Keeping species from multiple oceans

MikeyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few months i have been thinking about all the different species of fish and corals i have in my reef tank.
Then it dawned on me that most of these species from the different oceans have most likely never intermingled with each other.
When ee add them to our tanks it is most likely the the 1st time they are intermingling with each other.

I tried to draw some similarities and put myself in their place.
What if i should be transported overnight to a different continent?
What if i git sent to mars?
How would i react?
How long would it take for me to adjust to my new surroundings?
How quickly would i adopt to the new food choices?
How should i react if someone sets aggressive with me?
How well would i react to the new lights and sounds?

Given these perspectives i have a new found respect fir all these fishes, corals and other livestock we shove in our systems and have all expectations fot them the thrive and bring us satisfaction.

That said i have come to accept the fact that acclimation is not a 1 day, 1 week thing..
For the blending of all the different species from different oceans acclimation could go on for years.
Therefore, its not unreasonable to expect some fatalities along the way fir various reasons.

I will interesting to learn what other reefers are doing to help minimize the stress of been introduced to a new environment.
What other reefers are doing to help promote the coexistence of species from oceans apart.

I could go on, and on but i am sure this community will take it where it needs to go.

Message_1618919401466.jpg 20210419_143050.jpg 20210407_195230_HDR.jpg 20210406_201056.jpg 20210404_140945.jpg 20210329_151725.jpg 20210329_080552.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do anything special for species from different parts of the world because I believe that if you took those species from say the South Pacific and put them in the Caribbean, they would get along just fine. We have invasive species from everywhere and they thrive better than native animals.

I wish we would get "invasive" copperband butterflies and Moorish Idols here in New York. :p

OK, it may be a little cold but they would live just fine in the Caribbean. They just can't afford the plane ticket or they would be here.

Of course those fish and corals from Mars may need slightly different conditions because the water parameters on Mars is probably different. :rolleyes:

Back