JMac's Cade 1200

JMac82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'll try my hand at doing a build thread.

A little history. It all started when I was trying to win the Waterbox Frag 105. I knew I was going to win so I went ahead and got some more CaribSea Life Rock to start cycling. Into the Rubbermaid trashcan it went with an arch from my current Red Sea Max E-170, some Fritz Turbo and ammonia.

Well, I didn't win the Waterbox, so I started searching for an aquarium. I had rock cycling and had to have somewhere to put it. I kept looking and comparing the different manufacturers but kept coming back to the Cade. Talked with my local LFS to see if they could get rights to sell them to try and support the little guy. It was taking awhile and I didn't want to miss out on the introductory offer from Algae Barn. So at the end of Sept I pulled the trigger and it was shipped early October.

So I got everything setup around 5 Oct. Could only fill it 3/4 of the way due to lack of water. Fiji Pink live sand, the rock I had been cooking for about 1 1/2 months and the gyre all in and keeping the flow of water. Was able to finally fill her up completely a few days later. Turned on the return pump, added Marine Pure little gems and 2 cubes that I had placed in my 170 to get some bacteria in them. Added the Dr Tim's and ammonia. Kept salinity at 1.015 and temp around 85 per his video on cycling. Waited for ammonia to drop then redosed a total of 3 times.

Once I was happy with the cycle, added a couple of Molly's. They eventually had babies, 3 of them are still in my sump.

Still have to clean up the sump and organize the wiring.

Equipment;

Cade 1200
Hydor Seltz D 1600 return pump
AquaMaxx DFC 120 Skimmer
RedSea ReefWave 25
RedSea ReefLED 90 (2)
BRS 200 watt Titanium Heater (2) with controller
Skimz MBR127 Macro Reactor

Future Add Ons;

UV
AI Nero 3 (ordered, will be here on Friday)
Maybe another ReefLED 90
Dosing set-up
Neptune or some other controller (just a dream at the moment, but leaning towards the Ekora) have to do some more research.

E39CCF71-85A5-4DA7-B5E1-21A884102C20.jpeg

8520045F-B324-48D9-B26E-135FA9B3CBB2.jpeg

745B6324-6EEF-4B67-9720-E579AE442709.jpeg

This thing is a beast and packaged well;

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

Here are a few pics of how she stands as of today (26 Oct)

IMG_1796.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG

Updated a little, but now I have to get back to work.

Last edited:

Servopkg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome, I will follow your journey.

I'm really looking at this brand for a tank upgrade. Especially I like the metal stand and glass panels in the stand! Since Cade sends this mostly assembled - in the crate, does the tank/stand fit through standard 30" wide doors? Also when you plumbed the tank, does it have a emergency overflow in case the main drain becomes clogged? I'm still trying to understand the lower return inlet. Will most of the water be pulled from that area instead of the top?

OP
OP
JMac82

JMac82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks real nice. I like the rock work. My next tank setup I will work harder on that part of my build...

Thanks, it took me a few days to work on the aquascape. I spent a lot of time watching the fish swim patterns in my 170 and the tank at work. I wanted to give them plenty of swim throughs and hiding places. I’m happy with the results, hopefully the fish will enjoy it also.

OP
OP
JMac82

JMac82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome, I will follow your journey.

I'm really looking at this brand for a tank upgrade. Especially I like the metal stand and glass panels in the stand! Since Cade sends this mostly assembled - in the crate, does the tank/stand fit through standard 30" wide doors? Also when you plumbed the tank, does it have a emergency overflow in case the main drain becomes clogged? I'm still trying to understand the lower return inlet. Will most of the water be pulled from that area instead of the top?

Thanks,

Sorry it took a little while to answer you questions, had to find my tape measure. the metal stand and sump configuration is what sold me on the Cade. On 30” doors it would be tight with the crate. My doors measured 33” with the inside casing and I had room to spare with the crate.

Yes it has an emergency overflow. The plumbing was easy to assemble, the only thing I wish they included is written instructions. I did watch the video but it would be nice to have paper instead of having to go back to the computer to look.

