LED / T5 Hybrid

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon tank (48x24x24) with an Aquatic Life T5 hybrid fixture with four T5 bulbs… looking to go full-on SPS. The tank is essentially a peninsula and the rocks are in the center.

I’m considering a number of different options for the main light source… including the AI blade fixture. Would 2x glow lights work with the T5 hybrid?

Additionally I’m curious to hear how you’d light a tank like this. Thanks in advance

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture(s) are worth thousand words, so I included Mobius screenshot of Radeon XR15 and AI Blade Grow LED. More is not always better, but I think in case of Reef LEDs it is. First light is Radeon, second Blade.Ignore light intensities, but clearly Radeon has got over 2x broader spectrum than Blade.
IMG_4067.jpg

IMG_4068.jpg

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve got 5 blades on my peninsula now. Video in my build thread. I can confidently say they aren’t missing anything. About to hit the 6 month mark running them and everything is doing awesome with all colors accounted for.

IMG_0027.jpeg
IMG_0022.jpeg
IMG_0020.jpeg
IMG_0010.jpeg
IMG_0006.jpeg

Some of the pics pick up an orange or yellow hue from the filter over my lens. It is a very nice white with blue in person. Not windex in any way.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option I'll toss out is a reefbreeders photon 48 and the hybrid will sit right on top of the photon. I'm running that set up but using a photon 32 on a 36x22x22 tank. I posted some pics in this thread post #17 if you want to see how it looks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies all
I’m not opposed to a reef breeders light either. Luckily I have time to make a decision and put aside extra money lol.

I’m pretty open for lighting options and am considering two radion xr30 gen5s, ai blades, GHL mitras, or even metal halide pendants. I am pretty set on using T5s with the LEDs though.

The tank is currently a FOWLR but that’s slowly changing to an SPS reef. Before it was a FOWLR I had an ATI power module that of course worked well.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies all
I’m not opposed to a reef breeders light either. Luckily I have time to make a decision and put aside extra money lol.

I’m pretty open for lighting options and am considering two radion xr30 gen5s, ai blades, GHL mitras, or even metal halide pendants. I am pretty set on using T5s with the LEDs though.

The tank is currently a FOWLR but that’s slowly changing to an SPS reef. Before it was a FOWLR I had an ATI power module that of course worked well.
your best option is either the reeffi uno2.0 (better version of a radion), or quanta pro bars (better version of orphek and reef breeders bar)

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 120 gallon tank (48x24x24) with an Aquatic Life T5 hybrid fixture with four T5 bulbs… looking to go full-on SPS. The tank is essentially a peninsula and the rocks are in the center.

I’m considering a number of different options for the main light source… including the AI blade fixture. Would 2x glow lights work with the T5 hybrid?

Additionally I’m curious to hear how you’d light a tank like this. Thanks in advance

I have that fixture with four Hydra 32 HDs. You can see pics of the fixture in my build thread.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your best option is either the reeffi uno2.0 (better version of a radion), or quanta pro bars (better version of orphek and reef breeders bar)
Thanks for the suggestion. However I’m looking to keep with a more main stream company. Those lights look good but I’m concerned bc it’s only one person running and building them.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I run the aquatic life hybrid t5 fixture with Radion G5 blues on some tanks and G6 blues on others. And just bought another t5 hybrid fixture. As the corals just love the setup. For a fill light… I just couldn’t justify the cost of the AI blades over T5. You can find Radion XR30s used for $500 typically. I’m running just those on a newer setup sps tank. Growth and colors are excellent. I was surprised how fast my tester frags encrusted.

IMG_3523.jpeg IMG_3522.jpeg

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best tank I ever set up was with a 60”- 6 bulb ATI sun power on my sps dominate 120g tank. Photo attached. Highly recommend it because the reflectors are very good. I got the Best color and growth on this set up. Don’t get me wrong I’m a die hard kessil guy and have had great success with kessil only set ups but T5’s takes the crown. Downfall with T5’s is having to replace bulbs on time because their par goes down and you’ll light shock the corals if you wait too long before swapping in new bulbs. I personally never say any noticeable difference in the corals by adding LED’s to my T5 fixture.

My next tank I’m probably gonna do a T5/LED hybrid but lean more towards the T5 side and use kessils to get the flickering affect that you won’t get with T5’s. Play around with scheduling for a nice ramp up/down curve.

Attachments

• IMG_0463_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0463_Original.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 61

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120, I run three XR15’s(G5 blues on the outside with a G4 Pro in the center) and two quanta pro Meso blues. Run everything at 100% is more than enough for SPS.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This may vary as everyone has a favorite light and light that meets their budget. Ive seen tanks with China lights that produce the same results as radion and Orphek. 40 years ago we used fluorescent tubes that offered Great results.

Ive used Ai Prime, hydras, radion and many early LED lights and they all produce some level of sustainability for coral.
I as many know Run Orpheks and Love them.
Other good lights are RB Photon and noopsyche brands

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion. However I’m looking to keep with a more main stream company. Those lights look good but I’m concerned bc it’s only one person running and building them.
Ok thats understandable, just know that they all come from china lol. If you ever reconsider you can watch some videos on youtube that show them working great. The build quality is the same or better.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 orphek bars, 4 t5, and Reefi LEDs in my SPS tank.

For acropora, I would pair your T5 with Radion or Reefi LEDs.

SaltyTwigs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Radion Blue G6 Xr15 and 2 48 inch Blade Grow over a similar size footprint. Run at 70% for all the lights and they are hanging about 9 inches off the water. About 9 inches underwater get about 350-380 PAR pretty evenly across the footprint. About 15 inches down about 200 - 250.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best tank I ever set up was with a 60”- 6 bulb ATI sun power on my sps dominate 120g tank. Photo attached. Highly recommend it because the reflectors are very good. I got the Best color and growth on this set up. Don’t get me wrong I’m a die hard kessil guy and have had great success with kessil only set ups but T5’s takes the crown. Downfall with T5’s is having to replace bulbs on time because their par goes down and you’ll light shock the corals if you wait too long before swapping in new bulbs. I personally never say any noticeable difference in the corals by adding LED’s to my T5 fixture.

My next tank I’m probably gonna do a T5/LED hybrid but lean more towards the T5 side and use kessils to get the flickering affect that you won’t get with T5’s. Play around with scheduling for a nice ramp up/down curve.
Based on your experiences, how often the T5 will need to be replaced?
I just setup a 4X T5 hybrid with 3X XR15 and running the T5 for 6 hours.
Thank you

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a t5 hybrid for my new build.
I will run 5 xr15 blues.
This will be on a im 170 59x30x20 with the rockwork in the middle.
I ran 4 xr15's ony 80 48x24x16.
All my 15's were purchased used which ='s <$.
I ran 1hr up/down with 10hrs peak on the ab+ program.
I will run the T5's for 8hrs.
Currently working on the fixture.
20231106_115127.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back