Jeff's 75g

jeffesaurusrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, new member here. I've been meaning to join up since I saw all the posts on the LiveAquaria Facebook page (good idea :)), so here I am. :) I'm a security guard from Terre Haute, IN.

I've always wanted an aquarium but I didn't really like any freshwater fish and I was afraid of saltwater maintenance. When my girlfriend's sister set up a small 5g saltwater tank I kind of saw that there wasn't that much to it, and when she upgraded I started that little 5g tank she had with just a clownfish and a couple of snails. I soon upgraded too, right to the 75g Perfecto.

A little about this setup...

It's pretty modest, with a very simple sump setup.

The sump has my Octopus NWB150 skimmer and heater, as well as a BRS dual carbon/GFO reactor fed by a MaxiJet 1200. The sump is a 20g filled about 60%, the return is a Rio pump that goes into a DIY spraybar in the DT for surface agitation. It wasn't a drilled tank and when I set it up I couldn't figure out how to tell if it was tempered glass, so I used the CPR dual bulkhead overflow instead of trying to drill. Next time I want to try closed loop. In the DT there are 2 Koralia powerheads - a 1050 and a 1400. The 1400 blows from one side across the front and the 1050 is aimed behind the rock wall. The sand is 50% from the previous owner - pink bimini sand - and 50% new Aragalive. Using half of the previous owner's cycled sand cut my cycle time to under a week - 4 days to 0 Ammonia and Nitrite. There is about 50 pounds of Marco dry rock that was in the previous owner's tank that I used. I went out and bought another 50 pounds of live rock from a local reefer for a total of around 100 pounds of rock.

My stocking list is as follows right now -
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
2 Blue Green Chromis'
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
1 Yellow Tang
1 Royal Gramma
1 Bubble Tip Anemone
1 Fluorescent Mushroom
25 button polyps
1 Tiger Snapping Shrimp
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Astrea Snail
3 Turbo Snails
12 Hermit Crabs (love these guys, I know some don't!)
Also have lots of Asterina Stars, Stomatella, a Chiton, a Pencil Urchin, a buttload of feather dusters, some yellow sponge, and a couple bigger starfish - all these guys came in as hitchhikers.

The tiger shrimp and the pink watchman are a pair, but they can rarely be seen. The live all the way under a huge rock, but come out sometimes to get food and drag stuff out and back into the cave.

I plan on adding one more fish, but I can't decide what. I kind of want one of those red velvet fairy wrasses but I'm not sure.

I feed New Life Spectrum pellets, supplemented by Seaweed Selects nori sheets and frozen mysis here and there.

So without further ado... here is the link to the imgur album of my tank! Jeff's 75G - Imgur

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back