Let Me ID Your Wrasse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a terminal male pseudojuloides splendens. So hopefully she would change because that would be amazing. I never knew wrasses can get this beautiful, it's crazy. I wonder how much its value is lol.

dry ace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scared to even ask.
58234a34671aec2eb147402fb9cada85.jpg
4dc0643328f7d6e7dce8112da5db8795.jpg
3ac065f25a78f4ce1aa0d99f44896553.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is likely a P. lineopunctatus wrasse, Linespot flasher. They have filamentous dorsal fin and rounded caudal fin. Hard to tell if this wrasse have filamentous dorsal fin.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is likely a P. lineopunctatus wrasse, Linespot flasher. They have filamentous dorsal fin and rounded caudal fin. Hard to tell if this wrasse have filamentous dorsal fin.

That seems right. The physical structure of the fish matches, he’s just a ton darker than the images, shading very close to purple vs the red/orange I see. Is that normal for the species?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture coloration is right. Second picture exposure make it hard to see. Coloration of Flasher wrasse are so different according to mood and health. Linespot is identical to the Blue Flasher except Blue Flasher have lunate shape caudal fin with trailers.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7FFA817A-67CE-4C9E-8071-0CD5A3C16DD2.jpeg
The first picture coloration is right. Coloration of Flasher wrasse are so different according to mood and health. Linespot is identical to the Blue Flasher except Blue Flasher have lunate shape caudal fin with trailers.

I’m finding that out. He color shifts like crazy. But he tends to default to a dusty purple with a red belly.

Thanks for the help. Just wanted to make sure I knew exactly what I had since the lfs wasn’t sure. The other one I got is a bit more obvious:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7FFA817A-67CE-4C9E-8071-0CD5A3C16DD2.jpeg

I’m finding that out. He color shifts like crazy. But he tends to default to a dusty purple with a red belly.

Thanks for the help. Just wanted to make sure I knew exactly what I had since the lfs wasn’t sure. The other one I got is a bit more obvious:
Looks like a flavianalis to me...

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the dorsal filaments are red, then he is a flavianalis. The first and last pictures does not seem to be of the same fish.

Last edited:

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I said “The second one I got was more obvious” and was referencing the second fish I acquired

Could have worded that more clearly, didn’t mean to confuse anyone. I was certain I’d purchased a Carpenters (2nd fish) but wasn’t as certain on the first fish as to what I’d gotten, due to its purple coloration.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @eatbreakfast are you familiar with the pseudocoris bleekeri? I explained earlier in this thread about the fish I got from the lfs I work at. I have a juvenile/female, how likely is it for this species to turn terminal male? I also have a pseudojuloides splendens whos a terminal male in there if that helps.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am clear. I was trying to meshed that first picture with the third picture and cannot. Get a mirror and tape it the the side of the tank, either side or back. A reasonably healthy fish will flashed at himself and you can snap a picture. With fins extended and in full coloration, it is very easy to ID.
Now knowing that the first and third pictures are not of the same fish, the anal find is a lot more yellow to me in the last picture. Wrongly consider the red anal fin in the first picture kinda eliminated Flavinanalis from my list.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @eatbreakfast are you familiar with the pseudocoris bleekeri? I explained earlier about the fish I got from the lfs I work at. I have a juvenile/female, how likely is it for this species to turn terminal male? I also have a pseudojuloides splendens whos a terminal male in there if that helps.
Pseudocoris in general don't do great in captivity. I've kept a male P. bleekeri in a 10ft tank, but it came in as a male. I've never had a Pseudocoris transition in captivity, but I've also only had experience with a handful of specimens.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudocoris in general don't do great in captivity. I've kept a male P. bleekeri in a 10ft tank, but it came in as a male. I've never had a Pseudocoris transition in captivity, but I've also only had experience with a handful of specimens.
Alright thank you! She's in qt as of now. She's pretty hardy as my lfs has kept her for 2 years with only being fed once daily. Eats like a pig though, I am feeding her 5-10 times a day. I will make a thread about this fish and keep updating on it if it were to transition.

Also just curious, what's the estimate value on this guy? It could have been gone for $10 at my store lol.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thank you! She's in qt as of now. She's pretty hardy as my lfs has kept her for 2 years with only being fed once daily. Eats like a pig though, I am feeding her 5-10 times a day. I will make a thread about this fish and keep updating on it if it were to transition.

Also just curious, what's the estimate value on this guy? It could have been gone for $10 at my store lol.
$10-30 for females, males significantly more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back