Jebao quality

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my RW-8 on 0.7 sec on - 0.7 sec of - 7/24. During 4 years I have change 3 pumps (I run 2 pumps in the set up) No cleaning because they are hidden. I´m not sure that Tunze been run this way had been a better choice.

Sincerely Lasse

U

User1

View Badges
Just curious - what sort of program were you running them on? I have a suspicion that the on-off wavemaker pattern beats the heck out of them - mine run on the W2 up-down cycle instead of on-off

That could be although they had their own controller but maybe that was just a percentage of power. I used a custom program that would alternate between reef crest, tidal swell, nutrient export, and lagoon throughout the day over 24 hours. 20% lowest setting and 80% being max from what I recall.

Both rw4 and 8 worked. No idea why about after I year I ran into problems. Could be as you suggest. The only thing I really didn't care was that they had to be cleaned about every 2 weeks in my aquarium. Could be dirtier than others and be different for other tanks. What I did notice though is that over time you could visibly see the fall off from a clean to week use performance delta.

Never thought about the flow pattern change vs. design though - good point.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... seeing that many other experienced reefers have chimed in here and claimed to be using Jebaos with no issues and with fairly good longevity, Im tempted to try one, it would be as just a backup perhaps but more so this thread has made me curious, how good can the more recent models of these cheapy wave pumps really be?

I just placed an Amazon order for a SOW-8, hope I dont burn down my house! lol

But really, Im quite curious for $70 vs $400+ temptation has the best of me

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... seeing that many other experienced reefers have chimed in here and claimed to be using Jebaos with no issues and with fairly good longevity, Im tempted to try one, it would be as just a backup perhaps but more so this thread has made me curious, how good can the more recent models of these cheapy wave pumps really be?

I just placed an Amazon order for a SOW-8, hope I dont burn down my house! lol

But really, Im quite curious for $70 vs $400+ temptation has the best of me
My 2 ow-25's ran for 11 months no issues and push as much water as my 6095's.
They are backup now.
2 6095's were $450.
2 ow-25's were $98.
I replaced them with used 6105's. I got 3 used for $200.

2 ow-40's are $129.
2 6105's new are $570.
They both push the same amount of water.

The jebao's are also rebranded by many companies.

With all that said I think they are pretty good for the money. I just wont buy them anymore because of patent issues.

I just prefer Tunze and am always looking for used Tunze equipment.

Algaewarrior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with their gyre? It looks kind of bulky but I really want a gyre and don't want to shell out 200 for an entry model of some bigger brand. I have an ow10 that have been working great for almost a year.

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Jebao pump, wave makers and this gyro style wave maker. I don't have them too long but so far so good. They can fail in a month but hey, Amazon Prime...
I prefer to have spare pump just in case of failure instead of 1 expensive pump. Jebao can work for 10 years or 6 months. The same for expensive pumps. I won't buy backup expensive pump.

All these negative opinions here I think are from people when you ask them what aquarium do you have they answer "waterbox 750xxl v2 upgraded deluxe".... awesome, good for you but I don't pay much attention to color of my plumbing. I have clean water full of corals and fish. This is what matters in this hobby for me, not equipment.

I went fancy and purchased Apex. Guess what, one outlet doesn't shut down, no idea why. Expensive equipment also fails.

roninmagik1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been using my jebao rw-4 for 4 years now, i've cleaned it twice when i noticed the wave making power didn't seem as good as i remembered, and after a good cleaning, it would go back to normal power. It still going strong, and i'm thinking about buying another one now, after reading alot of comments in this thread about having a backup ready to go in case of a failure, i never thought of that, but it's a good idea! = )

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 OW-10s and an OW25. Great pumps very quite. The OW10s are golf ball size and push a lot of water. My tank size is 125. I would use these again. Nothing compares size, quietness, and price wise. A lot of times ebay will also offer insurance for under 5 bucks on them and if they fail within 2-3 years, you get a replacement... Hard to beat.

For example OW series, starts at 49.99 goes up to 80 for the biggest size which is 5200gph+, 2.99 for additional 2 year insurance... Its hard to not buy it really.
ebay link

guily yalai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a good thing to run pump for years without leaning, I run a hygger wave pump install on the middle wall and clean it once a year, that's one of the ways to keep it working well.

