Leopard Wrasse Question

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to have some the wrasse experts on here weigh in on a question that I had regarding leopard wrasse behavior:

Do leopard females establish a hierarchy and perhaps even stress the other females into the sand?

I brought home a trio of female leopards yesterday and all 3 were out eating. One took a little time to acclimate as she stayed on the sand for 30 minutes or so. All 3 ate frozen mysis and one went to the sand early (5 pm). The others went to sleep when the lights turned off in the fish room at 9.

Only 2 emerged today and the smaller of the two went to the sand at 4 pm. Only thing I can think of is that the larger female is being too aggressive to the other two. Could also just be normal acclimation behavior. But I thought I’d see if anyone has thoughts on this?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally female Meleagris Leopards are not aggressive toward each other. Mine sleep near each other. My tank is a 320, 6'X3' of sand surface and they always sleep in group in an area less than 6"X6". Male would go after the females, but courting, not fight or bite. Leopard of various species can chase other leopards, especially newly added ones.
So far I hav enot have problem with this. I have Meleagris and Black Leopard (M. negrosensis) in my tank.
Leopard2016090501.jpg

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how it goes and any suggestions. I'd like to get a bonded pair.
Yeah, I’ve had to learn the hard way that leopards don’t ship well. I’d recommend finding some at an LFS if possible. See if they can hold for a few days to a week. They won’t always do it but occasionally one will. I had mine bagged with sand in the bags to avoid them trying to dive down a break their beaks during the drive home. I had an hour drive so this might’ve been overkill.

I qt with sand and treat with prazipro to deworm. Go slow with the dosage. If you want to do copper, use CopperPower.

I mix up food throughout the day to get them fattened up. I mixed up live worms, frozen mysis, roe and Rod’s food.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very rewarding wrasse. I don't treat or de-worm them. I just get them fatten up in my QT system. One of mine have since change sex.
MeleagrisLeopard2020040501B.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020090504Male.jpg

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally female Meleagris Leopards are not aggressive toward each other. Mine sleep near each other. My tank is a 320, 6'X3' of sand surface and they always sleep in group in an area less than 6"X6". Male would go after the females, but courting, not fight or bite. Leopard of various species can chase other leopards, especially newly added ones.
So far I hav enot have problem with this. I have Meleagris and Black Leopard (M. negrosensis) in my tank.
Leopard2016090501.jpg
Oh ok. Thanks for that. Figured it’s just acclimation then. They aren’t super aggressive toward one another but the big one occasionally makes a move to the others to let them know who’s boss.

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So good news (knocks on wood). All 3 of the Meleagris Leopards were confirmed alive. I ended up moving the largest of the 3 to another QT to verify if a larger ornate leopard I purchased would get along. Interestingly, it seems to like the Meleagris and they are now swimming together.

I included a video of all the wrasses as well as another update from the fish room.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back