Last wrasse addition - compatibility question

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm contemplating the addition of one or two final wrasse for my 75 gallon, and am wondering about compatibility with my existing melanurus (male, approx 4.5"). My dream fish would be either the Yellotwail tamarin wrasse (Anampses meleagrides) (I know they're hard to acquire but I'll wait however long needed for Dr. Reef to get one), or the Red coris wrasse (Coris gaimard).

I have a small grain deep sand bed (2+" up to 4" in the back) and since I have the habitat for sand sleepers, might as well take advantage of it if I can - my melanurus is very content, lol. Plus I've just become very fond of wrasse in general. :)

Main questions:
1. Any compatibility/potential aggression issues to consider with either of these wrasse and my melanurus? I've heard some stories of red coris getting more aggressive with maturity, but obviously there are always outliers to the norm for fish. A reefer in another group has an adult one and she said he's a model citizen. I don't know anyone who has a yellowtail tamarin, so no idea there. My mel is extremely docile and gets along with everyone in the tank, but he's the lone wrasse right now.

2. Would it be safer to avoid any more sand sleepers and go with a fairy or flasher wrasse instead? I am also drawn to the Orangeback fairy wrasse and would consider that as the alternative if the other two would not a good idea. I don't want to upset the peace in the tank - no issues currently with any inhabitants.

@i cant think

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have no experience with the tamarin, but I kept a red corris and mel together for years with 0 issues. I rehomed the red as it got extremely aggressive as it transitioned.

I see you already tagged @i cant think , but might want to tag @SaltyT or @Labridaedicted for some help too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@icantthink
Have no experience with the tamarin, but I kept a red corris and mel together for years with 0 issues. I rehomed the red as it got extremely aggressive as it transitioned.

I see you already tagged @i cant think , but might want to tag @SaltyT or @Labridaedicted for some help too.
Good to know! That's what I worry about - having one get an attitude after transitioning. My mel is a terminal male I'm pretty sure.
Thanks for tagging the others. For the life of me I couldn't remember who the other resident wrasse experts were. :)

Upvote 0

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly you have opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of hardiness and temperament with those 2 options. I could see a Melanurus potentially being a bit of a bully to both depending on the length of time you've had it in there, but a tamarin will almost assuredly not tolerate any of that.

Another thing worth noting is coris wrasses are going to be even more likely than the melanurus to go after inverts like hermits, snails, and shrimp. If it were me, I'd lean more to Flasher or Fairy Wrasse as the difference in body shape is less likely to cause aggression.

Just my $0.02 and as always, YMMV.

Upvote 0

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this was in my old 300g so there was more space and more fish present.....I had a melanurus with a red tail tamarin and a china wrasse with no issues at all.

Tamarins are usually pretty chill, so mostly depends on the temperament of the melanurus you have now.

Worst case get an acclimation box and see what happens. Or tape a pic of a tamarin on the tank and see if he cares.

While I agree with the advice above, I also realize if thats what you want, youre probably going to get it anyway.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm contemplating the addition of one or two final wrasse for my 75 gallon, and am wondering about compatibility with my existing melanurus (male, approx 4.5"). My dream fish would be either the Yellotwail tamarin wrasse (Anampses meleagrides) (I know they're hard to acquire but I'll wait however long needed for Dr. Reef to get one), or the Red coris wrasse (Coris gaimard).

I have a small grain deep sand bed (2+" up to 4" in the back) and since I have the habitat for sand sleepers, might as well take advantage of it if I can - my melanurus is very content, lol. Plus I've just become very fond of wrasse in general. :)

Main questions:
1. Any compatibility/potential aggression issues to consider with either of these wrasse and my melanurus? I've heard some stories of red coris getting more aggressive with maturity, but obviously there are always outliers to the norm for fish. A reefer in another group has an adult one and she said he's a model citizen. I don't know anyone who has a yellowtail tamarin, so no idea there. My mel is extremely docile and gets along with everyone in the tank, but he's the lone wrasse right now.

2. Would it be safer to avoid any more sand sleepers and go with a fairy or flasher wrasse instead? I am also drawn to the Orangeback fairy wrasse and would consider that as the alternative if the other two would not a good idea. I don't want to upset the peace in the tank - no issues currently with any inhabitants.

@i cant think
If you can, an acclimation box is your best friend in this situation. I’d personally also lean for a flasher/fairy. However, I find body shape doesn’t actually affect the way wrasses interact with eachother and instead it’s more to do with where they hang out. If my Jade is ever in the way of my Iridis then the Jade will move away from the Iridis. The same situation occurs if it’s my flasher or fairies. Body shape doesn’t affect them much at all. Alright, wrasses all have different personalities and each fish has its own personality but I have been more successful in mixing species that are closer in body shape than I have that are different in body shape. This was also true in my time in the LFS.

In terms of your wrasses, I would lean into the Fairies as Melanurus can be relatively boisterous to other sand sleepers if added first. However they tend to ignore the rock dwellers.

Upvote 0

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add neither of your choices. The Red Coris, Coris gaimard is not practical for your 75 gal tank. It just will get too big and too aggressive. The yellow tail tamarin, Anampses meleagrides, is just too delicate to get establish without worrying about the Melanurus bother her. If you want to add the tamarine, you got to add them first, then any other wrasse.

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 106 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back