Kessil Fan Replacement

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I use a computer air compressor specifically meant for electronics and such to clean my fan. When I disassembled the unit, I found out why my fan stopped working the danged solder point for one of the 12v wires came off?!

@Kessil You have these rubber screws holding the fan in place in the top assembly and there's no way to extract them without completely destroying them. Could use some advice here on how to fix this situation.

20200103_221319.jpg

20200103_221400.jpg

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been inside one of the kessils, but having done way more than my fair share of electronics repair, unless its a rivet, if they got it on somehow, you can get it off somehow. Can you not simply pull each corner off the mount? Support the pcb its mounted to and work each corner up. The fact they are ribbed suggests with a little finagling it'll come lose. You may want a spudger to get some leverage underneath the fan.

edit: do you solder at all? if so, peel back that sticker over the fan bearing and take a look at the contact where the wire should be soldered to, you may simply be able to strip a few mm off the wire and resolder without ever taking the fan off its mounts.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve pulled the fans off those rubber posts without destroying them. Just need to be careful. Fans are definitely the weak point in these. It’s been a source of irritation for me that Kessil don’t/won't stick them as replacement parts.

OP
OP
M

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been inside one of the kessils, but having done way more than my fair share of electronics repair, unless its a rivet, if they got it on somehow, you can get it off somehow. Can you not simply pull each corner off the mount? Support the pcb its mounted to and work each corner up. The fact they are ribbed suggests with a little finagling it'll come lose. You may want a spudger to get some leverage underneath the fan.

edit: do you solder at all? if so, peel back that sticker over the fan bearing and take a look at the contact where the wire should be soldered to, you may simply be able to strip a few mm off the wire and resolder without ever taking the fan off its mounts.

I’ve pulled the fans off those rubber posts without destroying them. Just need to be careful. Fans are definitely the weak point in these. It’s been a source of irritation for me that Kessil don’t/won't stick them as replacement parts.

I thought about resoldering, but I can't find the contact point for the wire. The rubber screws are how they seal the deal on these things, but I can't figure out how to get them out without destroying them. :/

@ca1ore if you have any tips to removing these rubber screws out without destroying them, that would be appreciated.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uhhh, those stupid fans! I have a used Kessil A360WE's that I have cleaned more times that I would like to admit. I will pull the whole thing apart and take about 50 q-tips and meticuliously clean the fan and then oil it up. It will be nice and quiet for about a week but then goes back to its annoying clicking noise.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a much better replacement. I would check and make sure you haven't burned out any leds before you deal with replacing the fan.

Last edited:

Hollywood Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm the Noctua fan replacement works. Just finished the install, and it’s pretty easy as long as you’re able to solder the old fan terminal to the new fan. Let me know if anyone needs help doing the install.
5FB9AFF6-BB37-46A9-80D3-A1AD5B66DD56.jpeg

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have used the Noctua fan above, did you opt to slow it down with one of the noise reduction adapters or just let it run full speed?

Also if you don’t want to solder, I’ve used these for fan replacements on 3D printers and they stand up well to high heat applications. No wire stripping - insert and crimp with pliers. The gel inside should protect the connection from corrosion.
Klein Tools VDV826-604 UY IDC Connectors UY 22-26 AWG, 25-Pack

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the same exact fan, but noticed. There is a 3rd yellow wire. And the old F126025SL fan is a 2 pin. But there is a 3rd non used pin on the circuit board, did you just solder it to the last non used pin?

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ignored the yellow wire and the extra pin on the circuit board. It is a speed control/measuring which is not used here. Pretty sure the Kessil fan is either on or off.

Omelette_du_Fromage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm the Noctua fan replacement works. Just finished the install, and it’s pretty easy as long as you’re able to solder the old fan terminal to the new fan. Let me know if anyone needs help doing the install.
5FB9AFF6-BB37-46A9-80D3-A1AD5B66DD56.jpeg

The fan is upside down no ?
In that postition it extracts air from device.
Not sure this is the best to drop temperature.

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No resistor. Full speed on mine. But if dead silence was desired I would say yes to using it. The motor is silent but the extra air moving at full speed is audible.

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put the R12 resistor to slow down the fan and make less noise or you let it running full speed ?
After living with this in my office I would recommend using one of the resistors to slow it down if you want really silent. As stated, the fan motor is silent, but the air movement is not. When my other Kessils need the repair I will probably go with a slower speed.

Crrp73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I use a computer air compressor specifically meant for electronics and such to clean my fan. When I disassembled the unit, I found out why my fan stopped working the danged solder point for one of the 12v wires came off?!

@Kessil You have these rubber screws holding the fan in place in the top assembly and there's no way to extract them without completely destroying them. Could use some advice here on how to fix this situation.

20200103_221319.jpg

20200103_221400.jpg
Did you figure out how to remove the rubber screws?

Crrp73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200103_221319.jpg

20200103_221400.jpg
Hello, did you figure it out? I'm stuck with the same thing.

Crrp73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, so I replaced the fan with the noctua fan recommended. The fan does not turn on. I thought maybe I should check if the Kessil original fan works outside of the light. Well it does. So the issue is probably on the board. I don’t know how to fix that. Any ideas?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back