Kamoer X2SR adjustments

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Kamoer X2SR that so far has been awesome other than being able to 100% equal the discharge amount to the refill amount. No matter how many calibrations I do or exchange corrections I do it still seems to always be a hair off and over time affects the salinity of my aquarium. Does anyone have a tried and true way to make adjustments? Thanks !!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kamoer X2SR that so far has been awesome other than being able to 100% equal the discharge amount to the refill amount. No matter how many calibrations I do or exchange corrections I do it still seems to always be a hair off and over time affects the salinity of my aquarium. Does anyone have a tried and true way to make adjustments? Thanks !!
I would't expect it to be far enough off affect salinity.

Have you tried running it continuously between a couple of 5 gal buckets for a week to see if it is at fault?

The salinity change could be caused by other processes.

OP
OP
Cali9dub

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would't expect it to be far enough off affect salinity.

Have you tried running it continuously between a couple of 5 gal buckets for a week to see if it is at fault?

The salinity change could be caused by other processes.
Actually it can. If it pulls more out than it replaces, then the ATO runs to fill the difference it can change the salinity. Especially with multiple small water changes per day. So the drift in conjunction with evaporation can accelerate a steady drop in salinity. The x2sr has a way of being able to adjust for different length runs of fresh saltwater vs wastewater but I just can’t get it exact no matter how many times I run the exchange correction. Plus it’s a PIA !

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it can. If it pulls more out than it replaces, then the ATO runs to fill the difference it can change the salinity. Especially with multiple small water changes per day. So the drift in conjunction with evaporation can accelerate a steady drop in salinity. The x2sr has a way of being able to adjust for different length runs of fresh saltwater vs wastewater but I just can’t get it exact no matter how many times I run the exchange correction. Plus it’s a PIA !
I understand the mechanism :)

As I suggest, run it between two equal size buckets with one pump draining from bucket A to bucket B, while at the same time the other pump drains from bucket B back to bucket A.

Run them continouously for a few days and see how the level changes in the buckets.

I test ran it for a week and it had less than 1/4 inch difference between buckets which is negligible.

Any more than that may indicate a faulty unit which I'd return under warranty.

OP
OP
Cali9dub

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure what happens after it’s been broken in for awhile. I didn’t see a suggestion on how often to do calibrations on it. Maybe I’ll start once a month to keep it tight.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a glorified dosing system. Most people use something like a Neptune DOS for water changes because it's a lot more precise.
Pretty sure that the DOS does not have the syphon problem that has been identified with a number of the X2SR pump heads either.

On reflection, that known problem could be contributing to the issue raised by the OP.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what happens after it’s been broken in for awhile. I didn’t see a suggestion on how often to do calibrations on it. Maybe I’ll start once a month to keep it tight.
You may have a syphon problem.

Check out this thread.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back