KH Guardian: Automatic Alkalinity Controller- My Experiences

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t an issue of “once I get it dialed in” - I have had my unit since last April and had been largely happy with it since then (I did have two issues in the first few months which required working with support to resolve). Now with the unit approaching 1 year, it’s an issue of reliability and long term operation.
So I reached out to the owner/maker and got a list of parts that should be replaced yearly to keep it going like it should
I can say mine is still kicking as good as the first day if you want I can give you a list it was like 57 dollars of parts and motors (not including a ph probe) directly from dr bridge himself

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I reached out to the owner/maker and got a list of parts that should be replaced yearly to keep it going like it should
I can say mine is still kicking as good as the first day if you want I can give you a list it was like 57 dollars of parts and motors (not including a ph probe) directly from dr bridge himself

Justin,

I think this would be helpful for all of us if you could post.

thanks!

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t an issue of “once I get it dialed in” - I have had my unit since last April and had been largely happy with it since then (I did have two issues in the first few months which required working with support to resolve). Now with the unit approaching 1 year, it’s an issue of reliability and long term operation.

I completely get that. I'm pretty sure the issue here is the probe. I've had probes die quick, even lab grade neptune probes. Dr. Bridge's recommendation is to have them cycled every 6 months and return the unused probe to the storage solution. This supposedly extends the lifecycle of the probe. At the same time, have you upgraded your firmware to the 9.003? This version disables the probe every 5 tests which supposedly helps extend the lifecycle also.

Usual maintenance also includes re-calibrating the ph probe on a regular basis (i forget if the suggested is every 3 months or 6 months). You can try re calibrating this probe to see if it brings you back to normal and then see how long that lasts. It will help confirm if the probe is the problem.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely get that. I'm pretty sure the issue here is the probe. I've had probes die quick, even lab grade neptune probes. Dr. Bridge's recommendation is to have them cycled every 6 months and return the unused probe to the storage solution. This supposedly extends the lifecycle of the probe. At the same time, have you upgraded your firmware to the 9.003? This version disables the probe every 5 tests which supposedly helps extend the lifecycle also.

Usual maintenance also includes re-calibrating the ph probe on a regular basis (i forget if the suggested is every 3 months or 6 months). You can try re calibrating this probe to see if it brings you back to normal and then see how long that lasts. It will help confirm if the probe is the problem.
Switch out probe every six months instead of calibrating and these are the parts
image.jpg

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How can I delete all the recorded tests from the previous owner? Would like to start this with a clean slate. I would like to have the time between test to be longer then every 4 hours. I am just going to use this as a monitor for now so 2 or 3 tests a day would be plenty and I’m all for not spending $15 or so a month in reagent.
Anyone have a link to a doser in case I would ever want to use this as a controller or is that possible with the monitor version?
Thanks
Jeff

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eng mode enabled then go to system settings then clear as card

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys. I screwed up big time today. I received all my updated parts and went to adjust the voltage output and must have shorted something out, saw the dreaded magic smoke and unit is now dead. Depending on the cost or repair of a new board (if even available) it might not be worth fixing.
Jeff

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys. I screwed up big time today. I received all my updated parts and went to adjust the voltage output and must have shorted something out, saw the dreaded magic smoke and unit is now dead. Depending on the cost or repair of a new board (if even available) it might not be worth fixing.
Jeff

That’s exactly why I wouldn’t never take mine apart! Once trident drops, I will have one is these monitors for sale :))

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff

I don't think the motherboard is that expensive to replace. IIIRC around $30. Sorry to hear that happened. The good news is that you can get the controller motherboard which will allow you to get the CCM which controls a calcium reactor, but if you're dosing you would need to use a neptune or something else to control the dosing pump.

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff

Sorry about that jjoos, I have wondered about how delicate the innards are; I guess I have been luck so far.

Reach out to David on the Facebook page. He is very good about helping customers out....the KHG is his baby.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think the motherboard is that expensive to replace. IIIRC around $30. Sorry to hear that happened. The good news is that you can get the controller motherboard which will allow you to get the CCM which controls a calcium reactor, but if you're dosing you would need to use a neptune or something else to control the dosing pump.
That is great news. I was afraid I would be out another $100+. I am assuming I would buy it from Dr. Bridge? I do run a ca reactor so maybe in the long run this is a plus. Do you know if it is sold out right or I will have to send back the old one? Ive been bummed all day. I hate it when I think I am doing good but it comes back to bite me in the rear!! One thing I have to give the kh guardian and Dr Bridge credit for is that the price of replacement parts are VERY reasonable.
thanks
Jeff

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about that jjoos, I have wondered about how delicate the innards are; I guess I have been luck so far.

Reach out to David on the Facebook page. He is very good about helping customers out....the KHG is his baby.
It really wasnt that bad taking apart at all. I was just stupid and while testing the voltage output I accidentally touched the positive and negative leads together and produced that magical smoke;Nailbiting
Jeff

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note - I made a good call not allowing the unit to adjust dkh. My tank would be screwed right now if it was pumping in alk solution after each test, thinking the alk is plummeting.

Whether KHG or one of the other boxes, I think it probably wise to use it as a monitoring/alerting devic only.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My KHG was very stable for the first month or so, now it is jumping all over the place in test values when I test it each time with a salifert it is always around 8

03/04 09:23:20 Force reverse calibration to 8.2 dKH
03/04 11:46:16 W.139 %0 AK. 0.00 KH :8.86
03/04 14:02:51 W.137 %0 OFF.110 KH :9.26
03/04 15:56:52 W.141 %0 OFF.110 KH :9.46
03/04 18:18:47 W.138 %0 AK. 0.00 KH :8.15
03/04 20:33:56 W.140 %0 OFF.110 KH :8.26
03/04 22:47:16 W.137 %0 OFF.110 KH :8.35
03/05 01:00:48 W.136 %0 OFF.110 KH :8.25
03/05 03:14:48 W.140 %0 OFF.110 KH :8.66
03/05 05:28:41 W.142 %0 OFF.110 KH :8.34
03/05 07:51:44 W.137 %0 AK. 0.00 KH :9.15
03/05 10:18:34 W.131 %0 OFF.110 KH :9.60
03/05 12:24:55 W.137 %0 OFF.110 KH :9.59

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to send the board to Taiwan for repair. Repair was only $40 and $7.50 return shipping. I mailed out on a monday and got an email from David the following wed that it was fixed and ready to be shipped back. These guys have great service.
If anyone is interested in adding wireless to their gaurdian check out this link. worked perfectly for me and was able to power it right up off the guardian.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VAP11G-Bri...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Jeff

silverarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a new probe from Coralvue to replaced the plastic blue probe that came with my KH monitor. However, the probe they sent me is a black probe. Are these black probes replacing the old blue probes?

06D794AE-2915-420F-AFC8-DFF1FE184AB9.jpeg

silverarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I contacted Coralvue and Carlos sent me an image showing the correct positioning for the black plastic probe.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting they’re sending out that probe now, they sent me two in a row that were glass with a black top that both failed in about 6 weeks, I’m still trying to get Carlos to refund me for the $100 I paid but wants me to send in my unit (again)... I’ve just been using the probe that came with my apexEL now.

EDIT: I see you have the monitor not the controller, which came with a plastic probe in the first place, hope you have better luck with that probe then I had with mine. I do not like that CV is shipping replacement probes/parts that are not OEM/ same as originally came with the unit as designed.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back