2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to argue, but....

Screenshot_20200611-063732_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20200611-064013_Google.jpg

Did you read these articles? The first was splashed with salt water, the second was using a three way prong outlet which has been proven time and time again to cause melting/burning. I cant find the third article.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I look at it we need a company like jebao making affordable good products.
I have a few return pumps and I have had no problem. I also use the new swl20 its the same as the Nero wave maker. The difference was that Nero cost $250 when it 1st release. They had to lower the price to $200 to compete with the $75 jebao.

By the way speaking of fire I have had a Neptune eb8 and eb32 at two separate occasions Burn out. That’s suppose to be a quality product.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The poor man buys twice, time to bow out of this thread though, nothing wrong with Jebao, they are ok but you must realise you are buying.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read these articles? The first was splashed with salt water, the second was using a three way prong outlet which has been proven time and time again to cause melting/burning. I cant find the third article.

Screenshot_20200611-073346_Chrome.jpg

Three way prong outlet? proven to cause melting? guess that means we should all use ungrounded equipment?

Sorry, too many horror stories out there on their older products causing potential fire hazards all over RC/R2R not going to hunt them all down.

Maybe Im an equipment snob, but in the two decades I have been into reef aquariums I have learned the hard way many times that going cheap many times ends up with a headache if you are lucky and heartache if you are not.

Agree to disagree, have a good day

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 way prong outlet I would think poster means like
1591876110087.png

I am Jebao all the way. Currently only have one of their DC return pumps and it is excellent. They seem to improve with each generation of pumps.

I would never buy ecotech but I would buy tunze.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Three way prong outlet? proven to cause melting? guess that means we should all use ungrounded equipment?

Sorry, too many horror stories out there on their older products causing potential fire hazards all over RC/R2R not going to hunt them all down.

Maybe Im an equipment snob, but in the two decades I have been into reef aquariums I have learned the hard way many times that going cheap many times ends up with a headache if you are lucky and heartache if you are not.

By three way prong I meant what is posted below here. There are many posts with heaters melting these. Recently a BRS heater caused melting and the culprit was tied to one of these.

Yes we can agree to disagree :)

3 way prong outlet I would think poster means like
1591876110087.png

I am Jebao all the way. Currently only have one of their DC return pumps and it is excellent. They seem to improve with each generation of pumps.

I would never buy ecotech but I would buy tunze.

Yes thank you, this is what I meant. I also use tunze and jebao now.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had lots of jebao pumps with zero issues. I Just retired a RW-4 that has been running 24x7 for five years without cleaning!! Running ow-25's on my current reef and they are amazing for the price.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

you are an equipment snob. I have had alot of Jebao products and never once had any issues.
You take 1 or 2 articles that happened over thousands upon thousands sold.
How about link the article about the poor design of the first vectra pump where it was causing to much heat on the inside impeller because of poor cooling and was burning up. I believe its posted here on reef2reef. so if we are only using one example over tons sold to call a product dangerous you better lump that in as well.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first looking into pumps I'm sure i came across there not cheep Chinese pumps as most people think they are.

There actually made for DD at least the dcp range are and so is most the coral box equipment to its just a cheep unbranded version of there more expencive ranges.

Ifrc there are a lot lot of cheep knockoff versions under the same brand name heading not associated with DD and its all about the model number if its a knockoff or the real deal.

Could always ask DD if your not sure what there product range is
He is referring to a UK brand DD the aquarium solution that sell Jebao pumps under the name jetcod. IMO - Jebao is the largest OEM factory for aquarium pumps in the world. Different brands use these pumps and have rebranded them. Of all these pumps that I have used since they was introduced (and I have used many) are the new Coral Box DCA smart pumps the best I have used.

Sincerely Lasse

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, calm down guys they are just pumps... forums are always a good source of entertainment.

You are right! But people doing quick searches find threads on people claiming jebao, black box LED ect. cause fires. They then think they need the overpriced equipment and drop out of the hobby. Its important that people know these horror stories are not true. Like mentioned above, ecotech L1 pumps melted themselves from over heating and they are 3x the price of jebao.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Jaebo slw10 and slw20. An extra $5 got me a 2 yr warranty on ebay too. If they go out within 2 yrs, free replacement, if they last longer, I got my money's worth imo.

