LEDS for a standard 55 gallon

MissLed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of researcing for a new light system for my 55 gallon tank, measurement 48"x13"x20". It currently has a Coralife 4 65 watt compact fluorescent light that seems to be on it's way out. This is the second fixture of the same type that has been on this tank and unfortunately the warranty has passed . I have been reading about LEDS and how much better they are at growing corals, cost of running and how they don't heat tanks up. I plan on keeping a mixed reef tank containing SPS, LPS, a clam and possibly a BTA. I've been looking at getting PAR38 and Evolution LED systems. I'm not sure as to which one would be a better fit for this style tank as it's narrow. I'm really digging the 20k looks of these systems as they really make the colors pop. FWIW, I really suck at electrical DIY so I'm going to avoid even attempting that whole venture :baffle:.

OP
OP
MissLed

MissLed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the helpful advice. So nice to actually get a suggestion as to how many I would need and not get chided for having such a small and narrow tank.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also try using just one fixture and mounting it up high over your tank. Maybe like 12"-14" above the top. It might give you enough light to cover most of the tank but the par at the sandbed would probably be really low and the far sides would be darker than the middle.

OP
OP
MissLed

MissLed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also try using just one fixture and mounting it up high over your tank. Maybe like 12"-14" above the top. It might give you enough light to cover most of the tank but the par at the sandbed would probably be really low and the far sides would be darker than the middle.

In that case having lower light corals on the darker sides and on the sandbed would be ok am I correct in this thinking? I did get some cinnamon polyps and 2 mushrooms the other day. They seem to be doing ok with my 130 watts of pc, but not as nice as they were when I purchased them.

firefightered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could go with Reefbrite fixtures. You could probably get away with using 1 48" strip. I put a 36" strip on my 46gal bowfront and in 3 weeks have seen a huge diff. in my tank. My corals are popping with color and growing fast. I have softies and a few sps. My LFS keeps everything under LEDs. Even though I didn't need to I retro fitted 1 t-5 on both sides of the LEDs. just to take some of the blue out. I bought the 50/50 version. Reefbrite makes a really good light and I would recommend them to anyone. Google Reefbrite and look at the reviews, I did and am VERY saticfied!!!!! Just my $.02

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back