KessilKessil A160WE Schedule Suggestions

admiralmcstabby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon Biocube with a Kessil A160WE about 4in above the waterline. Things have been going pretty well but wanted to see if anyone had suggestions or tweaks for my schedule.

0900: B100/C0 INT 1
1000: B90/C10 INT 20
1130: B80/C20 INT 40
1230: B60/C40 INT 70
1730: Ramp down
B= Blue, C = White INT = Intensity

I guess also my biggest question is, do the blue LEDs for this unit provide actual wavelengths for growth or are they primarily for "looks"? I do know the white/color LEDs are important but I'm trying to keep a 12/14K look, however if the white LEDs are more important I'll definitely even it out to 50/50 at least.

Lastly, just FYI I'm going to try my best to keep inverts/LPS/SPS but at least inverts/LPS.

Thanks for the input

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue is typically the color that algae in the coral uses best. White is a mix and is typically for our eyes (and I would argue the fish's eyes). However, any color setting you choose should be fine (that is something that kessil advertises)

Personally, I would mount it at 8 inches and turn the intensity to 100 instead of maxing at 70.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with @Spare time the light should be mounted a little higher (6" to 8"). The intensity is based on what corals you're keeping. I've always just modded the quick set tuna blue setting in the controller for my schedule. It's based on a 12hr cycle. Peak time should be 6 to 8hrs with either a 2hr or 3hr ramp (your preference) up/down. I've found that 25% to 50% color is pretty good for peak hours, but this is based on personal preference. Once you get into sps, then go towards the "whiter" spectrum (during peak hours)which will really bring out the blues in acropora.
One light will be okay for LPS and maybe a couple sticks properly mounted under the light, but if you're going to add more sps (especially branching) you'll need another light or you'll have to supplement with led bars or something similar.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back