Kole Tang

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the research I've done on them, I learned they need swimming room. I can't afford a full blown Reef (15 and about to get first job) so I'll probably use 20lbs of rock. I know they're territorial, and with my tiny budget, I want it to be the only fish in the tank. Do you think that's an option? 30+ gallons of swimming room all to its self.

I know that isn't a lot, but I think with a lack of extreme rockwork/coral he'll have close to the same swimming room as a 55g Reef. And without territories of other fish I also think it'd minimize stress. What do you think?
*if there's more flow than less flow do fish feel more comfortable? Wondering for a qt tank

There hasn't been any negativity yet, and this is all just hypothetical, so please don't bring any [emoji1]
Its not rally that much about the gallons, its the length of your tank. They like to swim, so a tank at least 36" long, and probably 48", is a must.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's pause for a moment. Pitts, I've read the responses and honestly don't think any of them are rude. It's hard to hear it's not a good idea to do something, especially when it's something you really really want. In this hobby, I've learned I will hear what I don't want to. I've also learned to heed advice from others. Please consider this. I may to new this forum but know in general the people in this hobby want you to succeed. They really do. And many times advice is given, and not taken, and some time later there is a post asking why is my fish sick, my water parameters won't stabilize, etc, all because the advice was not taken and at times, people get defensive. Tangs are susceptible to disease when stressed. This can come from food (lack of variety), picky eaters, competition, and not enough room (I'm sure there is more but you get my point). The advice provided is saying a 70 is min. This is based on experience from multiple sources. If you proposed a 65 or 55, ok, but not a 29, it's not a good idea.

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one is trying to be rude, just trying to help. It'd be worse to introduce you Tang to that system and get attached and then be upset by its short life span. If you're dead set on this fish then i'd save up or ask for a larger tank for x-mas and transfer everything you have. Keep in mind that the larger the system the more the cost and being young and in High school i wouldn't want to spend all my money on a reef tank ill have to leave behind when I go to college.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's pause for a moment. Pitts, I've read the responses and honestly don't think any of them are rude. It's hard to hear it's not a good idea to do something, especially when it's something you really really want. In this hobby, I've learned I will hear what I don't want to. I've also learned to heed advice from others. Please consider this. I may to new this forum but know in general the people in this hobby want you to succeed. They really do. And many times advice is given, and not taken, and some time later there is a post asking why is my fish sick, my water parameters won't stabilize, etc, all because the advice was not taken and at times, people get defensive. Tangs are susceptible to disease when stressed. This can come from food (lack of variety), picky eaters, competition, and not enough room (I'm sure there is more but you get my point). The advice provided is saying a 70 is min. This is based on experience from multiple sources. If you proposed a 65 or 55, ok, but not a 29, it's not a good idea.

Agree but where do you people see me saying 29 is good? I clearly said it's bad several times

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29, 30+, 40, 50 all the same in this instance. What size is your tank?

And congrats on the new-first job! Hopefully it's something fun.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29, 30+, 40, 50 all the same in this instance. What size is your tank?

And congrats on the new-first job! Hopefully it's something fun.

I have spare 40 and 55 - I breed reptiles. I think there's a difference between 29 and 50 - many people have success in 55 gallons, from what I've read.

My tank was a 20, heater failure killed it. As I've said before - this is a future tank. I'd never keep one in something smaller than 40 (and from what people are saying that's a stretch. Not sure why people think I agree with a small tank when I've said so many times I agree).

But I do still have a 20g QT and the survivors are in a 10g (just 2 clowns, hermits, some coral, and a few Snails)

Think a Kole would be ok in a 20g? It's 1.5" and solely for QT purposes. Here's my freshwater tank - dwarf gourami is about 2 inches and in the bottom right corner

83c6fced0a4ac1e156f3557ab9772690.jpg

The tank dwarfs him so I feel it'd be ok for a Kole - what's your input?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a "lot"of really cool smaller fish that would do great in Your size tank. You want the Kole? That's your call.Consider some smaller fish, you could have more than just one.

Keydiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kole in a 70g, but I would highly recommend against anything smaller than that. A lack of rock work isn't super useful, and may actually just stress him/her more due to a lack of hiding places. Look into blennies, great beginner fish that is also nice and active but doesn't require so much swimming space. Midas Blennies are similarly priced as a kole and quite a bit brighter!

aquariumreefers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger the better especially for tank which need lots of swimming space or else they will get stressed or sick and eventually die 60-100g minimum tank size would work. Also depending on what other tank mates you have and how long hjas the tank been established. Always QT as well to avoid introducing illness to your current fish.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole tang need lots of swimming distance and a lot of grazing area. Therefore I never ever consider it for a new tank or even a young tank. A 20g qt (6week) is fine for a tiny tang. Just not for longer.

I would try a smaller fish for a 40 or 55. Jm2C

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anybody's being rude, a lot of people just feel strongly when it comes to the well being of animals. Are you planning on getting a bigger tank at some point? Depending on the length of the 55, it would be ok holding the kole tang for a while if you get a baby. But you have to realize this fish gets 7 inches long. That's huge. A 7 inch long fish is not in any way suitable for a 40 or 55 gallon tank. The pet co dollar a gallon deal is going on right now. You could consider getting a 70 gallon if you really want a tang

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back