kzens' great wave 40 Breeder :)

kristofferzen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorta new on this site I have been in saltwater about 3 years now. I just started up a 40 breeder over the summer. Some of the rocks and marinelife were transferred over from my 8 gallon ADA rimless project. I previously owned a ADA 18 gallon which I used for about a year. It was a mixed tank which I eventually hooked up to a 20 gallon sump. I moved then downsized to an 8 gallon ADA. I drilled it and put a sump on it as well. I love having a sump on a tank. It makes life easier. This tank I have now was originally all HOB. I used a Reef Octopus BH90 and AC 70 with intank Media basket but got tired of seeing equipment hanging off the back. So I recently upgraded to an overflow system again. I plan on having the tank be a mixed life tank. I probably wont go to crazy with SPS but one or two might pop up. Mainly a softy/LPS for now.
Here is my 40 breeder:)
103561d1383837225-hello-all-img_2729.jpg

Here is was as a HOB without the top.
103567d1383838662-hello-all-img_2724.jpg

Another HOB pre sump shot.....
103568d1383838733-hello-all-img_2725.jpg

Here is a quick low down on the tank....

Brand: Deep Blue 40 Breeder

Stand: DIY with brown paint. I used Rocket Engineers blueprints and overbuilt it :)...child locks included :) Plus DIY Canopy.

Lighting: Razor 160Watt

Main Pump: MP10 non wireless (for time being)

ATO: Tunze

Skimmer (just got it in the mail!!!): Bubble Magus Curve 5.

Sump: Eshopps 70

Overflow (shoulda drilled it!! but didnt :( ....Life Reef Overflow with Silencer...works very well :)

Return Pump: Sicce 2.0-very quiet pump. I have only used eheim in the past. I like this one just as well as eheim now!

Plumbing: Clear/Black Vinyl from home depot/marine depot.

Substrate: Mix of Carib Sea Alive and Reeflakes about 50-60 lbs from LFS/premium aquatics.

Rock: Mixed BRS rocks with a Eco-Ceramic Rock on the left side of picture. Also used mortar to make the structure on the right.

BRS 4 stage 90g/p/d RODI with 25 gallon RO/DI water reserve container (potable water container on DIY shelf)

Fauna/Flora:
2 black/mixed clowns (I got as tiny tiny babies)
1 Dwarf Flame Angel
1 Black cap basslet
1 blue spot jawfish (I made a DIY condo with PVC/Sand/Rock, he is now living in it!!)
Blue Sympodium
6-7 Zoa Frags
1 Pink Bubble anemone
1 red chalice
Various mushrooms
Maxi Mini Anemones
Few macro algae
1 Sexy Shrimp
1 Cleaner shrimp
1 Hammer LPS

Here are some more recent pictures. I add some pics of my sump and my DIY jawfish house later... I really wish I would have planned my stand better, it would have allowed me to put a larger sump in! Right now it's housing 2 neo therm heaters, a curve 5 skimmer about 7 lbs or more of live rock and that's about it. I also added an overflow. I got the much hyped lifereef slimline. I really like it! I have eshopps overflows in the past and the design is similar. This lifereef is very sturdy and well built. I got the silencer and now it is fairly quiet.
I could have DIYd it but just chose to pony up a few extra bucks and relax :) It has a flow up to 600 gph (I think) but I have my sicce pump
turned pretty low (I like a slower flow in the sump and it's not as loud with my setup).
Here is the lifereef with plumbing attached...so easy a caveman could do it :)
IMG_2973.jpg

leak testing
IMG_2976.jpg

a pic of the silencer...it's pretty big! but works!
IMG_2977.jpg

closeup shot
IMG_2979.jpg

my approval.....
IMG_2984.jpg

OP
OP
K

kristofferzen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Wave - New Pics

Ok more pictures :)
Here is my Magus Curve 5. So far I would rate it as a 5/5. It is relatively quiet and produces good nasty skimmate. I have read that
the pump could be improved on but it is fine for me right now. There is a wine carafe appearance or bottle neck which is a little different
than my previous skimmers. I had previously had a reef octopus BH90 with my brief HOB setup and got tired of overflowing the collection cup
and making a mess, so having this in the sump is sweet! It has a small footprint. My sump is <20INches wide and <10 inches wide, and this easily fits.
IMG_3045.jpg

I really like the quick release system that is has, it makes it VERY easy to dissasemble and clean
IMG_3046.jpg

another shot of skimmer pre-use, very well made piece of equipment.
IMG_3047.jpg

Here it is in my eshopps RS 75 sump
IMG_3048.jpg

YIKES here is my Tunze ATO and the sicce 2.0 pump to the far bottom left corner.
IMG_3049.jpg

OP
OP
K

kristofferzen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY Blue Spot Jawfish Condo :)

:smile: Soooo... I googled jawfish condo and saw some cool diy products using PVC. Went to HD and got 1 inch PVC with (3) 1 inch
45 degree PVC bends. Also got lots of loctite gel. Got home cracked some pieces of live rock and glued them and sand to the PVC (
I did need to sand the PVC to get the sand to stick). Then had a nice piece of live rock that I used to put a sympodium frag to, over
the entire structure. It's not perfect. I read that some people did different tricks to get their jawfish to go into the structure. Mine
went inside overnight. It is now using all 3 entrances to the "condo" after about one week! It is a joy to watch and now sometimes swims
in the open too! It is fun watching it go into one entrance and then pop out the side! I made the structure in the shape of a roughly made
T so it has some different ways to get in and out of pretty quickly.
IMG_3080.jpg

There it is :)

IMG_3082.jpg

I have it situated in the center of the tank...so fun!
IMG_3084.jpg

Cant wait for the sympodium frag to grow out. I might pick up another one and attach is close by so they can grow into each other.
IMG_3090.jpg

One last pic...
IMG_3078.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back