Leathers wont extend.

Terry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have two leather corals and i cant seem to get them to extend their polyps. I have put them at different levels in the tank, and my water quality checks out. I have many other corals and they are doing wonderfully, just the 2 leathers that seem unhappy. I have attached pictures of each and as of now i have one placed on the sand bed and the other at about midway in the tank Any ideas or advice?
Thanks in advance and happy reefing,
Terry C.

20191016_092403.jpg 20191016_092351.jpg

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave them be and not move them anymore. Leathers can be very temperamental. They can look perfect one minute and withdraw their polyps the next. My leather has been known to close up for a month or two at a time. Then it will appear shiny, shed its skin, and open up (maybe for a day, or maybe for a few months).

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 , sarcophytons go through a period of shedding every so often, sometimes I like to direct a lil more flow their way when they do.
Sarcos LOVE flow!

OP
OP
Terry C

Terry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 , sarcophytons go through a period of shedding every so often, sometimes I like to direct a lil more flow their way when they do.
Sarcos LOVE flow!
Thanks ill give that a try

OP
OP
Terry C

Terry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave them be and not move them anymore. Leathers can be very temperamental. They can look perfect one minute and withdraw their polyps the next. My leather has been known to close up for a month or two at a time. Then it will appear shiny, shed its skin, and open up (maybe for a day, or maybe for a few months).
Thanks

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the consensus of just leave them be for a while.
I have a tank full of various leathers and at any time one would retract it's polyps while all the rest are happy as can be. Sometimes one will go as far as secrete it's waxy looking slime coat, then expel it. They can even coat themselves in their slime coat with their polyps extended! They look like they're wrapped in cellophane when they do.
Just be sure that corals nearby are not annoyed by the slime when it is expelled. It's not too bad, but some corals get upset from the slime touching them.

Btw:
From what we can see, your tank looks Really impressive. Lots of various life and major purple coraline algae.
Your first pic looks like it could be from as shallow ocean floor. Very nice indeed!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry C

Terry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the consensus of just leave them be for a while.
I have a tank full of various leathers and at any time one would retract it's polyps while all the rest are happy as can be. Sometimes one will go as far as secrete it's waxy looking slime coat, then expel it. They can even coat themselves in their slime coat with their polyps extended! They look like they're wrapped in cellophane when they do.
Just be sure that corals nearby are not annoyed by the slime when it is expelled. It's not too bad, but some corals get upset from the slime touching them.

Btw:
From what we can see, your tank looks Really impressive. Lots of various life and major purple coraline algae.
Your first pic looks like it could be from as shallow ocean floor. Very nice indeed!
Mine wil lool like a pin cusion sometimes but will not extend out. Think ill take yours and the others advice and leave them be for now.

Thanks so much for your kind words it means alot as i have put alot of work into it.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all the others. Moderate flow helps. They don't like being messed with the more you handle the more upset they get

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back