Length of time a Tang can be in Sump

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to some aggression in my tank I am in need of rehoming a Scopas Tang. Huge bummer as it's a beautiful fish. I currently have the scopas in the empty refugium section of my sump where it can also enter into the skimmer section (skimmer is off) and uses the skimmer to hide behind. The tang is 3-4 inches long and seems to not be overly stressed as it is eating nori and looks calm. I only have the return pump running so there isn't a lot of noise running through the sump.

Life is crazy with the schedule of three kids and the earliest convenient time to bring him to my LFS is Friday (4 days from now). Am I good to keep it safely in there until then if it isn't showing signs of stress and is eating?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to some aggression in my tank I am in need of rehoming a Scopas Tang. Huge bummer as it's a beautiful fish. I currently have the scopas in the empty refugium section of my sump where it can also enter into the skimmer section (skimmer is off) and uses the skimmer to hide behind. The tang is 3-4 inches long and seems to not be overly stressed as it is eating nori and looks calm. I only have the return pump running so there isn't a lot of noise running through the sump.

Life is crazy with the schedule of three kids and the earliest convenient time to bring him to my LFS is Friday (4 days from now). Am I good to keep it safely in there until then if it isn't showing signs of stress and is eating?
Probably good in there until the after Christmas sales start!

SaltEpidemic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep an eye on him, like daily. I had to put one in my sump a couple days and he didn't do well at all. Stayed hidden and deteriorated. By the time I pulled him out he looked beat up. I know it wasn't ick or anything because he'd never been exposed, or if he had then it happened prior to him coming from the ocean at 1" in size. He healed up literally in a day or two after coming out, so he was beating himself up against the sump walls and rock I put in there for him to hide.

It was an atlantic blue, his colors also changed from a solid yelled with blue rim to a striped look, didn't look good. So just keep that eye out is my suggestion.

Attachments

• 89797 (1).jpeg
    89797 (1).jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 83

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep an eye on him, like daily. I had to put one in my sump a couple days and he didn't do well at all. Stayed hidden and deteriorated. By the time I pulled him out he looked beat up. I know it wasn't ick or anything because he'd never been exposed, or if he had then it happened prior to him coming from the ocean at 1" in size. He healed up literally in a day or two after coming out, so he was beating himself up against the sump walls and rock I put in there for him to hide.

It was an atlantic blue, his colors also changed from a solid yelled with blue rim to a striped look, didn't look good. So just keep that eye out is my suggestion.
That’s one clean sump.

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what the exact aggression issues were and if you’ve tried and exhausted all the usual remedies

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back