Kessil Show Off Thread (Warning, may be picture heavy!)

Which Kessil Product Do You Use Or Have Used

• Total voters

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to create a megathread for all users who drink the delicious koolaid that is Kessil. I would like this to become a discussion, question, and show off thread. Remember, there are no dumb questions and you cannot show me enough pictures :) So please, don't hold back and show us what you got!
Also just a side note, I will allow healthy debate, but please try to keep this thread positive and fun :)

Courtesy of www.kessil.com
About Kessil
img01.jpg

At the Beginning
Kessil's story begins in the San Francisco Bay Area, the epicenter of the indoor growing industry.

The concept of Kessil started with three UC Berkeley graduates: a plant biologist, a computer scientist, and a physicist. The plant biologist is an avid hobbyist who dabbles in indoor farming and recognizes the importance of good lighting. The computer scientist has years of working with Lithium (a leading company that connects online communities to businesses) and knows the benefits of producing and refining a product through social media interactions with customers. Lastly, the physicist has over a decade of experience in the photonics industry with DiCon Fiberoptics, Inc. and has a deep understanding of the strength in DiCon's high power LED platform. Adding to these three personalities are years of close friendship and experience in working together on various projects.

At a weekend gathering, the subject of how LEDs are revolutionizing lighting came up in a conversation and quickly turned into a brainstorm of doing something that is truly groundbreaking. Realizing the untapped potential of LEDs in plant lighting, the three of them were inspired to create Kessil. In early 2009, they presented the business proposal to DiCon's management team who accepted the plan right away. The three founders put things into action and defined the initial business direction, designed the first generation prototypes, and performed a few basic experiments. DiCon also invested heavily and provided resources such as a large space for Kessil's plant research lab and creating dense matrix LEDs with a variety of spectrums. Kessil's staff includes DiCon's top optics experts and senior product designers. The project grew rapidly with much enthusiasm.

img02.jpg

Professional Company, Superior Product
As a business division of DiCon, Kessil inherits a vast understanding of light and fundamental business philosophy. For a quarter of a century, the parent company has specialized in making products that direct high-speed laser beams into miniscule, hair size fiber optic cables for the telecom, defense/military, and biomedical sectors. In the early 2000's, DiCon realized the transition to LEDs was imminent and invested heavily in the technology. As a result, two more business units were created: DiCon LED pushes the forefront of this movement with its proprietary high density LED array, and DiCon Lighting applies the platform in lighting fixtures for the architectural and entertainment industries. Today, each of DiCon's business divisions are recognized leaders in their respective fields, designing and manufacturing quality products with differentiating technology, advancing photonics knowledge through continuous research, and building customer relations with consistently first-rate service. Kessil has assembled a team of product designers, plant biologists, and illumination engineers, all experts in their field of study, to produce a plant light that is distinctly different from everyone else's. With a careful consideration in the mechanical, electrical, thermal, and optical aspects of the product, it's smaller, smarter, cooler, and brighter. Our grow light is not just the best in the class, it's in a completely separate class altogether. Kessil's own internal LED capacity allows us to make special wavelengths on our patented LED platform. We are also able to innovate quickly with our vertically integrated capabilities. The transition from design to execution is seamless. The entire flow is 100% in our control. All our findings are speedily implemented into our products. We will always be miles ahead of our competition with the best products and most advanced spectrum formulas.

img03.jpg

Where Are We Now?
Today Kessil is an established business unit of DiCon with various successful product lines. The three founding members continue to drive Kessil with the same passion and excitement as they continue to make advancements in plant and aquarium lighting.

We are confident that you will find our business approach refreshing and our product superior. Come experience Kessil for yourself and see your plants bloom and corals pop under our LED light.

Starting with Crabs!
I originally started out with a pair of Kessil A360WE's controlled by the Kessil Spectral Controller. I loved these lights. They looked great, performed great, and grew any coral I put under them.
I eventually switched out the spectral controller for the Bluefish LED controller, as I wanted to be able to WiFi control my lights. The bluefish also came with other great features (but it's not the star of this thread :D )
I also at the time was using the Kessil H80 for my fuge in the "grow" setting

QIH75Yrl.jpg

lULrtr0l.jpg

FLVkiJTl.jpg

iTrF4u9l.jpg

kPxak1Gl.jpg

mseQDrYl.jpg

After having these lights for a year, I received a great opportunity to get an AP700. I could not pass it up. And I have to say I'm glad I did it. I absolutely love this light. I am able to WiFi control it without the addition of an external controller, and run different programs along with different weather simulations (many find these useless, but for aesthetics I enjoy them :) )
There are some issues with the App, but I'm hoping after BRS's video and user feedback Kessil releases a firmware update to fix these issues soon. But otherwise the light is great and I'm really enjoying it. And I get compliments on it regularly from friends and family that come to visit.
fZZUjkgl.jpg

WBvtzyvl.jpg

6IN04dTl.jpg

IOjjeYTl.jpg

zh3m5eXl.jpg

XwfHwx8l.png

TuZJNwil.png

dZg3mhXl.jpg

J5bLxOYl.jpg

And last but not least, my fuge light. After using the H80 for a couple months, I ended up switching out to the H380. I am extremely glad I did. I immediately (ok a couple days) noticed my chaeto responding to the light change. Before I couldn't get it to grow, it would white out and melt away. With the H380 it blew up!
pTTtco1l.jpg

tsQPv5dl.jpg

vHffvPwl.jpg

I hope you enjoyed reading and this and look forward to seeing others set up's and opinions!

