Just Another 120g Reef Build

region.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All -

This will be my attempt at documenting my build process so I can one day look back at all the successes (and failures) I will make during this journey.

Through college I've had a few Simple Nano Reefs under 20g. Now that my family has moved to our forever home, I've convinced my wife that we have to build the forever tank (or like a 10+ year tank) !

The Plan
  • LPS Dominate
  • Medium/Heavy Live Stock
  • No Snails/Hermits (hoping utilitarian fish would take care of cleaning along with good habits)
  • Automation

Why LPS Dominate?
My Wife and I love the Flowy-ness(?) of Euphyllias. One of her requirements were that we didn't have many of the "stick corals".

Medium/Heavy Stocking
This is completely an assumption, as I haven't dove too heavily into the comparison but I thought LPS corals could handle nutrients of a heavier stocked tank just a little bit better than SPS corals. I'm still keeping it clean.

No Snails/Hermits
I just find the shells of murdered Snails lying over the sand bed dirty. And I don't want to buy hermits more shells. I like the sand bed to be clean as possible since the Boss decided we can't do Barebottom :rolleyes:

Automation
I'm a Software Engineer by Trade so naturally I'd like to tie this into my hobbies where I can. I also travel a lot for work, So monitoring my tank's parameters and automating things such as ATO, WC's, and possible Dosing in the future would be nice.

The Display Tank will be in our formal (?) living room for when we have guests and stuff. The Sump is in the basement in the Fish Room I just built.

Equipment Info
  • Planet Aquarium
    • 120g Tank
    • Internal Overflow
    • Stand/Canopy
  • Acrylic Habitats
    • Leviathan LR54 Sump Refugium (60g)
    • In Fishroom directly below Display
  • Bulk Reef Supply
    • 6-Stage RODI
    • 600W Titanium Heater w/ InkBird Controller
  • Adaptive Reef
    • Controller Cabinet
  • Neptune Systems
    • Apex EL Controller
    • DOS Dosing Pump
    • FMM Fluid Module
    • EB832
    • Temp + PH Probe
    • GRO Refugium LED
  • Ecotech Marine
    • (2) XR15 Pro LED
    • (2) XR15 LED Diffuser
    • (2) MP40QD Powerhead
    • (2) Battery Backup
    • Vectra L2 Return Pump
  • Nyos
    • Quantum 160 Protein Skimmer (Rated for 250g)
Future Equipment Additions
  • Plumbed Secondary Return Pump
  • Secondary Heater
  • Gyre Powerhead
  • UV Sterilizer
  • Salinity Probe
  • Carbon Reactor
Fish
Open to Suggestions! Right now, Bristletooth Tang and Foxface are looking pretty good for utilitarian purposes.

Clean Up Crew
I know I won't have any Snails or Crabs. I'm looking at the Sand-sifting Star when the Tank is more established.

equip.jpg
Side.jpg

Sump.jpg
Front.jpg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All -

This will be my attempt at documenting my build process so I can one day look back at all the successes (and failures) I will make during this journey.

Through college I've had a few Simple Nano Reefs under 20g. Now that my family has moved to our forever home, I've convinced my wife that we have to build the forever tank (or like a 10+ year tank) !

The Plan
  • LPS Dominate
  • Medium/Heavy Live Stock
  • No Snails/Hermits (hoping utilitarian fish would take care of cleaning along with good habits)
  • Automation

Why LPS Dominate?
My Wife and I love the Flowy-ness(?) of Euphyllias. One of her requirements were that we didn't have many of the "stick corals".

Medium/Heavy Stocking
This is completely an assumption, as I haven't dove too heavily into the comparison but I thought LPS corals could handle nutrients of a heavier stocked tank just a little bit better than SPS corals. I'm still keeping it clean.

No Snails/Hermits
I just find the shells of murdered Snails lying over the sand bed dirty. And I don't want to buy hermits more shells. I like the sand bed to be clean as possible since the Boss decided we can't do Barebottom :rolleyes:

Automation
I'm a Software Engineer by Trade so naturally I'd like to tie this into my hobbies where I can. I also travel a lot for work, So monitoring my tank's parameters and automating things such as ATO, WC's, and possible Dosing in the future would be nice.

The Display Tank will be in our formal (?) living room for when we have guests and stuff. The Sump is in the basement in the Fish Room I just built.

Equipment Info
  • Planet Aquarium
    • 120g Tank
    • Internal Overflow
    • Stand/Canopy
  • Acrylic Habitats
    • Leviathan LR54 Sump Refugium (60g)
    • In Fishroom directly below Display
  • Bulk Reef Supply
    • 6-Stage RODI
    • 600W Titanium Heater w/ InkBird Controller
  • Adaptive Reef
    • Controller Cabinet
  • Neptune Systems
    • Apex EL Controller
    • DOS Dosing Pump
    • FMM Fluid Module
    • EB832
    • Temp + PH Probe
    • GRO Refugium LED
  • Ecotech Marine
    • (2) XR15 Pro LED
    • (2) XR15 LED Diffuser
    • (2) MP40QD Powerhead
    • (2) Battery Backup
    • Vectra L2 Return Pump
  • Nyos
    • Quantum 160 Protein Skimmer (Rated for 250g)
Future Equipment Additions
  • Plumbed Secondary Return Pump
  • Secondary Heater
  • Gyre Powerhead
  • UV Sterilizer
  • Salinity Probe
  • Carbon Reactor
Fish
Open to Suggestions! Right now, Bristletooth Tang and Foxface are looking pretty good for utilitarian purposes.

Clean Up Crew
I know I won't have any Snails or Crabs. I'm looking at the Sand-sifting Star when the Tank is more established.

equip.jpg
Side.jpg

Sump.jpg
Front.jpg
I’m looking forward to watching this tank grow and get stocked!!!

OP
OP
R

region.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking forward to watching this tank grow and get stocked!!!
I'm going to try to be as patient as I can! Hopefully I can sort out the Auto Water Changes, Lighting Schedule, and flow by the time Cycling ends! Question, your CBB, I imagine you added him after your tank was established? Only reason I considered adding it sooner than later was because of its difficult of eating. Maybe if I sorted that out before bringing in more tank members it would be easier.

You have no idea how much more of this that I want to see. I would say following but I feel heeling would be more appropriate.
You're too kind! I'm trying to take my time and do everything right, but the impulses are real.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back