Kessil Show Off Thread (Warning, may be picture heavy!)

Which Kessil Product Do You Use Or Have Used

• Total voters

reefwreck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 360we on a 210 @ 7in looking at adding T5 later

tank pic.jpg

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached is my current kessil schedule (160’s). I’m also running from back to front blue+, coral+, actinic and blue+. Currently t5’s run from noon to 7pm.

Any suggestions on kessil light schedule or new bulb combination and t5 light duration.

8955F151-8ABC-440D-9480-5A4832AE0880.png

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply is now stocking the H160's!

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that. I'm pretty happy with my H80 so far but probably would have gone with the 160. It will be interesting to see how it compares in their testing should they update their growing chaeto results.

reefwreck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok got my t5 aqutic life to go with kessils i have 210 72x24x30 reading on here says to have them about 5" above water is this correct and how many hours should i run at 85%

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok got my t5 aqutic life to go with kessils i have 210 72x24x30 reading on here says to have them about 5" above water is this correct and how many hours should i run at 85%

I run mine a bit more like 8" above the water line. My schedule starts at 9:00 am (0%, 25% color, then by noon I'm at 85% 35% color, at 4 I start to ramp back down and by 10:30 I'm back at 0% 25%.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I run mine a bit more like 8" above the water line. My schedule starts at 9:00 am (0%, 25% color, then by noon I'm at 85% 35% color, at 4 I start to ramp back down and by 10:30 I'm back at 0% 25%.
Agreed, I run mine at 8" over the waters surface as well. My AP700 currently ramps up to 40% intensity for 8 hours and then ramps down, one hour ramp up and ramp down and the T5's are on for 8 hours with my max intensity of the kessil. Should you choose to run this setting, please be sure to acclimate everything to it accordingly. This does put me somewhere in the ballpark of 250-375 par all over the tank. I acclimated my corals to this over the course of several weeks.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick question for A360 WE owners. I purchased my original 360WE in March 2015. It failed within a year of its purchase and I was sent a new one free of charge. Great customer service! That said, the new light they sent me for a replacement is now also starting to fail (looks like some of the blue LEDs are not working). I was told today that I would need to send the light in on my own dime, then there is a $100 inspection fee, and then additional costs above and beyond that depending on the issue. I was also told I could get a one time discounted new 360 for $250.

I'm really disappointed that these lights seem to have a lifespan of a year or so before failing. I keep them well maintained yet they still have failed. Are others also seeing similar failures or an I simply unlucky. I ask because I'm debating the two options (have them fix it for me or buying a new one discounted) or a third option, which is switching away from these lights. Would love some feedback.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick question for A360 WE owners. I purchased my original 360WE in March 2015. It failed within a year of its purchase and I was sent a new one free of charge. Great customer service! That said, the new light they sent me for a replacement is now also starting to fail (looks like some of the blue LEDs are not working). I was told today that I would need to send the light in on my own dime, then there is a $100 inspection fee, and then additional costs above and beyond that depending on the issue. I was also told I could get a one time discounted new 360 for $250.

I'm really disappointed that these lights seem to have a lifespan of a year or so before failing. I keep them well maintained yet they still have failed. Are others also seeing similar failures or an I simply unlucky. I ask because I'm debating the two options (have them fix it for me or buying a new one discounted) or a third option, which is switching away from these lights. Would love some feedback.
When you say you kept them well maintained, can you walk us through what that all entails?

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you kept them well maintained, can you walk us through what that all entails?

Yeah what I mean by that I keep then dry (I don't do water changes rather have set up a AWC system which is great by the way), well ventilated (GHL cooling fan), and I clean the lights themselves with compressed air every 2 months or so.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah what I mean by that I keep then dry (I don't do water changes rather have set up a AWC system which is great by the way), well ventilated (GHL cooling fan), and I clean the lights themselves with compressed air every 2 months or so.
Sounds about right. Did you use a can of compressed air or an actual air compressor unit? Duster cans such as keyboard cleaning compressed air cans contain a liquid called fluorocarbon, you'll notice sometimes if you turn the can upside down a liquid comes out instead of air and it's extremely cold, I have heard of this liquid contacting the hot circuit board and causing damage. That's why I always use an air compressor, and do it when the light has been off for a while so the unit can cool down :) Just a thought...

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i used a can of compressed air but the failure happened about two months after the last cleaning. I'm pretty sure they told me to use compressed air (like for cleaning a keyboard). Anyway, I don't think this is the cause. Anyway I'm curious what others have experienced and also, Crabs, would you send the light in and risk that it comes back costing a bunch or would you pony up the $250 for a one time replacement? Luckily in my system, the Kessil is secondary lighting next to a Spectra so I can afford to have it not running 100% for some time.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If they look like the image below, they're fine. The two emitters that appear to be out are UV (our eyes dont see them well). My A360s were used when I bought them and have been over my tank for two years without issue (I have five total).

37233605812_209b938eb0_b.jpg

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i used a can of compressed air but the failure happened about two months after the last cleaning. I'm pretty sure they told me to use compressed air (like for cleaning a keyboard). Anyway, I don't think this is the cause. Anyway I'm curious what others have experienced and also, Crabs, would you send the light in and risk that it comes back costing a bunch or would you pony up the $250 for a one time replacement? Luckily in my system, the Kessil is secondary lighting next to a Spectra so I can afford to have it not running 100% for some time.
250 for one time replacement is the way i'd go :) You figure by the time you spend the 100$ diagnostics, and then whatever the charge would be to repair your old one, you're better off getting brand new at the discounted rate.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250 for one time replacement is the way i'd go :) You figure by the time you spend the 100$ diagnostics, and then whatever the charge would be to repair your old one, you're better off getting brand new at the discounted rate.

Yeah that is what I'm thinking too but if the lights tend to only last 1 - 1/2 years then I am thinking I invest in a much cheaper LED solution.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back