Just added 15 sps frags

Ccote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a established Red Sea reefer 350. Phosphate is .04. Nitrate 16, alk is 9.3. I just added 15 frags of sps I got from fish of hex. I really want these frags to survive and be awesome. Any tips? Never had sps before.

ckozma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS likes good lighting and flow. Most can handle lower lighting, they will just turn green. Alk is a little high but if you keep some phosphate in the water the tips won't burn. Make sure alk stays stable and I wouldn't really let it get any higher.

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, all the above is true to a certain extent. Some SPS you can throw in dirty water and will thrive, because they are hardy and adjusted. Keep it simple, make sure you have a well stocked tank (fishes) and feed the system with proper nutrition. Also, keeping a good Ph will help "jump" start or prevent any RTN/STN

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, all the above is true to a certain extent. Some SPS you can throw in dirty water and will thrive, because they are hardy and adjusted. Keep it simple, make sure you have a well stocked tank (fishes) and feed the system with proper nutrition. Also, keeping a good Ph will help "jump" start or prevent any RTN/STN
Which ones lol I'm asking for myself because i have nothing but LPS and a couple softies

OP
OP
C

Ccote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a orange filter for my phone so I can take pictures and document things. I’m reading every reply!

OP
OP
C

Ccote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming my alk is so high because I started dosing kalkwasser in with my ato. I am cutting back on the amount I add. Going to test again to see how much the frags have consumed.

Tariq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you success but adding 15 sps frags overnight in any system is a major biological change, specially when stability is desired.

Secondly, sps will only consume alk (and other stuff) when they start to grow. Adding them on Friday and expecting a change in alk on Sunday, I can promise you your alk is the same it was on Fri.

Go slow, start with one or two frags as you get comfortable and know what to look for.
Good luck!

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop dosing kalk and monitor alkalinity. Wait for it to start dropping, and let it go down to at least below 9. Preferably <8.5. Then, you can start adding kalk back to your ATO. Keep track of how much you have added per gallon and measure alk a few times per day. Then, adjust kalk concentration until you get consistent results.

OP
OP
C

Ccote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you success but adding 15 sps frags overnight in any system is a major biological change, specially when stability is desired.

Secondly, sps will only consume alk (and other stuff) when they start to grow. Adding them on Friday and expecting a change in alk on Sunday, I can promise you your alk is the same it was on Fri.

Go slow, start with one or two frags as you get comfortable and know what to look for.
Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Ccote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of the frags. I’ll keep updating if anything goes south

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
C

Ccote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID this frag?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 58

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @SamMule said, stop dosing alk.
then test dkh at the same time every day, say 2pm. When the alk starts to drop, resume a small kalk dose. Try to keep it constant, say 8.3 dkh, by adjusting the kalk. Eventually you will want a dosing system to spread the kalk addition out into multiple doses throughout the day, stability.
Your salt for water changes should be close in dkh for best stability.
Get an icp test to verify the levels of elements in your water.

Roca1357

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also back advice above. Stop dosing and monitor daily at the same time of day to see how your Alk is behaving. Love the SPS acronym

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ones lol I'm asking for myself because i have nothing but LPS and a couple softies
I ended up adding over 11 frags to my less than 6 month old tank….HW. RROP, SCOP, Jolt, Bill Murray, and a couple other high end sps. Trident/apex makes thing easy to monitor. You can check out my build for more info.

Good luck!
I agree, cut back the alk…unless it’s for Ph boost. But do as you please with dropping as much frags as possible.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back