Lasses Dream Build

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 44 fish in 300L? How big is the total system volume? How much gfo do you use and how big is your refugium? ime chaeto (do you have other algae species?) dont remove too much phosphate and I feel like youd have to use a ton of gfo. I also saw you even had to dose nitrate and phosphate at some point which is very surprising to me. Is the rdsb effective at removing phosphate too? What about clams?

Thanks!

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Lasse , I always enjoy reading this thread, thanks for continuing to post about your experiences. Now that the system has been running for a while, would you consider writing a new thread summarizing how you would set things up from the beginning knowing what you know now? I think that would be very useful information.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 44 fish in 300L? How big is the total system volume? How much gfo do you use and how big is your refugium? ime chaeto (do you have other algae species?) dont remove too much phosphate and I feel like youd have to use a ton of gfo. I also saw you even had to dose nitrate and phosphate at some point which is very surprising to me.

Total volume is about 400 liters teoretical but excluding rock works ant similar construction - I would say around 250 - 275 litres of water. Refugium - mostly chaeto - around 30 litres. Have some red algae too. I use ratjher little GFO - Al and Fe based in a mix. Run it in a reactor (having it only in a bag without circulation is wortless IMO). I can manage he flow in the reactor - both speed and time active. If PO4 below 0.03 - the reactor works wery little. Sometimes I run both the reactor and dose PO4 because the GFO takes away som metals too and if I´m low in free PO4 - i do not want to risk a zero value - IMO - thats more dangerous than 0.1 -0.3 mg/l PO4 (or more)

Is the rdsb effective at removing phosphate too? What about clams?

Thanks!

First thought - matbe or not - but, but, but. I have observations that indicate that it will collect P in one or another form, hence lower the PO4 in the water column. At least during some conditions. If there is metals in the gravel (as Fe, Ca and so on) - it can theoretical work as weak GFO. I run the RRDSB in different modes - sometimes as anaerobic in the bottom - sometimes aerobic. I´m on my way to test what´s happen in different modes - the results just now is not wanted (indication that my thought should be the other way around :))

Clams is probably my best help when I run the system as "dirty" as I do (with dirty - I mean lots of organic particles) They work as mechanical filters with a biological tuch.

Hi @Lasse , I always enjoy reading this thread, thanks for continuing to post about your experiences. Now that the system has been running for a while, would you consider writing a new thread summarizing how you would set things up from the beginning knowing what you know now? I think that would be very useful information.

It will come - in one or another way. For the moment - I will make the comments in this thread.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 14 months since last WC. Before that it was 12 months without WC too. This is a comparision between my aquaria water and new RODI water. The bucket to the left - new, fresh RODI water - to the right - 14 month old aquaria water. My aquaria have a lot of fishes, lot of biological life - including high microbiological activities. addition of around 80 ml Jomama juice (juice from Chaeto) every night, very dry skimming (sometimes with skimmate back to the aquaria). Only agent in order to remow yellowing substances is an Oxidator A - run with around 9 % H2O2 and two catalyzts. I´m satisfied with the result

oxydator-1-year.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TRITON doc tests

Prior to this test I dosed som ethanol to my RRDSB. Still dose around 80 ml of Chaeto juice (Jomama Juice) every night.

The aquarium is working well - things grow and I´m satisfied.

190312 doc triton chart 004.PNG

With my measured PO4 level

190312 doc triton chart 006.PNG

With TRITONS calculated value

190312 doc triton chart 007.PNG

190312 doc triton chart 001.PNG

190312 doc triton chart 002.PNG

For the moment - the most important results of my DOC test have been the calculated NO3 and alkalinity levels. They show me that my own measurements is not very bad. I have a lot of organic particles in my aquaria and I can´t rule out that they will impact both N and P levels- My measured NO3 at the test moment was 1 - 2 mg/l NO3 (Red Sea Pro test) TRITON test show that it can be around 6.8 mg/l NO3 as highest. Before next test I will run my system in low nutrient mode for a week before testing

Video taken just before the water was sampled

The full ICP test attached

Sincerely Lasse

Attachments

• 190310 test ipc doc.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pictures - some older inhabitants - some newcomers

9 months old clam (in my aquarium)

clam.jpg

Been her for a week

clam1.jpg

Newcomer X 2

flower.jpg

new-.jpg

Heve starting to adapt itself and grow

coral1.jpg

Relocated after that I did not follow the golden rule - Keep Your Hands Dry :(

flower-2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 14 months since last WC. Before that it was 12 months without WC too. This is a comparision between my aquaria water and new RODI water. The bucket to the left - new, fresh RODI water - to the right - 14 month old aquaria water. My aquaria have a lot of fishes, lot of biological life - including high microbiological activities. addition of around 80 ml Jomama juice (juice from Chaeto) every night, very dry skimming (sometimes with skimmate back to the aquaria). Only agent in order to remow yellowing substances is an Oxidator A - run with around 9 % H2O2 and two catalyzts. I´m satisfied with the result

oxydator-1-year.jpg

Sincerely Lasse
If you were to collect the skimmate, I wonder if it would make a difference in water clarity.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total Nitrogen - what b stand for - no idea :) in mg/l N. Analysed with ICP Their calculated N/NO3 is based on the case that all detected N is in the form NO3. This figure will show you what the highest value of NO3 you can have

If you have measures NO3 with other methods you can fill in that. In my case 2 mg. This will give me a ratio to compare with TRITONS ratio. In this case it indicate a lot of organic N (because it could not be NH3/NH4) in my water. I supose that I have a lot of amino acids from my Jomama juice (Chaeto juice) in the water

190312 doc triton chart 008.PNG

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a PAR reading of my aquarium I use a Li-Cor LI 250-A with underwater sensor. The figurs was better than I expected. Measurements taken around 7 cm from the front window

PAR-FTS.jpg
MVH Lasse

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noe I did a PAR reading of my aquarium I use a Li-Cor LI 250-A with underwater sensor. The figurs was better than I espected. Measurements taken around 7 cm from the front window

MVH Lasse

Those are some solid PAR numbers. I'm not surprised.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bright light - Mitrax Led Bar 2 - and it is an uniform light.

Sincerely Lasse

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the GHL Mitra series of lighting.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back