Kings First Reef

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some pics of my first reef build, it's a 55 mixed reef. I started with a 55 that was drilled and a black stand. The wife didn't like the stand so the first thing I did was to strip and refinish it. I didn't think to take pics of this process so I don't have any.
Here is a pic of the tank when I got it.
DSCI4079.jpg

DSCI4087.jpg

I added a DIY sump, it's a 20h that i divided into two compartments.
DSCI4369.jpg

DSCI4370.jpg

The tank didn't have a canopy, it came with the perfecto light. I built a canopy to match the stand and added T-5 Retro Kit to it.
DSCI4229.jpg

DSCI4279.jpg
DSCI4251.jpg

DSCI4281.jpg

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple more pics of the T-5's
DSCI4279.jpg

DSCI4280.jpg

Heres a pic of the sump and my first attempt at a fuge.
DSCI4373.jpg

I didn't like the tote, I was scared that I would come home one day and have water all over the floor so I got an Acrylic and moded it to fit under the stand.
DSCI4488.jpg

DSCI4487.jpg

Everything in the sump makes it kind of tight.
First attempt at rock work, I have made some modifications since then.
DSCI4484.jpg

What I did to make the rock not lay on the glass was build a frame out of 1/2" pvc and drilled the rock to fit on it. I didn't really think to get any pics of this but you can see a piece of the pipe sticking out of the rock in this next pic.
DSCI4300.jpg

Added my first coral thanks to Joey08 and H@RRY.
DSCI4455.jpg

DSCI4456.jpg

DSCI4461.jpg

DSCI4452.jpg

Here is a FTS from early on.
Aquarium018.jpg

and here is one from a few weeks ago.
DSCI0149.jpg

Not much to look at, but I have learned alot with this tank in hte year and ahalf that I have had it running.
I am planning to upgrade in February when I move that way I only have to take the tank down one time.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good bro! I remember when I first started and I thought everything including bubble algae and aptasia was cool as heck. You have inspired me to start a new thread! :D

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Ricky. I think Ive seen some of that stuff before. ;) You got lucky compared to most you was able to get alot of your stuff at a real good deal.

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Ricky. I think Ive seen some of that stuff before. ;) You got lucky compared to most you was able to get alot of your stuff at a real good deal.

Yeh, thanks for the deals and the freebies :bigsmile:, I hope to get as lucky when I upgrade at the end of the year.

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY is the best if you know what you're doing. I unfortunately am not gifted in the DIY area, so I have to waste money on things others can make. :)

Will you be building your sump, stand, and canopy on your next project?

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what I can get as far as the tank and stand go. I plan on using my current tank as the sump/fuge on the next setup so yes I will be DIY'ing that part of it. Depending on what I get (I am going to buy a used tank) will depend on what I do for a canopy and lighting. I might build my own stand because I want more room under it for equiipment. My stand now is so tight that i can't remove my skimmer without pulling the fuge and then the sump completely out of the stand. The stand is not tall enough, I can barely get the collection cup off the skimmer when it needs to be dumped.

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far. I love DIY Projects :)

Thanks, Where at in Central Florida are you located? Before I got transfered up to Alabama at the begining of 2006, I was living in Lake Placid. The wife and I really liked it there and plan on moving back one day.

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in Winter Garden, West of Orlando. What about you guys?

Thanks, Where at in Central Florida are you located? Before I got transfered up to Alabama at the begining of 2006, I was living in Lake Placid. The wife and I really liked it there and plan on moving back one day.

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I am in the Birmingham Alabama area due to a job transfer. I guess I can't really complain, I'm still working. I spent basically between 2000 and 2008 in the south/central Florida area working. The wife was really bumbed when they told me that they were sending me to Birmingham. The boss called himself doing me a favor as I am origanlly from Mobile.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank thread. like everyone else said you did a great job in the beginning with diy stuff. when people are new to the hobby most wont try the diy stuff. youve def. made some great progress with the tank, and it looks really nice.
cant wait to see what you end up choosing for your upgrade :)

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a line on a couple of different tanks. a 75 with external overflow, 90 RR and a 125 external overflow. Of course I would preffer the 125 but I will probably get which ever one is available when the time comes.

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right, here are the pics of the tank taken this evening.
Full Tank Shots
DSCI1940.jpg

DSCI1953.jpg

New stuff on the rack.
DSCI1944.jpg

New Candy Canes
DSCI1948.jpg

DSCI1949.jpg

DSCI1951.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back