Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome 1.jpg

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I too experienced information overload which continues to this day. So much to learn! I binged on YouTube videos - huge number of experienced reefers like ReefDudes, PuffDaddy, BRS, etc. I still refer back to these videos and R2R. Good luck. Keep a bottle of aspirin handy when information overload gets painful!

Last edited:

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 17 year old is very interested in cuttlefish. He has researched them and can spout off facts about them left and right. Last year, thanks to a friend, we were lucky enough to be allowed into the cuttlefish breeding area behind the scenes at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. My son picked up some great information and made some great contacts.

He has been talking about raising cuttlefish for a good two years now and is well aware how hard it is. Though he is the driving force into this hobby, I am more of a poison dart frog/amphibian kind of person hah, I have decided to leap in with him so we can take this journey together. Our first step is to learn how to successfully keep a saltwater reef aquarium. Learn the ins and outs, the water changes, how much commitment this is going to be etc. If after a year or so of learning that and if he feels comfortable with moving forward he would try his hand at cuttlefish, raising eggs and going down that path.

We have decided, I think on a reefsystem 425xl to get us started. But after looking at a couple build threads and mixing stations and modifications and all that I am starting to panic a bit on this. Information overload and I already am getting analysis paralysis. We are trying to decide what is needed now and what we can set up later. RODI system into a trash can and just mix the water by hand and cart with buckets might be how we start. But then there is lights, and all the other stuff to think about and here we go again spiraling into information overload heh. In my day when I set up a tank full of african cichlids I just popped a fluval onto a million pound 60 gallon tank and put on the hood and called it good. Things sure have come a long way from that!

Anyway we are both excited to start this journey together and hopefully this wild ride doesnt turn into a car wreck hah. dang glad we foudn this site that is for sure.

Cuttlefish are soooo fascinating! Would love to care for them someday too!
Welcome to R2R! :)

giphy.gif

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the wonderful folks, information and help.
Patience, it is the big word around here, Reefing is patience to cycle, to watch things grow, to keep your tank balanced.
I recommend to everyone joining to create a tank build thread.
1. You get to see where you have started and how much you have grown in this hobby.
2. We love pictures and to see what your doing with your tank.
3. It’s a great learning tool for all of us to see what works and doesn’t . We learn great stuff from each other.
Lastly the only bad question here is the one not asked...

OP
OP
Toadpapa

Toadpapa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont think I can qualify for my own build thread but just made a small start today. Someone had a NIB Nano for 400 so I jumped on it. This way we can learn about the nuances of a small tank while researching and gathering parts for the 425 we will buy. Also picked up a couple key components to start our own mixing station.

20200711_143126.jpg 20200711_140242.jpg

Back