OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a talent with the camera and reefs, old man. Spectacular on both levels. :)
I wish I could have something crazy like that.
Thank you and I have "bolding" the important word in this case. Talents comes with experiences and experiences comes with time - or let me say - time to do enough of mistakes:D

Stunning photos!
Thank you - but I think that many of my pictures is works because I use a camera that allows all mistake you can do at the same time and still deliver a decent picture. My best picture ever was taken more or less without me notice it. I realize how good is was when I was going through the photos in my usual way. Put them in photoshop and "show real pixels". Some of the videos is just done by running the camera at a certain spot in the aquaria and see what's happen. Since a year - I have not find my favourite edition program (Windows movie maker) but recently I found some that let me pick out scenarios and put them together to one video (free)

This is my best photo till now (and maybe for ever) - It is of my "Linslus" (Photobomber in english). With a little help I could take out the best of the original photo. Observe - the only manipulation done is that I cut out this

1596007462116.png

from this particular photo

1596007607897.png

Sincerely Lasse

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and I have "bolding" the important word in this case. Talents comes with experiences and experiences comes with time - or let me say - time to do enough of mistakes:D
So true :)

v3v3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse, I want to say it for a long time: your aquarium it's magnificent!!!!.
I follow this post from the beginning and I implemented a lot from you in my aquarium. Maybe, in time, I'll take courage and describe my own aquarium.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a pretty photo!

Thank you

@Lasse, I want to say it for a long time: your aquarium it's magnificent!!!!.
I follow this post from the beginning and I implemented a lot from you in my aquarium. Maybe, in time, I'll take courage and describe my own aquarium.

Thank you

Please make a build thread - its always interesting to see how other people do and hear about their experiences.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it happens tat a fish just disappear for me and during the last weeks I have missed my possum wrasse. I do not see it very often but at least once every day it had show up in the past. This fish is more or less a must for me and I have felt very sad for this lost. Today I leave our apartment for a two days travel to the south of Sweden. Last check of my aquarium was to see if my inlet to the stand pipe was OK and what did I spot in the overflow chamber - good guess - my possum wrasse and he/she was fine.

I will catch it up when I come home but I feel a little bit better now :D:D

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now is my possum wrasse back in the DT. I will take out the whole refugium next week an see if there is more fish that have moved to the more sheltered areas of my tank. I found a little hole in the raster between the DT and my refugium.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few question as a pm about purple non sulphur bacteria from a member here at reef2reef. These bacteria and their relatives purpur sulphur bacteria is very interesting organisms. Both of the can handle photosynthesis during anaerobic circumstances but the non sulphur purpur can handle all 4 important stages of bacteria - oxygen, nitrate, sulphur and hydrogen ions as electron acceptors. It means that they can work as normal aerobic mineralizers, anaerobic denitrification, hydrogen sulphide producers and methane producers and .... during certain circumstances even use photosynthesis without oxygen production. In late 90:ties I did some test with this type of bacteria in a wastewater plant I worked at - it works but we lost the population and the experiment was closed. They have not been in my head since that. But now I start to gather information of the evolution of this technique since the 90:ties. And it has happens a lot. Among some farmers and hobby farmers of crops a method with the name Bokashi is in common use. It is build on a blend of microorganism with the name of "effective microorganisms" this blend include purple non sulphur bacteria (among others).

After a visit to my daughter down in the south of Sweden I could grab a bottle of effective microorganism from her and I have start to seed my plenum below the DSB with these bacteria and fungus. We will see what´s happen.

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few question as a pm about purple non sulphur bacteria from a member here at reef2reef. These bacteria and their relatives purpur sulphur bacteria is very interesting organisms. Both of the can handle photosynthesis during anaerobic circumstances but the non sulphur purpur can handle all 4 important stages of bacteria - oxygen, nitrate, sulphur and hydrogen ions as electron acceptors. It means that they can work as normal aerobic mineralizers, anaerobic denitrification, hydrogen sulphide producers and methane producers and .... during certain circumstances even use photosynthesis without oxygen production. In late 90:ties I did some test with this type of bacteria in a wastewater plant I worked at - it works but we lost the population and the experiment was closed. They have not been in my head since that. But now I start to gather information of the evolution of this technique since the 90:ties. And it has happens a lot. Among some farmers and hobby farmers of crops a method with the name Bokashi is in common use. It is build on a blend of microorganism with the name of "effective microorganisms" this blend include purple non sulphur bacteria (among others).

After a visit to my daughter down in the south of Sweden I could grab a bottle of effective microorganism from her and I have start to seed my plenum below the DSB with these bacteria and fungus. We will see what´s happen.

Sincerely Lasse
So much more that I still need to learn.....

One concern I have always had with sulfur reactors to reduce nitrates is that I don't believe they would help with phosphates. It seems that growing Chaeto in a refugium or carbon dosing at least removes some phosphates. Is phosphate build up a larger concern when using a sulfur as a denitrifier?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a sulphur denitrator bacteria - on the opposite - these are purple non sulphur bacteria. They do not need sulphur for metabolism - they can use it but they do not need it.

Sincerely Lasse

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much more that I still need to learn.....

One concern I have always had with sulfur reactors to reduce nitrates is that I don't believe they would help with phosphates. It seems that growing Chaeto in a refugium or carbon dosing at least removes some phosphates. Is phosphate build up a larger concern when using a sulfur as a denitrifier?
These bacteria will still need P for growth and energy transfer. The problem is the larger effect sulfurdenitrification has on alkalinity which you compensate by disolving CaCO3 (it is partly a Ca-reactor) which tends to be poluted with P. So there is a balancing act going on that determines the end effect on P.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These bacteria will still need P for growth and energy transfer. The problem is the larger effect sulfurdenitrification has on alkalinity which you compensate by disolving CaCO3 (it is partly a Ca-reactor) which tends to be poluted with P. So there is a balancing act going on that determines the end effect on P.
In order to avoid misunderstanding. The bacteria active in sulphur denitrification is chemoautotrophs using sulphur in the process.

The group I have mentioned here have different way of make their livings

They not only need P for growth - they can also be luxury consumers of P - it means - store more P than they need for growth. the bacteria in my "mix" is mainly from the genus Rhodopseudomonas .
They can use photosynthesis in anaerobic environment but also other types of metabolisms. I have not prepared my system for light below the DSB (yet :p ) but I will see if they have other beneficial properties for me. The least the injection will do is to increase the diversity among my microorganisms.

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 It looks like both mine and yours badge Build Thread contributor have disappear - do you know why?

Sincerely Lasse
I have no idea. I've requested Emeritus status for awhile as I try to find a new normal in life so I'm not behind the scenes anymore but I will see what I can find.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 It looks like both mine and yours badge Build Thread contributor have disappear - do you know why?

Sincerely Lasse
I have no idea. I've requested Emeritus status for awhile as I try to find a new normal in life so I'm not behind the scenes anymore but I will see what I can find.

@Lasse and @Brew12 , they're back. Every once in a while, most of the time when a new banner is added, the build thread banner tends to disappear. It is something you can actually put back yourself. Copy your build thread link and paste it on your profile page, account details, on your account.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back