The lower return (Weir) baffled me a little also but it is brilliant in my opinion. At first I thought they had forgot to cut the slits because I wasn’t gettin any water into the return chamber while I was filling the tank. Then I realized there is another section of glass behind the weirs which creates a flow from the lower weir To the top weir. It does pull material from the lower weir. I’m not sure of the % between the 2 weirs.

here is a pic of the drain area. Pic is upside down, the one on the right is the drain and the one on the left is the emergency drain.

5C57AEA7-E17A-42DE-8858-201E2BDEB821.jpeg

Last edited:

Servopkg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

Sorry it took a little while to answer you questions, had to find my tape measure. the metal stand and sump configuration is what sold me on the Cade. On 30” doors it would be tight with the crate. My doors measured 33” with the inside casing and I had room to spare with the crate.

Yes it has an emergency overflow. The plumbing was easy to assemble, the only thing I wish they included is written instructions. I did watch the video but it would be nice to have paper instead of having to go back to the computer to look.

The lower return (Weir) baffled me a little also but it is brilliant in my opinion. At first I thought they had forgot to cut the slits because I wasn’t gettin any water into the return chamber while I was filling the tank. Then I realized there is another section of glass behind the weirs which creates a flow from the lower weir To the top weir. It does pull material from the lower weir. I’m not sure of the % between the 2 weirs.

here is a pic of the drain area. Pic is upside down, the one on the right is the drain and the one on the left is the emergency drain.

5C57AEA7-E17A-42DE-8858-201E2BDEB821.jpeg
Thanks for the detailed answers! and photo of the drains. My front door is 35" opening so I should have no problem getting it into my house. Glad to see there is an emergency line. I also understand the Weirs a little more too- seems like there is a little section that pulls up and into the overflow. I'm really liking the options that they give you flow ports for a media reactor (I would run carbon/GFO) but its so nice that they make it so the consumer doesn't need to purchase a separate pump to power the reactor. Wonderful concept for me.

I guess regarding providing paper would be extra cost. Would be nice if they directed you to a PDF where you could print it out.
I'm curious on your take of Cade power bars and running a Apex. You think you would use a combination of both the Apex power distribution and the Cade? I would love to add LED lights in the sump area that is connected to a pressure switch so that when you open a door, it turns on/off the LED lights.

Going to this size tank would be quite an upgrade for me. I've been running a Fluval Evo 13.5 gal AIO since Feb but have my eyes on a larger tank next year or so. The stable alum stand is awesome too, strength! The cabinet that I bought for my Fluval wasn't strong enough so I had to support it with a 2x6 and a floor support. LOL

Good luck with the rest of your adventures.

OP
OP
JMac82

JMac82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious on your take of Cade power bars and running a Apex. You think you would use a combination of both the Apex power distribution and the Cade? I would love to add LED lights in the sump area that is connected to a pressure switch so that when you open a door, it turns on/off the LED lights.

The manifold is nice, I’ll eventually add a reactor as the tank matures, my main focus now is to get a check valve and UV filter connected to the return pump.

I‘m looking at the Apex, Ekoral or the new Hydros as a future purchase. I figured I would mount their power bar on the backside below the Cade power bars. With their power bars installed I probably would only use one of the Cade power bars, so may end up taking one out to leave more room for mounting controllers.

I‘m going to mount LEDs in the cabinet, I just haven’t taken the time to look for a pressure/cabinet switch.

OP
OP
JMac82

JMac82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a couple of clowns last weekend on Halloween. Edited the first post, I may finish it completely one day.

Last edited:

Alfredo77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to be off topic, how does the high fin get along with the clown (percula?) Thanks

OP
OP
JMac82

JMac82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the AquaMaxx DFC? Haven’t been able to find many reviews on them.
I like it, makes a ton of bubbles and good skimate. Took about a week to break in and I’m only running it at 60% right now due to the low bio load. The motor did make a squealing sound intermittently when I first started it up. A quick email to AquaMaxx and they had Marine Depot send me out a new skimmer.

so, a ton of bubbles, good skimate, and awesome customer service are all a win in my book.

Back