Kalkwasser "Volume"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased BRS Kalkwasser - 4 pounds. Come's in a resealable bag.

I transferred the BRS kalkwasser contents into a 4.4# Kalkwasser container from Two Little Fishies.

Why does BRS kalkwasser have half the 'volume' of Two Little Fishies brand kalkwasser?

Both brands suggest the 2 teaspoon per gallon 'rule'.

From a visual/volume perspective, I'm going to get much less full strength kalkwasser water from the BRS product using tsp/gallon.

Thinking I should just purchase a another 4.4# TLF container before I use any BRS for comparison's sake.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a chemist but my take would be
BRS changed to a pure pharma grade chemical sometime last year with nothing else in the mix. 12:30 second mark of this video may explain it better.

As a result Id be curious if a 2 teaspoon mix across brands had the same effluent test results.

OP
OP
DeepBlueSeaV1

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a chemist but my take would be
BRS changed to a pure pharma grade chemical sometime last year with nothing else in the mix. 12:30 second mark of this video may explain it better.

As a result Id be curious if a 2 teaspoon mix across brands had the same effluent test results.
Thanks for posting that link. After watching should be interesting to see the difference in test results and even the slury at the bottom of the ATO reservoir.

OP
OP
DeepBlueSeaV1

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I should have read BRS product page to. Interestingly. Package instructions are a bit different then web page.
Guess I’ll dial it in and see what my Alkalinity needs are with this new product.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I should have read BRS product page to. Interestingly. Package instructions are a bit different then web page.
Guess I’ll dial it in and see what my Alkalinity needs are with this new product.

Sorry for being a little late to the party. With our switch to the pharma grade kalkwasser a while back, the maximum amount of kalk (volume) that you can dissolve into a gallon of top off water changes slightly. On the old stuff, it was 2 tbsp per gallon. The newer pharma grade kalk will have a max of 1 1/2 tbsp per gallon as it's a bit less "fluffy." Originally, this change wasn't reflected on the new packaging, so I completely understand the question. I'll have to double check with our production team, but I believe the kalk shipping out now has the correct info on the package.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back