JebronLames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really can't spend a ton on a d/c wavemaker but I am tired of trying to get flow correct with ac pumps. I know jebao is a chinese brand but they are in my price range. I am worried about stray current, flow reversal, or or failing in a short period. Can someone with experience with these pumps add their input? I am also looking for other recommendations.
Mine failed under 2 years. It killed one of my fish in QT. I have this 7 years old Tunze wavemaker and it's still working perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prof is the pudding as they say. This tank has since the start for nearly 6 years ago been driven by pumps from Coral box and Jebao- It is a no WC system and at least 4 ICP test a year. The ICP tests have not shown any signs of substances that may have come from the pumps during this 6 years. I have two Jebao RW-8 wavemakers - the oldest model. I have changed 5 pump motors during this time but I do never clean them because they are hidden in the background - it take some times to "dig" them out :)- They are in rather narrow and small caves and I can+t change to the newer models. These pumps have electronics in the pump - newer models have all electronics in the controller, hence much longer life span.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a good thing to run pump for years without leaning, I run a hygger wave pump install on the middle wall and clean it once a year, that's one of the ways to keep it working well.
I totally agree with you, you need to clean your aquarium equipment. Once every 6 months or a year is a very good practice. They get gummed up and filled with algae and other stuff. Bottom line, they need to be cleaned. The entire sump needs to be vacuumed every 6 months or so. You gotta pick up all the detritus and crap that lands on the bottom.
There are a couple of schools of thought on it. The ocean cleanses itself through motion of the water. If you think that you have enough motion going through your sump to clean it, more power to you. I beg to differ. A sump needs maintenance just like anything else if you want to keep it and everything it is supporting in good shape…mostly the corals and fishes. Clean sump = clean water = happy, healthy environment. IMHO

I love Hygger equipment. I have wavemakers, heaters and dual port air bubblers from Hygger. They have very sturdy equipment. Their heaters, especially. Love that company.

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prof is the pudding as they say. This tank has since the start for nearly 6 years ago been driven by pumps from Coral box and Jebao- It is a no WC system and at least 4 ICP test a year. The ICP tests have not shown any signs of substances that may have come from the pumps during this 6 years. I have two Jebao RW-8 wavemakers - the oldest model. I have changed 5 pump motors during this time but I do never clean them because they are hidden in the background - it take some times to "dig" them out :)- They are in rather narrow and small caves and I can+t change to the newer models. These pumps have electronics in the pump - newer models have all electronics in the controller, hence much longer life span.

Sincerely Lasse

Your aquarium is beautiful. I think that people get confused between what the equipment does and the Aquarist’s husbandry does. It looks like to me that you take extremely good care of your aquarium and its inhabitants. Whatever you are doing, it is working for you, for sure.

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

I responded to another person regarding cleaning of their pumps. Like I said in my reply to you, whatever you are doing, is working and you are doing an excellent job. It’s beautiful! Kind of my point for cleaning is that not everyone knows how to take care of things so, for me…I have only cleaned my return pump once in 18 months. Yes, it is tough to dig it out of there, unhook it and all of what it takes to clean it. My point more than anything is, “…how do you take care of your aquarium and animals”? Everyone is different and things that work for some don’t work for others. It’s really up to you and how much time and effort you put into the critical and important things in your underwater world. What you are doing is working. One word of caution would be to have a redundant pump on hand if something were to go awry. And, it does happen. Power outages, electronic failure, age of equipment. It all happens to the best of us and having spares is a really good idea…to get us along until we install a permanent solution to an issue. Again, beautiful aquarium and I am certain that you are enjoying it. Looks like it! JL

Last edited:

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use citric acid instead - it is also valid for cleaning mp40s. The plastic in them can´t tolerate vinegar.

Sincerely Lasse
Vinegar will take the paint off of the wall. You have to be careful with vinegar. It cleans almost everything…and, it will kill your animals if you are not careful.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used them for years . Only 1 power supply burnt out . And one wave maker motor seized .
but all in all . Good for the price paid .

that being said . There are reports of the main reason to not purchase or support them is they steal patterns from name brands to replicate for a fraction of the cost .
Almost implying cutting throats and stepping on toes type of business

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked this somewhere before I am trying to figure out which model was the first that was not wireless, I have a Light House controller I think is the name from Joe Jaworski and I want to use it.

