LED DIY Poll

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Wasn't sure whether to post this in LED or DIY area, but I was wanted to get an idea of who was using optics on their DIY LED builds. I had 60 degree optics on mine for for a couple months, but recently removed them. In my canopy I couldn't get my LED bars high enough to stop spotlighting. also I have blue bar white bar blue bar white bar front to back in my build using 1'' aluminum square tubes as heat sinks so i got a color variations from front to back. I am not sure how removing the optics changed my PAR readings, but the tank sure looks better without them. Which reminds me...if anyone in the Birmingham, AL area has a PAR meter I could borrow/rent hit me up and I can do a comparison. I was contemplating buying 90 degree optics, but wont do that unless I get par reading to show its worthwhile.
Thanks,
Tyler

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chameleon

Quality optics will double your PAR and reduce the light spill on the glass. The caveat is you have to have the flexibility to raise your fixture to eliminate spotlighting. Inside 6-8 inches most skip the optics depending on the fixture size and tank width.

Here is a link to one of our older XR-E DIY builds with optics testing. This will give you a rough idea on the PAR difference with and without optics.

Optics Evaluation « « ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting

uxdesigner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, if you do not have the flexibility to raise your fixture (Ex: stock hood) you will experience spotlighting to a degree. I've used 80 degree and managed to get minimal spotlighting.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back