Kessil Show Off Thread (Warning, may be picture heavy!)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by crabs_mcjones, Jan 6, 2018.

?
  1. AP700

24.5%
  2. A360WE

56.1%
  3. A360N

2.9%
  4. A160

25.9%
  5. A80

8.6%
  6. H80

12.2%
  7. H380

10.1%
  8. Spectral Controller

21.6%
  9. A150

7.9%
  10. A350

2.9%
  11. H350

0.7%
  12. H150

1.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I'm shiny! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I am hoping to create a megathread for all users who drink the delicious koolaid that is Kessil. I would like this to become a discussion, question, and show off thread. Remember, there are no dumb questions and you cannot show me enough pictures :) So please, don't hold back and show us what you got!
    Also just a side note, I will allow healthy debate, but please try to keep this thread positive and fun :)

Starting with Crabs!
    I originally started out with a pair of Kessil A360WE's controlled by the Kessil Spectral Controller. I loved these lights. They looked great, performed great, and grew any coral I put under them.
    I eventually switched out the spectral controller for the Bluefish LED controller, as I wanted to be able to WiFi control my lights. The bluefish also came with other great features (but it's not the star of this thread :D )
    I also at the time was using the Kessil H80 for my fuge in the "grow" setting

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After having these lights for a year, I received a great opportunity to get an AP700. I could not pass it up. And I have to say I'm glad I did it. I absolutely love this light. I am able to WiFi control it without the addition of an external controller, and run different programs along with different weather simulations (many find these useless, but for aesthetics I enjoy them :) )
    There are some issues with the App, but I'm hoping after BRS's video and user feedback Kessil releases a firmware update to fix these issues soon. But otherwise the light is great and I'm really enjoying it. And I get compliments on it regularly from friends and family that come to visit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last but not least, my fuge light. After using the H80 for a couple months, I ended up switching out to the H380. I am extremely glad I did. I immediately (ok a couple days) noticed my chaeto responding to the light change. Before I couldn't get it to grow, it would white out and melt away. With the H380 it blew up!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope you enjoyed reading and this and look forward to seeing others set up's and opinions!

2. MTBake

MTBake Active Member

Nice setup! The ap700 does look sleek, especially with the mounting arms.

I have a 40 gallon breeder with 1 a360we and 1 a160 over it. I had the 160 on a 20 gallon and switched it to this tank. Then I got the 360. I have a 2nd 360 on the way along with a t5 retrofit kit and some ati bulbs. Kinda want to see how it looks with t5 supplements. Not sure if they'll be permanent, depends if I like the look. Going to pick up material for a suspended canopy now.

crabs_mcjones likes this.
  3. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I'm shiny! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Definitely share some pictures when you do! In the end I want to get the 36" aquatic life t5 hybrid with my ap700. just need the funds :)

4. MTBake

MTBake Active Member

I looked at that aquatic life hybrid. I like it but based on the online dimensions, it's wider than my tank is(or deeper?)

I'll post a current pic when I get home. And again when I get the t5s up. That way we'll have a before and after here if anyone else is curious about the difference.

5. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Ok here's some more koolaid for the junkies. Two A160WEs over a 20" 35g cube with an H380 fuge light. It's a little over kill for the size of my fuge, but I'm dialing in the sweet spot to get the best growth without burning up the chaeto.

20171229_151522.jpg 20171204_185216.jpg

6. crabs_mcjones

Nice! What have you found to be the sweet spot for your chaeto? Height off water, run time ect..

7. Robin Haselden

Right now I'm running it on for three hours, off for an hour, then on again for three hours. I had it at four hours each for run time but the top started to turn white. I've really got a lot of concentrated light from the 380, but I don't have much room to go higher and I'm not wanting to grow hair algae in my skimmer section.

8. crabs_mcjones

Is that a continuous cycle or do you only do it when the lights on the main tank are off

9. Robin Haselden

Only when tank lights are off.
    Screenshot_20180103-003129.jpg

Mal11224 and crabs_mcjones like this.
  10. sneub

sneub Active Member R2R Supporter

I love my Kessils too, my tank is dismantled at this time, however going larger and plan on Kessils all the way.

11. Scorpius

Scorpius Valuable Member

I'll play. Let me get some pics later today.

12. slayertx

slayertx Member

I just wanted to pipe in and say i have 4 a160's and do love them but am questioning if I should swap them for 360's or a 700.
    The thing is I just visited WWC in florida and after talking with Josh and carlos they showed me where they run their kessils at 100% max on pure blue. I was curious what other kessil owners did. I have been getting a nasty hair algae and I can't help but notice Crabs_mcjones is running his 700 at pure blue as well. Is that what you keep your tank looking like at all times?

13. crabs_mcjones

I start mine at deep ocean blue(the bluest setting) but have it ramp up to ocean blue 3 (I believe that equates to 40 or 50%color on the spectral controller for my peak hours.

14. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Disply lighting - Two Kessil A360WE (75% color and 70% intensity) and two 54w T5 (ATI Blue+)
    Refugium lighting - Kessil H80 (Grow and 100% intensity)

[​IMG]
    The larger monti cap, green toadstool, and cyphastrea were recently sold to better accommodate the acropora
    [​IMG]

Some of the inhabitants; your Kessils dont have to be running full "blue" to get good color from your corals...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Contrary to popular belief, the H80 can work quite well...
    [​IMG]

Peace mon!
    [​IMG]

15. Mal11224

Mal11224 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Some snap shots of mine with and two bulb T5. Running an AP700 at 50% max with some red and green. Hoping to get a hybrid if they ever get them in stock. I love the light and the ease of control with the WiFi app. I used to have the A160s and needed more power. Growth has been great and with the T5, even better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some app photos. I those some weather conditions in there and run my lights from 9am to 10pm with a max intensity of 50% for 4 hours. If I tinker with the settings I try to do it in small increments. Corals are sensitive and will let you know if it's too much.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Have a small H80 in the sump, which works great for my chaeto.it is off at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    Some more pics of my overcrowded tank. Duncans aren't too happy but they will bounce back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

crabs_mcjones and Tahoe61 like this.
  16. crabs_mcjones

"Like rays of life, shining down from above"
    [​IMG]

17. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Nice thread and nice tanks!

NowGlazeIT, sneub and crabs_mcjones like this.
  18. crabs_mcjones

Thanks @revhtree !!

sdotholmes likes this.
  19. cumbeje

cumbeje Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

16 kessil 360 N lighting my 700 gallon tank.

20180104_151143.jpg

20170825_082842.jpg

20. Mal11224

Mal11224 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Wow. Nice Kessil chandelier.

pelphrey, crabs_mcjones and cumbeje like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted