just saying hi~

kyo7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, my name is Andy & I'm glad to have found this great forum!
I currently have a 7 year old 120g freshwater fish only tank & looking to turn it into a reef tank.
I don't have it up and running yet, been doing my homework reading up a ton of info lately~ hopefully I can get it started soon!

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Andy! Feel free to ask any questions you have.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

AddictionToReef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome To Reef2Reef!:bigsmile:

I don't think I need to tell you this but reef tanks are a lot better than freshwater tank....:tongue:

LittleDabOSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome! I have large freshwater tanks as well and in all honesty, ever since I got my 125rr up and running.....well, I just haven't been able to look at my freshwaters the same way. LOL

OP
OP
K

kyo7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!
Here is a silly question...can I mix salt into my current tank's water?? If the water parameter is fairly good? =)
Reason I'm asking is because we are experiencing severe drought in tx, don't really want to waste all that water if it's not absolutely necessary. I was thinking to mix the salt, add live sand & rocks, do water changes while tank is cycling (as needed) then start adding livestocks down the road.
Not sure if this is a good idea but I thought I do ask and get some input from y'all pros~

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!
Here is a silly question...can I mix salt into my current tank's water?? If the water parameter is fairly good? =)
Reason I'm asking is because we are experiencing severe drought in tx, don't really want to waste all that water if it's not absolutely necessary. I was thinking to mix the salt, add live sand & rocks, do water changes while tank is cycling (as needed) then start adding livestocks down the road.
Not sure if this is a good idea but I thought I do ask and get some input from y'all pros~

Not sure if I understand the question?? Just dump salt in your tank if that's it I'd say no way gotta be mixed and aerated for at least 24 hours prior to use ???

LittleDabOSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure those with more experience will chime in soon but I wouldn't if it were me. If I understood what your asking correctly your wanting to take what was your freshwater up and going tank that had FW livestock in it at one point and just add salt to the now vacant but still full of water tank yes?

In my own opinion I would think this to be a bad idea since it would be impossible to get everything out waste wise, bacteria wise etc.... left behind by the previous FW tank fish. While some of that may not make a difference I would think it could play heck on your readings and getting them where they need to be for salt down the road not to mention potential health concerns for the new livestock. Needed nitrifying bacteria for FW is not the same as needed for SW.

That bacteria is temperature and PH sensitive, for instance the FW tank at 83 degrees F to a changed temperature for your now SW tank of 76 degrees F I would think would shock the bacteria enough to void any type of advantage you might have had by using that water to try and shorten the cycle time. Again ....just me thinking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kyo7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure those with more experience will chime in soon but I wouldn't if it were me. If I understood what your asking correctly your wanting to take what was your freshwater up and going tank that had FW livestock in it at one point and just add salt to the now vacant but still full of water tank yes?

In my own opinion I would think this to be a bad idea since it would be impossible to get everything out waste wise, bacteria wise etc.... left behind by the previous FW tank fish. While some of that may not make a difference I would think it could play heck on your readings and getting them where they need to be for salt down the road not to mention potential health concerns for the new livestock. Needed nitrifying bacteria for FW is not the same as needed for SW.

That bacteria is temperature and PH sensitive, for instance the FW tank at 83 degrees F to a changed temperature for your now SW tank of 76 degrees F I would think would shock the bacteria enough to void any type of advantage you might have had by using that water to try and shorten the cycle time. Again ....just me thinking.

Yea, I think your right. its definitely not worth risking the health of precious livestock~ Thanks for the input~

Alkamist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome i joined here like a month ago and it really a great place with a lot of pretty cool people

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back