Last edited:

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! The ap700 does look sleek, especially with the mounting arms.

I have a 40 gallon breeder with 1 a360we and 1 a160 over it. I had the 160 on a 20 gallon and switched it to this tank. Then I got the 360. I have a 2nd 360 on the way along with a t5 retrofit kit and some ati bulbs. Kinda want to see how it looks with t5 supplements. Not sure if they'll be permanent, depends if I like the look. Going to pick up material for a suspended canopy now.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! The ap700 does look sleek, especially with the mounting arms.

I have a 40 gallon breeder with 1 a360we and 1 a160 over it. I had the 160 on a 20 gallon and switched it to this tank. Then I got the 360. I have a 2nd 360 on the way along with a t5 retrofit kit and some ati bulbs. Kinda want to see how it looks with t5 supplements. Not sure if they'll be permanent, depends if I like the look. Going to pick up material for a suspended canopy now.
Definitely share some pictures when you do! In the end I want to get the 36" aquatic life t5 hybrid with my ap700. just need the funds :)

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at that aquatic life hybrid. I like it but based on the online dimensions, it's wider than my tank is(or deeper?)

I'll post a current pic when I get home. And again when I get the t5s up. That way we'll have a before and after here if anyone else is curious about the difference.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's some more koolaid for the junkies. Two A160WEs over a 20" 35g cube with an H380 fuge light. It's a little over kill for the size of my fuge, but I'm dialing in the sweet spot to get the best growth without burning up the chaeto.

20171229_151522.jpg
20171204_185216.jpg
Nice! What have you found to be the sweet spot for your chaeto? Height off water, run time ect..

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm running it on for three hours, off for an hour, then on again for three hours. I had it at four hours each for run time but the top started to turn white. I've really got a lot of concentrated light from the 380, but I don't have much room to go higher and I'm not wanting to grow hair algae in my skimmer section.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm running it on for three hours, off for an hour, then on again for three hours. I had it at four hours each for run time but the top started to turn white. I've really got a lot of concentrated light from the 380, but I don't have much room to go higher and I'm not wanting to grow hair algae in my skimmer section.
Is that a continuous cycle or do you only do it when the lights on the main tank are off

sneub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Kessils too, my tank is dismantled at this time, however going larger and plan on Kessils all the way.

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to pipe in and say i have 4 a160's and do love them but am questioning if I should swap them for 360's or a 700.
The thing is I just visited WWC in florida and after talking with Josh and carlos they showed me where they run their kessils at 100% max on pure blue. I was curious what other kessil owners did. I have been getting a nasty hair algae and I can't help but notice Crabs_mcjones is running his 700 at pure blue as well. Is that what you keep your tank looking like at all times?

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to pipe in and say i have 4 a160's and do love them but am questioning if I should swap them for 360's or a 700.
The thing is I just visited WWC in florida and after talking with Josh and carlos they showed me where they run their kessils at 100% max on pure blue. I was curious what other kessil owners did. I have been getting a nasty hair algae and I can't help but notice Crabs_mcjones is running his 700 at pure blue as well. Is that what you keep your tank looking like at all times?
I start mine at deep ocean blue(the bluest setting) but have it ramp up to ocean blue 3 (I believe that equates to 40 or 50%color on the spectral controller for my peak hours.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display lighting - Two Kessil A360WE (75% color and 70% intensity) and two 54w T5 (ATI Blue+)
Refugium lighting - Kessil H80 (Grow and 100% intensity)

38583321825_4c1e9b6d74_h.jpg

The larger monti cap, green toadstool, and cyphastrea were recently sold to better accommodate the acropora
37732345995_d535929c57_h.jpg

Some of the inhabitants; your Kessils dont have to be running full "blue" to get good color from your corals...
38815232974_cb2c04c1d8_h.jpg

27635906489_db763f5330_h.jpg

38247070424_3d5b7415db_h.jpg

24675042428_abe9563db3_h.jpg

37788092794_79e1d11215_h.jpg

39530707112_1b27bb16a4_h.jpg

39530706442_2042073a50_h.jpg

25690105008_a2131245eb_h.jpg

Contrary to popular belief, the H80 can work quite well...
25521774298_4d684ab3c5_h.jpg

Peace mon!
38851301864_c30898a5d1_h.jpg

Last edited:

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some snap shots of mine with and two bulb T5. Running an AP700 at 50% max with some red and green. Hoping to get a hybrid if they ever get them in stock. I love the light and the ease of control with the WiFi app. I used to have the A160s and needed more power. Growth has been great and with the T5, even better.
2da8445686cc4eaf21551b00c7f7f53c.jpg

e0b9564da85dd1c4336c09f626f3eb5b.jpg

8234802e25c3c92f6ea4dd6aa4795819.jpg

Some app photos. I those some weather conditions in there and run my lights from 9am to 10pm with a max intensity of 50% for 4 hours. If I tinker with the settings I try to do it in small increments. Corals are sensitive and will let you know if it's too much.
b46b8061fb98d3e5788d29924f27f23f.jpg

1585dabb4f1ca6727973429835824591.jpg

Have a small H80 in the sump, which works great for my chaeto.it is off at the moment.
a15e2c377d8d1463c2a9eb8dd5b69feb.jpg

Some more pics of my overcrowded tank. Duncans aren't too happy but they will bounce back.
1ba4591aff8e2a6cfc43e8ec6a7d2962.jpg

ad49e31646b434f280fdd9d6d3f992ab.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back