OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As usual - outstanding videos!! BTW - I meant to ask - I like the scientific name - in Sweden - do your stores use 'English' names for the fish - or are there Swedish equivalents (ie. Hippo tang), etc.
Thank you

There is a law in Sweden that every fish species should have a sign telling scientific name and price. There should also be care advises (manuals) that follow with the buy. Online stores have the scientific names - mostly in the whole Europe, Not every LFS follow the law but after the first visit from the authorities - they normal follow it (rather high fines)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an example of a register for freshwater fish a friend of mine sell to different LFS. They can print it out and leave it as leaflet to the customer

1633798817920.png

Sincerely Lasse

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

My name is Lasse Forsberg and I live in small place named Bohus – 20 kilometres north Gothenburg, Sweden. I got my first tank 1961 when I was eleven years old and lived in an inland country town 160 kilometres from Gothenburg – I had it for a couple of years but soon I become a teenager and get interested of some other living things. Back in 1974 when I move to Gothenburg together with my girlfriend I started with aquariums again. Today - the same girlfriend is my wife since 39 years ago so there has not been any reason to stop the hobbyJ. For those that is good in math – I know that 1974 is 42 years ago but here in Sweden – we like to test things for a long time before we decide us – at least the female part need timeJ. The best things with long partnership is that different project does not always need to be wife approved – only wife accepted.

My professional life has been everything that have with water, fish, water treatment, fish farming and public aquariums to do – both from a biological and technical point of view. I´m retired since 1 year ago but still working with recirculated fish farming (farming catfish) and with one of the public aquariums in Gothenburg – Sjöfartsmuseet Akvariet.

My old tank that I started 6 years ago did not work very well this summer and I was very busy during the autumn and in January I sold that aquarium (and another well working aquarium).

This movie show my Percula 120 during spring 2015 and the picture show my Red Sea Max 130.

pic0.jpg

However – I had a plan to start another tank – a tank that should be little like showcase what I have learned during my more than 40 year as an aquarist. In January this year I order an aquarium from Poland – a custom build tank with a display tank of 300 litres.

This is the first idea

pic1.jpg

This was the final order - I want it like this. I send some text and some pictures to a guy that did not speak Swedish and not so good English either (and I do not speak Polish !) I have a friend that speak Polish so if I got some question - he could help me - I hope. The delivery (pre pay) was promised to be early march. After paying - the sound of silence was my Polish aquarium builders signature tune. No questions - no contact

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

March pass by - no Aquarium - a little bit nervous. My wife looks at me with special expression in her face. (after 42 years, I know what that look means) April start - and finally I got a e-mail - delivery on Monday. The tank arrived on Tuesday (same week)

pic 4.jpg

It was perfect - it was like I wanted it.

Now - the build could start - I let the pictures talk for them selves

pic 6.jpg

pic 7.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic10.jpg

pic11.jpg

This was the technical part. Lets start with the aesthetic part of the aquarium

Left corner

pic 13.jpg

pic 15.jpg

From the right

pic12.jpg

Right corner

pic14.jpg

Hiding Chinese wavemakers - left

pic16.jpg

pic 18.jpg

pic17.jpg

Right corner

pic19.jpg

pic20.jpg

I´ll come back with the biological part

Sincerely Lasse

Amazing tank!

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an example of a register for freshwater fish a friend of mine sell to different LFS. They can print it out and leave it as leaflet to the customer

1633798817920.png

Sincerely Lasse
Cool

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back I can see that the aquarium has been working for 1 month now. With help of my small friends (hermits crabs mostly :) ) – the diatoms has leave and the greens start to establish themselves in a small scale

hermit.jpg

I did my first measurements and it shows that Mg was rather good but Calcium – a little bit low (370 ppm). Alkalinity was around 2.5 meq (app 7 KH) – also a little bit low. I always use standard salts – not the pro salts – so I will slowly take up the figures with help of Balling. Probably I will use Tritons method in the future – for the moment I use the standard Balling method.

I have not got all of the fishes I want yet – I have to found them in a store first. I have two favourites that I still not been able to catch on photo – but I see them every second day. It’s one Liopropoma swalesi and one Plectranthias inermis. As soon as possible – I try to take photos of them – but talk about shy fishes!

Meanwhile – some oldies but goodies

blenny.jpg

gobie.jpg

gobie2.jpg

And a new coral.

new.jpg

I also start my carbon dioxide scrubber today - a DIY project that I have used for a long time. Its old media but with a little bit of water - it works for a long period.

scrubber.jpg

Sincerely Lasse
What coral is this in the last picture? Ut loos awesome!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

There is a law in Sweden that every fish species should have a sign telling scientific name and price. There should also be care advises (manuals) that follow with the buy. Online stores have the scientific names - mostly in the whole Europe, Not every LFS follow the law but after the first visit from the authorities - they normal follow it (rather high fines)

Sincerely Lasse
This is pretty cool. Do they do the same with corals?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty cool. Do they do the same with corals?
No - this rules mostly appends to vertebrates. However for corals - most LFS use at least the scientific family name. Care advise can be asked for even according invertebrates

Sincerely Lasse

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

Sincerely Lasse
This law should be mirrored all around the world.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back