Large galaxea colony. Tips for tissue loss?

  • Thread starter Thread starter t5Nitro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
2,030
Reaction score
1,427
Location
WI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I have about an 8-9" galaxea colony which I will post a picture below is losing tissue circumferentially around the base. Tank is new, cycled in January. Coral has done wonderful until now. I will list water parameters below.

SG 1.025
Ca 445
dKh 9.1
Phos 0.10
Ammonia 0

Coral sits on the glass of a 20 inch deep tank lit by orphek atlantik v4. It gets heavy flow from a maxspect gyre. Any chance of saving this coral? All but 1 SPS I've lost already and attributed it to the tank being too new. There must be something abnormal though despite good water parameters. Tank has been cloudy for 2 weeks or better. I cant pin it down to anything a hobby test kit can give me. Notably, the euphilia were looking also pretty bad but they have opened better and looked the best I've seen them in a month which I am very happy for!

Any tips for this one I'd appreciate. I'm currently trying to not let all the coral losses get to me. I've been removing as they go and wont add any more at this time. All corals came from a 7 yr established tank. No new livestock, simply transferred that whole established tank to my tank when it needed to be taken down.

20200412_200253.jpg

As a comparison, here is the top of it.

20200412_202940.jpg
 
Gyres produce a ton of flow.. LPS like Galaxia like moderate flow at best. Try turning down the flow a bit and see if that helps
 
Mostly likely it's the new tank but could the cloudiness be blocking the light from reaching the coral? Maybe a uv sterilizer is in order
 
Unless that’s the only coral you want in a 24” radius, I’d recommend getting rid of it. Galaxea have some of the longest stinging sweepers I’ve ever seen, and nobody can beat them
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new