Just a rant....no offense ....lol

TonyNguyen

Unkown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been in this hobby for a 10 years give or take. I seen most of it, and can see the trend that it comes in and out. I can understand the must have SPS frags, the colors are out of this world. Also the Zoas that is many colorful design, even the Golden LPS...This been around also, but I can't just put my hands on it. The mushroom that has a "tumor" coming out and it sells for top $$$... I just can't help myself but laugh out loud...I'm sorry if this offend anyone. It's just me ranting and can't seem to understand why... Please enlighten me!! Thanks!

Happy reefing! Not meant to offend anyone...Sorry

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually never been attracted to the crazy cost corals. They are cool and usually beautiful, but not for me generally. But, I am not inclined that way - to need the coolest or newest items out there. I still run MH and t5s. I have an old homemade upflow algae scrubber. I just get corals based on whether I have a good system for them and I like the shape and color. I never know a name (well, almost never).

Some people are just drawn to new and rare. This is not an insult to anyone. People are drawn to different things. This is why we can vary so much in this hobby. Keeps us on our toes. :)

Hey, if no-one liked them, they would not sell right? Always good to get a rant out. As long as you play nice. You did.

OP
OP
TonyNguyen

TonyNguyen

Unkown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true! Has to be a trend to keep this hobby going. I remember when the Red Dragon was top $$$ now they are 10-15 frags... I guess, these "Bounce Mushroom" are a new trend. It is a big hype! I am also old school with the Superman Mushroom or the Ricordea ...Those Bounce are too cool for me. =)

Not that I don't like mushroom, I do have them in my tank.

Here are my Superman:

20180411_121433 by Tony Nguyen, on Flickr

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started reefing just over 11 years ago now. Rhodactis mushrooms were (and still are, as long as they're not some crazy rainbow morph) ten bucks a piece or less. If you would have told me that in 10 year's time people would be paying mortgage payments for what is essentially a dull rhodactis with inflated tentacles, I would have called you a liar. I wish we would call them "bounced rhodactis mushrooms" instead of "bounce mushrooms." Maybe seeing a $900 price tag next to the words "rhodactis mushroom" would give a little bit of clarity to what you're actually buying.

To be fair to rhodactis mushrooms, I don't get Homewrecker or Walt Disney frags either. If anything, I understand them less than bounce mushrooms. They're the same price as bounce mushrooms, but with all the headaches that come with buying an acropora. Namely, "will this $750 3/4" nub RTN as soon as I put it in the tank just because it feels like it?"

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 8-10 years ago, chalice corals were all the rage. 1/4" frags for hundreds of dollars were standard. I can't imagine anyone today spending $1,000 on an Echinopora frag...

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to not look at these high end corals can't afford them. Pretty much problem solved. I don't get the crazy prices either but if folks are willing to pay?

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I fist started getting into this hobby, my first mistake was to acquire the "all the hyped up" corals available back then. Years passed and it dawned on me & asked myself ... "why are you so stupid & foolish? The ocean is such a vast place and there's bound to be new & exciting corals abound every single shipment ... regardless" You just can't collect all new corals forever ... it'll never end. Nowadays I refuse to pay exorbitant prices for so called "rainbow premium corals" lit up by led's and I don't bother to enquire about the ID/custom names of corals BUT I do like to collect some very rare corals in-between (whenever I get the chance ...).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back