Kessil AP9x vs GHL Mitras LX7206

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So I think I've narrowed down my lighting choices to either the Kessil AP9X or the GHL Mitras LX7206.

The Kessils (2020) are so new I've not seen a lot of comparison experience yet... Does anyone have any idea how they compare to the Mitras (2016)?

Thanks!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mitras lights are updatable. The Leds can be exchanged. The kessils are more of designed for LPS and Zoa’s. Not. Designed for a SPS aquarium.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the same lights but if the Kessils will not work with SPS they are out. I do not want to have to change lights if I want to add SPS

@Lylelovett What size tank are you working with?

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lylelovett The AP9X are more than capable of lighting SPS.

I'm in the same boat with you I'm in between those two lights or instead of the AP9X doubling the Kessils A360x. Just not enough info. @slief swore by the GHL Mitras and he actually had both lights under his hood but when I spoke to Slief he was in love with the GHL Mitras.

The best part of the GHL Mitras is that with LED's it's a known fact no matter what brand you have the efficiency of the LED dies out over the years, even though they still work and light up. Whats great about the GHL is that you can actually buy the led board and swap out the puck board. For two LED pucks they charge $67. Thats a big advantage point that I love over all the LEDS that are out there even the chinese Led Boxes. It's just a well made light. Another fact that I love about the GHL is that it has a real UV compared to other lights that emulate the UV Bulb.

I've been almost going the all German way when it comes to aquarium products they just know how to do it the right way. If you look at all the big guys in our industry they all go with Bubble king skimmers which are also German. They just know how to make the best. Hope this helps.

I'm just trying to see how much of the spectrum the GHL Mitras cover from the ATI bulbs which everyone says is the standard. I just can't figure it out.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hellsangelbx

I ended up going GHL. I got 2x 7206 for my 5' tank for now. I'm waiting on my materials from 8020.net to show up so I can build my lighting mount. Once I get everything up and running in the next week or so I'll update.

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome please share a video. I still can't find a good video on these lights that show the quality.

Where did you end up buying your lights? Did you get a good price?

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hellsangelbx

I ended up going GHL. I got 2x 7206 for my 5' tank for now. I'm waiting on my materials from 8020.net to show up so I can build my lighting mount. Once I get everything up and running in the next week or so I'll update.
I wanted to follow-up and see how your Mitras are working out as I'm trying to take final decision between Mitras and Kessil A360X. How did you end-up mounting your Mitras LX7206's to your 8020 t-slot extrusion (I am doing the same thing)? Do you have any pics of how you mounted? Finally, some reefers complain they are complicated to program, i.e., need to use a laptop to make it easier to setup - is that true? thanks for any info you are willing to take the time to share.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome please share a video. I still can't find a good video on these lights that show the quality.

Where did you end up buying your lights? Did you get a good price?

I ended up purchasing from GHL directly. The price was the price. :)

Once I get them up and running I will post a video.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to follow-up and see how your Mitras are working out as I'm trying to take final decision between Mitras and Kessil A360X. How did you end-up mounting your Mitras LX7206's to your 8020 t-slot extrusion (I am doing the same thing)? Do you have any pics of how you mounted? Finally, some reefers complain they are complicated to program, i.e., need to use a laptop to make it easier to setup - is that true? thanks for any info you are willing to take the time to share.

I had a horrible experience with 8020.net - I placed my order and it was scheduled for three weeks out. Then as the date approached they pushed it a week three individual times. I cancelled my order with them and went with framingtech.com - they had it done and shipped within 3-4 business days. Chris Dargan over there was AWESOME to work with.

I am just getting around to doing the install this week. My plan is to use the mounting kits from GHL. It LOOKS like I will be able to use one of the pieces to slide into the T-slot - it seems to fit. I will be able to adjust/slide them left and right across the tank.

As far as programming, I have a GHL Profilux P4, so I will be using that to control the lights.

I will post photos in the next couple of days.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C502BFE0-E7AD-40BE-8C06-BC2BC55C2B5B.jpeg

Here is my planted aquarium with GHL lights and their light mount kit.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a horrible experience with 8020.net - I placed my order and it was scheduled for three weeks out. Then as the date approached they pushed it a week three individual times. I cancelled my order with them and went with framingtech.com - they had it done and shipped within 3-4 business days. Chris Dargan over there was AWESOME to work with.

I am just getting around to doing the install this week. My plan is to use the mounting kits from GHL. It LOOKS like I will be able to use one of the pieces to slide into the T-slot - it seems to fit. I will be able to adjust/slide them left and right across the tank.

As far as programming, I have a GHL Profilux P4, so I will be using that to control the lights.

I will post photos in the next couple of days.
Sorry to hear about the heads-ache you had with 8020. I had similar issues with them and went from Fraztek. Thanks for the info - quite helpful. I'm keen to better understand (maybe through pics) on how you connected the mounting kits from GHL as I haven't figured out any kit from them that I can connect to Tslot aluminum extrusion.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back