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used them for years . Only 1 power supply burnt out . And one wave maker motor seized .
but all in all . Good for the price paid .

that being said . There are reports of the main reason to not purchase or support them is they steal patterns from name brands to replicate for a fraction of the cost .
Almost implying cutting throats and stepping on toes type of business
I believe that is what is called a “knock off”. There are many, many companies that do the same thing. I have read what seems like hundreds of posts about people in this hobby using Jebao and they have great experience with them. This is an expensive hobby and not everyone has a zillion dollars to buy the high-end name brand equipment. I think that it more about what you want and if it is having a beautiful underwater world in your home for less money, go for it! It leaves more money for redundancy and more animals.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that is what is called a “knock off”. There are many, many companies that do the same thing. I have read what seems like hundreds of posts about people in this hobby using Jebao and they have great experience with them. This is an expensive hobby and not everyone has a zillion dollars to buy the high-end name brand equipment. I think that it more about what you want and if it is having a beautiful underwater world in your home for less money, go for it! It leaves more money for redundancy and more animals.
I am on the all for saving money and using jeabo
Actually they are all I have ever purchases and don’t have any complaints in terms of quality .
they move a lot of water for a fraction of the price.

Most of the pumps and wave makers I have I had for a few years .

one thing to remember is never clean them with vinegar .

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really can't spend a ton on a d/c wavemaker but I am tired of trying to get flow correct with ac pumps. I know jebao is a chinese brand but they are in my price range. I am worried about stray current, flow reversal, or or failing in a short period. Can someone with experience with these pumps add their input? I am also looking for other recommendations.
I’ll tell you a story about my RedSea ReefWave25. I bought it in June 2020, not yet 2 years old. When I first got it, it was difficult to connect to my WiFi and not because the instructions were difficult, it just didn’t want to connect. Every time my router or worse yet, my modem went down, I struggled to reconnect the RedSea ReefWave25 to the WiFi. Finally, this past month, it lost connection to the Internet and for the life of me, I haven’t been able to reconnect. I contacted RedSea and they have been very gracious. They contacted me back after two inquiries over email and we went through the reset process several times and couldn’t get the controller to reset itself and connect to the Internet. I have a mesh satellite system in my house and only my iPhone, iPad, a speaker and my other aquarium controllers are connected to the WiFi. I have a 1,300 sq ft house so, there is no overload whatsoever. The woman that I spoke with at RedSea offered to send me a new Controller, which was cool. What is not cool is that my animals have been without a strong enough current for several weeks while I have been trying to diagnose this problem. The manual operation of the controller doesn’t work very well, at all. I love RedSea and I love their aquariums, but this ReefWave25 has been problematic from the beginning. The RedSea ReefWave25 sells for $280 and I would be hesitant to purchase another one based upon my experience which is really sad and unfortunate because the RedSea company has so much going on, you would think that they would be able to pull off making a wavemaker for a 50 gallon tank and be consistent…don’t you think?
I sort of keep giving these ‘wishy-washy’ posts about what you do is what you decide that you want or what you need, ultimately. I mean, I can’t decide for anyone about how they choose their equipment, I can only tell you about my experience. Maybe I got a lemon? Don’t know. I am not happy about it, for sure. I love my RedSea aquarium. It is awesome! I love RedSea salt and their other products like AB+. I’m just not crazy about the ReefWave25 at this point. Having said all that…The RedSea ReefWave25 is relatively easy to set up (if it easily connects to your WiFi), it is easily installed, it has 5 different waves and 5 different intensities going both directions, it is a ‘bar’ so, it is not a power head and doesn’t need a partner to create the gyro effect. It is a great wavemaker for all intents and purposes. I, personally have had trouble getting it to connect to the Internet. Maybe others have a different experience. This has been mine. Best of luck to you in your search. This is an amazing forum for asking these questions. Listen to what folks have to say…they absolutely know what they are talking about. Cheers JL

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back