Kessil ap700 or 2 a360

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by bigkai, Dec 2, 2017.

1. squareriggersailor

squareriggersailor Well-Known Member

What is this control everyone speaks of that is so much better? If it's an app that allows one to adjust individual colors that's what I was happy to get away from.

2. azreeftank

azreeftank Well-Known Member

Just curious have you owned the Ap700 and found you like the 360s More and compared them on the same tank? And yes the Kessil WiFi app is fantastic in my opinion very easy to use and great control of the light.

3. Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle Well-Known Member Staff Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor Article Contributor

The AP700 was suspended 6" above the water surface. Since the light is almost infinitely adjustable, I tested the 9 preprogrammed settings and found number 2 (shown in the graph) produced highest PUR and PAR. The tank used was a 120-gallon (48x24x24.) The photo shows the light when it was mounted higher but was lowered when I found the initial PAR measurements unacceptable, but you get the idea. The eggcrate in the bottom was used as a grid system - look closely and you can see the marked squares. IMG_4463.JPG

4. Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle Well-Known Member Staff Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor Article Contributor

The controller allows infinite adjustments from pure red to blue or white. There are nine preprogrammed settings as well. I don't see how it is better than anything else on the market. In fact, the number of options might invite playing around with the spectra produced with the effects on zoox being an unknown.

squareriggersailor likes this.
  5. squareriggersailor

No I haven't and have no interest such control. The ability to control every color from my arm chair has be a detriment rather than an advantage for me with other lights I have. Such adjustability is the reason so many people fail with LEDs in my opinion. I prefer the simplicity of Kessil Logic, which is plenty adjustable for this guy. I'm sure the AP is a great light, I just prefer the simplicity and form factor of the 360.

6. squareriggersailor

It was too tempting for me to adjust the spectrum and intensity all the time. It was like running a different halide bulb every week. I consider myself a disciplined person, but when it comes to controllable LEDs I can't help myself :D. Infinite control doesn't make a light better for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted