Kessil Show Off Thread (Warning, may be picture heavy!)

Which Kessil Product Do You Use Or Have Used

• Total voters

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So think I have decided to go with 2x kessil ap700 and 6x 54 watt T5HO. I have most of the parts necessary to do a retrofit for the t5

I'm a big proponent of Kessil illumination but I think you're going to be extremely disappointed in the long run if you choose this setup. The AP700 is not capable of illuminating a 36" wide tank unless it is mounted perpendicular to the length of said tank, this is not debatable, it is fact. If you turn the lights 90° to accommodate this deficiency, they will not cover the length either. Two AP700s are a waste of money, I'm going to strongly suggest you find another way to illuminate this tank because this isn't the way to go about it.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big proponent of Kessil illumination but I think you're going to be extremely disappointed in the long run if you choose this setup. The AP700 is not capable of illuminating a 36" wide tank unless it is mounted perpendicular to the length of said tank, this is not debatable, it is fact. If you turn the lights 90° to accommodate this deficiency, they will not cover the length either. Two AP700s are a waste of money, I'm going to strongly suggest you find another way to illuminate this tank because this isn't the way to go about it.

I agree that ap700s are inadequate for illuminating a 36 wide tank parallel to the tank, but the plan is to have 3 t5 on either side. That’s more than adequate to illuminate the tank. I have 2 ap700 and 4 t5 on a 24 wide tank and it’s a lot of light. The main reasons for me to have the kessils are for shimmer and dusk/dawn ramp up. For these purposes I think he’ll be fine with his setup. The kessils play more of a supplementing role while the t5s do the heavy lifting.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ,I’m Mack and Im Pleased too anounce that I will be joining this club in a couple of weeks ... I’ve just bought 2 x A360 WEs plus controller :cool: there ‘s not that many users here in Holland so there not that common ,and I couldn’t pass up the chance too buy them when I saw them on a forum over here ...
Some of you may already know my tank from another thread..... (Cbb;Blackeye ......shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..!!!!!!);Facepalm;Facepalm
I can’t wait too see it under kessils with that shimmer :D
Photos will follow shortly .. but no doubt I will have lots of questions :D:D
Not sure if I’m gonna use the controller or run it with a reef pi that I have waiting too be installed... so any advice that way would be helpful ..
thanks Mack

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ,I’m Mack and Im Pleased too anounce that I will be joining this club in a couple of weeks ... I’ve just bought 2 x A360 WEs plus controller :cool: there ‘s not that many users here in Holland so there not that common ,and I couldn’t pass up the chance too buy them when I saw them on a forum over here ...
Some of you may already know my tank from another thread..... (Cbb;Blackeye ......shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..!!!!!!);Facepalm;Facepalm
I can’t wait too see it under kessils with that shimmer :D
Photos will follow shortly .. but no doubt I will have lots of questions :D:D
Not sure if I’m gonna use the controller or run it with a reef pi that I have waiting too be installed... so any advice that way would be helpful ..
thanks Mack
welcome to the club! I think you will like your A360WEs.

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am all in on kessils now. My h380 came in last night and over the summer I bought a ap700 to go with my 160's over a 48" 110 gal deep tank. I dont have a par meter so my question is do you think 50% peek power is a good starting point? Also please wish me luck!

20180909_171314.jpg

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you have to consider height above tank, and what will be in the tank to start. I started around 40% and worked my way up to about 80% over a long period of time (weeks/months).

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok , question.. what %intensity are you guys running Your kessils at ... i was advised To start at 25% but compared too my cbb at full ramp id have To run the kessils at 65-75% intensity ....but thats just matching it by eye .. or pleasing too my eye ... the kessils is definitely a more natural giving light in comparison ... or did I have my Cbbs on too high ..
Can anyone post their lighting schedule for me .?
Thanks in advance
Mack

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok , question.. what %intensity are you guys running Your kessils at ... i was advised To start at 25% but compared too my cbb at full ramp id have To run the kessils at 65-75% intensity ....but thats just matching it by eye .. or pleasing too my eye ... the kessils is definitely a more natural giving light in comparison ... or did I have my Cbbs on too high ..
Can anyone post their lighting schedule for me .?
Thanks in advance
Mack

Mine sit around 8" above the water line, slightly angled towards the center of a 42" long and 24" wide tank. They flank a MH/T5 fixture so I am not counting on them for the bulk of my coral growth so I ramp them up to around 70% intensity. They start at 9 am, and by 10 am they are at 35% color and 45% intensity. At noon, 45% color, 70% intensity, 6PM they are down to 35/45 again, and they slowly ramp all the way down by 10:45 PM.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back