K1 media? Anyone?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used K1 in saltwater applications - however I have done it in fish farms - both in aerobic (nitrification) and anaerobic (denitrification) applications. In order to use their full potential in aerobic applications - you need a special tank with heavy aeration. if you have that - the Kaldnes original K1 media is good but we get the best result (volume/nitrification rate) with the newer Kaldnes K5. There is many "pirates" of these media - it is important to realize that it is not only the shape that are of importance - it is also the buoyancy of the media thats matter. Original K1 is slight heavier than water - with a thin bacteria film - it have nearly the perfect buoyancy for a type of plastic "active sludge" behaviour. K1 was first developed for dynamic aerobic use but it have shown up that it is also perfect for static anaerob use because that they - in static use serve as sediment traps of mostly organic matter. This "sediment trap" behaviour make K1 to a bad static aerobic filter (but excellent for a dynamic aerobic filter) If used in a static anaerobic filter it is wise to have the container only filled around 1/2 to 2/3. Inlet of water in the bottom - outlet in the top. The bacteria film will change the buoyancy of the K1 and they will float in the top leaving the lower part of the filter with only water. If the filter clog (and it will) - it is easy to rinse - just stop the flow - let the water out from the bottom, the media will sink - fill water again and repeat till it is not clogged any more.

Sincerely Lasse

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back