Leak question

Mr.Guy83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off happy holidays to everyone,
I finally got water in the 170 today and noticed an slight water accumulation in this area. I’ve wrapped this bad boy 3 different times added and removed rubber ring all options have still created a little leak. Any other options ?
Thanks

63850BF2-BE04-4D71-9CE4-425C99837297.jpeg 18BC0EB0-A1FD-4059-8AA0-243CC71914CD.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seems like there was a Red Sea tank issue that @AZMSGT was able to help with in the past. Let’s see if he will be able to chime in with ideas...

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’re using the 3/4” threaded adapter. I’m not keen on that method as you have to wrap the threads with teflon tape. Allot of tape, 7 to 10 times. It’s not a great fit.

Probably not the answer you want to hear. You can wrap more tape on that fitting, Or there is another fitting you can get and get a great seal.

Take a look at this article for more info

OP
OP
Mr.Guy83

Mr.Guy83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’re using the 3/4” threaded adapter. I’m not keen on that method as you have to wrap the threads with teflon tape. Allot of tape, 7 to 10 times. It’s not a great fit.

Probably not the answer you want to hear. You can wrap more tape on that fitting, Or there is another fitting you can get and get a great seal.

Thank you

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to change the plumbing around, I'd suggest the use of PTFE plumbers paste rather than teflon tape for any and all threaded connections. FWIW - although teflon tape can work, it is not really intended for threaded PVC while the PTFE paste is.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, when you think you have enough tape on, double the amount. I had the same issue with my RS tanks. But with enough tape, it should stop the leak.

OP
OP
Mr.Guy83

Mr.Guy83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to change the plumbing around, I'd suggest the use of PTFE plumbers paste rather than teflon tape for any and all threaded connections. FWIW - although teflon tape can work, it is not really intended for threaded PVC while the PTFE paste is.
Is it reef safe ? And how long would I have to wait before I can run water through it?
Thanks @Billdogg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with this application is it’s a metric thread that the OP is trying to screw a US adapter into. T-3 thread sealant isn’t going to close the gap between the two surfaces. This is why tape is the best method used. If a person is going to use this method.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back