent and do the exact same thing. I now have triple redundant return pumps for half the price:)

I love hearing people say about the house fires, same with black boxes, it has never happened yet people spread the news!

Not to argue, but....

Screenshot_20200611-063732_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20200611-064013_Google.jpg

Back