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure 90% of the “my jebao almost caught my house on fire” is because they got the controller wet. I’ve never had an issue and I’m currently running the smaller crossflow(not sure on the exact model).

After all, they’re just reverse-engineered name brand pumps.I find it hard to believe the construction/ materials are that much different.

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running a Jebao DCP-6500 since June last year without any issues. Pump is extremely silent and no issues so far.

I was previously using an Eheim 1260, which did the job, but I wanted a DC pump. Due to hearing about similar concerns mentioned in this thread about reliability and lifespan of Jebao pumps, I held onto the Eheim 1260 pump as a backup.

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to argue, but....

Screenshot_20200611-063732_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20200611-064013_Google.jpg
if the most recent one is 2018, that’d be a flimsy argument anyway. Are there any from like 2019-20?

How many cars get recall notices? I can’t think of a single manufacturer who hasn’t had one... I’m not gonna stop driving my Chevy because of a recall from two years ago. Or because someone had an accident driving the same year and model.

Could it be manufacturer error? Possibly. But I’m willing to bet it’s a user error in most cases

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only owned one Jebao pump and it was AC. It used 4 x the wattage it was advertised to use and raised my tank temp 5 degrees because the poor quality. The reason why they get a bad rap is because originally when they came out with DC they looked like Tunze and used the WP40 name which was a spin on the Ecotech MP40. RIO is a cheap pump, when they first came out they where poor quality, but have gotten much better over the years. We all find ways to cut cost our hobby, it is your choice. They get harpooned more because of their past business practice, than because of their latest quality.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right! But people doing quick searches find threads on people claiming jebao, black box LED ect. cause fires. They then think they need the overpriced equipment and drop out of the hobby. Its important that people know these horror stories are not true. Like mentioned above, ecotech L1 pumps melted themselves from over heating and they are 3x the price of jebao.

Tunze products are worth every penny and are not overpriced IMO. Norbert Tunze invented the powerhead.

I have a 6101 I bought in 2005 and it still works great and will probably continue working for another 15 years.
Show me a 5+ year old working jebao and Ill be shocked.
Also how about that quality customer service and warranty from Jebao? lol, Yeah, good luck with that !

If you want to buy cheapy knock off equipment for your reefs, hey, have at it hoss !
But dont be surprised if/when it fails at the most inconvenient time possible like when you are away from the tank, because thats what usually happens.

Sorry if I offended anyone and their precious jebao pumps, jeeze! calm down

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this thread was about Jebao?

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze products are worth every penny and are not overpriced IMO. Norbert Tunze invented the powerhead.

I have a 6101 I bought in 2005 and it still works great and will probably continue working for another 15 years.
Show me a 5+ year old working jebao and Ill be shocked.
Also how about that quality customer service and warranty from Jebao? lol, Yeah, good luck with that !

If you want to buy cheapy knock off equipment for your reefs, hey, have at it hoss !
But dont be surprised if/when it fails at the most inconvenient time possible like when you are away from the tank, because thats what usually happens.

Sorry if I offended anyone and their precious jebao pumps, jeeze! calm down

I use tunze wave makers as well, I have a 6095 and 6105, love them both.

I also have jebao ow series pumps and they are no different but much cheaper.

People on this thread have posted about 5+ year jebaos.

All equipment can fail, cheap or not :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any and all factual information, clear and concise about any device used in our hobby, that documents failures is more than welcome!

It's about educating the masses and of risk involved with their use. It just makes sense to let everyone know.

Now just general statements with anecdotal, or hearsay isn't going to help anyone and does come off as "fanboy" of other products. Let's not go there please.

With that said, I'm using RW 15's as a main water mover in my tank. One just died a few months ago and the other is still running. I replaced the dead one with a RW8. All have been running for 5 years! I can say I got my money's worth out of them.

I will buy them again.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back