Killing Jellyfish

aok2715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unsure if this is the appropriate location for this type of post, but I am compelled to comment.

My family and I are vacationing in Gulf Shores, AL this week. We are staying at a location that is away from the high traffic areas near the main highway (Hwy 59). Yesterday, we were at the beach. The caution flags are out this week due to jellyfish being present in the water. It's not a lot, but they are there.

We then witnessed what was in our opinion, a horrible practice. Many people, old and young alike, were trolling the span of the beach with nets. As they encountered jellyfish, they would fish them out and then dump them on the sand to die. My kids and I were very troubled by this. We asked several people why they were doing this. They said that jellies were dangerous to swimmers and there were so many, so their actions were justified.

We strongly disagreed.

As people dumped the jellyfish and moved on, we would rescue them and return them to the water. Sadly, there were more killers than rescuers on the beach.

I do not know your opinion on this subject. But in my opinion, this is horrible. I was truly angered by this practice...and am also very sad.

I enjoy SCUBA. I love to view all of these beautiful creatures in their habitat. I keep reef fish in my home (and sometimes I labor over that choice). And if one of my creatures dies, especially due to my own negligence or failures, I get very upset. I understand that some things in the oceans are dangerous. But I fail to see how that justifies this behavior. If you don't want to get stung by a jellyfish, then stay out of the water. But don't visit their home and remove them to die just so you don't have to pay attention while you swim.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awful thing. Some people just don't understand we are in their house, not the other way around.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back