KorD's future Nem tank

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an unexpected journey to get back in this hobby. New job, better pay, and LOTS of begging the wife.. and the wife finally giving in.

All beginning's have to start somewhere..

Climbing through the attic and pulled down everything sitting in storage for the last 4 years. Seems like I was just missing a few needed things like a tank and stand, and new RODI filters.

Found a dang good deal on the tank, and from there I knew I wanted a little extra with my stand this time... I want a unit without doors, and that would look nice. A little planning and a whole lot of drawing (at work because I should get paid for this kind of thing [emoji87] )

I'll spare y'all all the pics, but this is what I ended up with. A stand with a surrounded/removable face and sides to let me in at all angles if I need it. I could not be happier with this choice of stand this time.. I think I just got tired trying to fit through a cabinet door to wrangle off protein skimmer top.

Next on the list is leveling it off and setting up the tank. Plumbing the tank is the easy part. It the wait for a good cycle and leveling off that is going to kill me

I will be running the 29 gal with 7 gal sump, maybe the duel kessil lights I have, or I'll get something new..
I'm still planning it all out, but I do know it is going to be a nem tank with a couple clowns and a good cleanup crew.
IMG_20190409_202012419.jpeg
IMG_20190409_202125620.jpeg

I made sure I cut out for the chair rail we have it will be placed against so the stand sits flush with the wall.. I have it so the tanks plumbing will be two inches from the wall... I actually gave this stand some thinking this time..[emoji1]

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided I was not done yet.. I added more trim to the front to take away from the all sliver-ish white wash.. I'm much more happy with this design now.
IMG_20190410_191700147.jpeg

Here is a close up of the chair rail cutout.. it was a little more tricky then I hoped for, but hey.. why not go all out if I have to see this in my living room.[emoji1]
IMG_20190410_191807369.jpeg

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newest update... Tank is plumed to the sump, ATO is ready to run, and all little gadgets are in their old homes from years ago.
I added the light stand because I do not want to hang the new lights coming from the ceiling.

IMG_20190412_145805844.jpeg

Don't be scared of my Frankenstein outlet box. It has been on two different tanks and lasted so far over 6 years in operation. (I have been properly yelled at in the past for it, but it works and I'll stick with it.)

Two outlets are on a timer incase I want intermediate interruption of any of my devices. It works great 4 running a pump for the calcium reactor since I have such a small tank I don't want it running 24/7.
IMG_20190412_145939427.jpeg

I should have it flowing water and live rock in it by next weekend. This week is full of todos and I'm going to be too busy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. I liked.. updates are fun... While digging though some of my old saltwater boxes of junk I can across a Puratek ATO... I forgot I packed it away. I actually won this on R2R about three or so years ago for winning a contest...
I totally forgot about it because my last tank was a pico and it was overkill to attach it to the tank...
Now I jusT have to read through the 20+ page instructions on how to hook it up and I'll be golden.. after looking up the price.. this thing is well over my budget that I would spend on equipment for my tank..

I'm actually a little scared to hook it up [emoji23]
1555127677042.jpeg

Wish me luck..

1555127677042.jpeg

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! The stand turned out nice! :)
Thanks, funny thing is I feel it is not fully done yet. I don't know why, but I'm thinking I will add the trim I did to the front to the sides.. I could be wrong and just say it's good enough for now..lol
I'm really OCD about these things.

So OCD that I actually measured the top of the stand to perfectly pit the tank into the right spot so it is dead center.. hence the green tape you see in the last pic..lol

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, funny thing is I feel it is not fully done yet. I don't know why, but I'm thinking I will add the trim I did to the front to the sides.. I could be wrong and just say it's good enough for now..lol
I'm really OCD about these things.

So OCD that I actually measured the top of the stand to perfectly pit the tank into the right spot so it is dead center.. hence the green tape you see in the last pic..lol
Nothing wrong with OCD, it's much easier to move the tank empty!

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She be salty yo!
Somewhere in this tank is 11 pounds of rock I threw together in total cloudy water.. should be interesting to see what it looks like once the filter sock grabs all the goodies.

Once the tank is clear, the sock will be removed and I will just use a small sponge between the bubble locks.

I must have had dumb luck.. I have never had a tank run this quiet before.. I'm sure I'll screw it up somehow...[emoji23]
IMG_20190414_180442846_HDR.jpeg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah
Thanks. I'm still a little scared. Things actually went as planned.. no leaks, just enough water to fill it and the sump, perfect salt levels... I know I'm in for something big[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Nah, sounds like your on track. Just sit back and let it do it's thing. :)

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the filter sock for helping clear up this water.. I can see rock now.. should be 100 percent clear by morning.. now I just have to toss in an oz of turbo start in an hour..

IMG_20190414_193505963.jpeg

Thinking I might also have to adjust my rocks a little.. need to make sure I have 2 inches for front, back, and sides.. Conch's are awesome, but they get stuck a lot.. they are stupid, but awesome.

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's testing is looking good. After using the Fritz 900 turbo start the levels are on par-ish for it being 24 hours of flow.
The filter sock did an amazing job of pulling all the dust from the substrate. I am going to add a tinge more salt to bring the salinity levels up a tad.

PH - 8
Ammonia - .25
Salinity - 1.022 and 1/2
Temp - 82°F
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - .10

But there is how she looks today.

1555362589469.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back