Kole Tang Quarantine

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! My recent posts have been regarding Kole tangs. The one I want is 1.5" and my plans are either a 55 or 40 gallon Aquarium. Odds are it'll be a 55, and it'll be the only fish in there. What're your thoughts on a 1.5" Kole Tang being in a 20g qt for a few weeks or more?

Here's my gourami (about 2 inches) in my planted tank for reference

f67fd95c89556596591221d7d18cf2c2.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining for a very temporary time will be fine. But if you actually care for the animal you wouldn't keep it in an enclosure too small for it's needs. There are plenty of fish that would happily be housed in a 40/55, but a kole tang needs more space, even a small one.

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's perfectly fine! I have four separate tanks, one is my actual quarantine, one is my FOWLR display, one is my invertebrate display/quarantine, and the last one is my reef tank/grow out tank. I don't think it makes sense to keep such a tiny fish (esp. babies) that may need careful attention and multiple feedings in such a large tank where it may not be able to find/compete for the food. In my experience, the fish either becomes an expensive meal or magically disappears.

I have never had a fish that was less than 2" survive in my 180G (includes Koles, blue tangs, yellow tangs, wrasses, puffers...the list goes on). They get bullied easily, they are out-competed for food, and most of the time they are so shy they starve themselves to death in the hole they hide in--which by the time you notice, it'll already be too late. I prefer to keep smaller fish in a smaller system where I can monitor their health, feed them, and intervene whenever there is an issue like starvation due to stress. Most of my small fish goes into the grow out tank until I have enough confidence that they will make it.

If your fish is only 1.5", I would suggest keeping it where it can have access to food without competition until it grows a bit more. Those tiny babies grows very slowly, but dies very quickly. If it's eating well and growing, do make plans for when it outgrows the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back