Kessil ap700 or 2 a360

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this control everyone speaks of that is so much better? If it's an app that allows one to adjust individual colors that's what I was happy to get away from.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this control everyone speaks of that is so much better? If it's an app that allows one to adjust individual colors that's what I was happy to get away from.

Just curious have you owned the Ap700 and found you like the 360s More and compared them on the same tank? And yes the Kessil WiFi app is fantastic in my opinion very easy to use and great control of the light.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana, is your chart supposed to show the par readings for the ap700? If so at what height is the light from the water. BRS tested the light a couple of weeks ago and their reading were much higher depending on the height of the light. From my experience, I have 3, this light is very powerful. Of course my knowledge of lights is limited, but I killed 7 sps acros.and damaged another 5-6 at a light intensity of 75%. I wouldn’t think a par reading of your maximum of 200, would do this. What am I missing?

The AP700 was suspended 6" above the water surface. Since the light is almost infinitely adjustable, I tested the 9 preprogrammed settings and found number 2 (shown in the graph) produced highest PUR and PAR. The tank used was a 120-gallon (48x24x24.) The photo shows the light when it was mounted higher but was lowered when I found the initial PAR measurements unacceptable, but you get the idea. The eggcrate in the bottom was used as a grid system - look closely and you can see the marked squares.
IMG_4463.JPG

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller allows infinite adjustments from pure red to blue or white. There are nine preprogrammed settings as well. I don't see how it is better than anything else on the market. In fact, the number of options might invite playing around with the spectra produced with the effects on zoox being an unknown.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious have you owned the Ap700 and found you like the 360s More and compared them on the same tank? And yes the Kessil WiFi app is fantastic in my opinion very easy to use and great control of the light.
No I haven't and have no interest such control. The ability to control every color from my arm chair has be a detriment rather than an advantage for me with other lights I have. Such adjustability is the reason so many people fail with LEDs in my opinion. I prefer the simplicity of Kessil Logic, which is plenty adjustable for this guy. I'm sure the AP is a great light, I just prefer the simplicity and form factor of the 360.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller allows infinite adjustments from pure red to blue or white. There are nine preprogrammed settings as well. I don't see how it is better than anything else on the market. In fact, the number of options might invite playing around with the spectra produced with the effects on zoox being an unknown.
It was too tempting for me to adjust the spectrum and intensity all the time. It was like running a different halide bulb every week. I consider myself a disciplined person, but when it comes to controllable LEDs I can't help myself :D. Infinite control doesn't make a light better for me.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ap700 turn off at 10% like the other models do? I dont want to spook the fish with a sudden off.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ap700 turn off at 10% like the other models do? I dont want to spook the fish with a sudden off.
In the app it does let you go down to %1 but I notice no difference in brightness from 1% to 10% I'm guessing that first 10% does nothing then after 10% it starts getting brighter. And I've never had an issue with fish getting freaked out when the lights go off or come on

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the app it does let you go down to %1 but I notice no difference in brightness from 1% to 10% I'm guessing that first 10% does nothing then after 10% it starts getting brighter. And I've never had an issue with fish getting freaked out when the lights go off or come on

Should i buy it? Or will i regret it?

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking, if par is low as per danas graph, what is the par when ripples are being read. They sort of concentrate light. You know?

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking, if par is low as per danas graph, what is the par when ripples are being read. They sort of concentrate light. You know?

Watch the BRS video on the AP700. It has more measurements from different heights and water depths

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another consideration that I didn't know people to buying 360s... The 160 gets more dark blue at the lowest color setting. The 360 had more of a regular blue overtone at the bluest setting. I would assume that the ap700 is able to get more royal blue like the 160 since you can control the channels

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another consideration that I didn't know people to buying 360s... The 160 gets more dark blue at the lowest color setting. The 360 had more of a regular blue overtone at the bluest setting. I would assume that the ap700 is able to get more royal blue like the 160 since you can control the channels

Ive owned all three kessils. The darkest blue imo has been with the kessil a360. Its possible the ap700 does but at lower intensities. At higher intensities, it appears to be a lighter blue.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive owned all three kessils. The darkest blue imo has been with the kessil a360. Its possible the ap700 does but at lower intensities. At higher intensities, it appears to be a lighter blue.
I've owned the 160 and the 360 and imo the 160 is much darker blue :)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil AP700 will produce as 100% blue output of you want it. It’s very very Blue and will put out lots of light.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back