Klir Filter Review.

Gotfrogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of completely rebuilding my 58 gallon setup. I took advantage of the 25% discount and opportunity with replumbing the system to add a 7" Klir. I have a Zero Edge Series 7 26" sump and with a minor modification I was able to get the filter to fit. The main box fit fine but the round ring that goes in the filter sock would not clear the opening when attached to the filter. I am not sure why the designer decided to secure the ring in place but I was able to modify the design and 3D print a new ring that has clearance for the bottom 1/2 of the filter to slide through so it does not have to come out with the main box.

IMG_6450.jpg
IMG_6452.jpg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of completely rebuilding my 58 gallon setup. I took advantage of the 25% discount and opportunity with replumbing the system to add a 7" Klir. I have a Zero Edge Series 7 26" sump and with a minor modification I was able to get the filter to fit. The main box fit fine but the round ring that goes in the filter sock would not clear the opening when attached to the filter. I am not sure why the designer decided to secure the ring in place but I was able to modify the design and 3D print a new ring that has clearance for the bottom 1/2 of the filter to slide through so it does not have to come out with the main box.
That’s awesome! Believe it or not I have the same sump, and found the “integrated” ring a huge pain as well. I lack the 3D printing skills so went a bit more old school. I ended up cutting the edges off the ring so it would fit through the sump opening and then made a “gasket” for the Klir assembly to sit on that would seal the filter opening.

I also relocated the optical sensor to a sump wall using a mag mount

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hooked up my di4, when I plug it in the motor just runs and runs. Anybody experience this, is it something I did wrong?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually I ended up making a sensor holder to mount the sensor in a different location where there was no bubbles

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really interesting the various experiences folks have had with the optical sensor. I wonder what the true variables are. I installed the sensor as designed and it's yet to fail me or work in a fashion that otherwise would be less than optional. I'm not saying that anyone is installing theirs incorrectly at all, but curious as to why there is the wide variety in performance. I don't like to use the term luck, but maybe there's a key item that influences how this works?

SaltMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how it looks in my sump
image.jpg
Make sure the beveled flat edge of the sensor is horizontal or parallel with the water. Also make sure water is not splashing or build up of moisture on the sensor, may have to position sensor on opposite side of water flow may help.

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the beveled flat edge of the sensor is horizontal or parallel with the water. Also make sure water is not splashing or build up of moisture on the sensor, may have to position sensor on opposite side of water flow may help.

I thought it was possibly the sensor was the wrong way, however this is how it is cut to fit in the slot. The beveled edge is up and down, so vertical. This is incorrect?

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was possibly the sensor was the wrong way, however this is how it is cut to fit in the slot. The beveled edge is up and down, so vertical. This is incorrect?

I believe it one fits one way, I don’t know if they made a change based on people having issues with it. But I have had zero issues over the past month.

DD7F38FB-CDF7-43D6-B6AD-51DA41D26AAC.jpeg

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horizontal

Ahh, yeah my sensor doesn’t fit in horizontal, it has notches in the sensor so that it only fits in vertically. I was on the fence given all the negative reviews, and right out of the box it disappoints lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back