LED light options

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by AlexChef, Dec 28, 2017.

1. AlexChef

AlexChef Member

I have a 55 gal Long Tank which I’m currently running 2 arctic t-247s on however I’m giving one to my refuge And one to my fathers regfuge so I’m looking at lights, ideally I would go wih a 48” Kessil but I’m looking to spend more around 400$ I was looking at the Current IC pro dual but was also wondering what everyone else’s uses, this is my first true reef tank and I don’t have much knowledge on lighting, ideally I’d like to keep lPS and SPS. Thanks for the suggestions!

2. mtraylor

mtraylor Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I use GHL Mitras. They are however more expensive than your allocated budget.

3. Scott Jeffries

Scott Jeffries Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I had a current marine pro, smaller model and not the duel, it's a nice light and i like how programmable it is. my only complaint was that it doesn't work very well on deep tanks the PAR readings towards the bottom aren't very high. That fixture would probably work well with LPS and softies though.

4. McMullen

McMullen Valuable Member

I use WellPar 165 watt for my SPS tank, but they are way under your budget. :D

5. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

We have 3 aquaillumination hydras over our 245 gallon reef at work. Don't like them at all. We spent 1800.00 on them, they suffered breakdowns (power supply failures) after only a year or so of use. I contacted the company, and hoped they would send new power supplies. they would not. I asked them why my $80.00 chinese black box led fixture on another tank was out performing their 600.00 lights, and they had no answer. I just cannot get a look that im happy with using led. After new years we are switching to an ati t5 fixture. This is just my experience. Good luck with your decision.

6. Myk

Myk Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com Platinum Sponsor

You would likely get a better light for your budget by going with T5 instead. I know that's not what you are looking for, but it is worth taking a look at.

skiergd011013 likes this.
  7. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

This x1000

8. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

SBreeflight. Bbs

You could even use a couple of the 48in S bars and stay inside the budget.

I belive they give 400 par at 12in.

9. TangingOut

TangingOut Active Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I would keep the arctic t-247s over your tank and get different lights for your refugium. The arctics will be better than the current IC pro.

Draft saved Draft deleted