Let's see those Deep Sand Beds

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always see "Let's see those..." posts, but never one for the shunned Deep Sand Bed. As such, let's see them ;Nailbiting

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will BUMP this for you but the reason that you haven't get any responses is that many hobbyist are not using one anymore.
Yet, you would say there should be a few still be around.

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will BUMP this for you but the reason that you haven't get any responses is that many hobbyist are not using one anymore.
Yet, you would say there should be a few still be around.

I was thinking I might be one of the last few. Oh well, it was worth a shot

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct 4" or more is considered and only applies for a DSB.

Shallow sand bed as most ppl have is the safest way to go.
Still get a good bacteria population going and snails still can hide.
We talking here at least 1"
And foremost it will give your display a more natural look.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m using modified DSB and rather many use DSB in Europe and all around the world. I do not know if it is few in the US that use it – but that does not matter for me – the method is well working and there is possibilities to develop the method.

Why can´t you see any pictures – probably because it is very difficult to take a picture of a DSB ……. Normally – you can only take a picture of the surface sand – and it is not saying anything.

However – I construct my DSB in a way that it should be possible to see at last a part of it – see the picture. For the construction see my thread

dsb-1.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m using modified DSB and rather many use DSB in Europe and all around the world. I do not know if it is few in the US that use it – but that does not matter for me – the method is well working and there is possibilities to develop the method.

Why can´t you see any pictures – probably because it is very difficult to take a picture of a DSB ……. Normally – you can only take a picture of the surface sand – and it is not saying anything.

However – I construct my DSB in a way that it should be possible to see at last a part of it – see the picture. For the construction see my thread
Sincerely Lasse

To your thread I go, that looks interesting. Thanks for sharing

Edit: Lasse I love your build and even though it won't be practical for me to implement it due to my live stock choice, I did get some great ideas for my next tank

Last edited:

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35789235093_1c159da5db_m.jpg

35789230193_f891aa2f49_c.jpg

36202246540_634bc2d159_c.jpg

36460805801_e14a7e8afa_c.jpg

This is my drain tank 6in dsb crushed shell on the bottom with almost silt fine sand on top.

35763126354_42d6417bbf_m.jpg

35763110234_a0cf641bc4_m.jpg

This one is almost 4in but it is silt and sand so it compacts alot more than crushed shell or sugar sand. I consider this one a dsb because of the size of the substrate.

I hope these work let me know if they don't please.

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chris85 nice and thanks for sharing. I'm seeing a ton of growth in it too
Thanks but don't tell anyone I use natural unfiltered seawater. My tank is going to crash any day now!!!lol I will try to get better pics. of the sand bed life.

Last edited:

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is gulf of Mexico sand straight out the ocean. From my shovel to the bucket to the tank. I add a hand full every few weeks. Just to keep the diversity up.

I also get live food for my fish and corals every week and every now and then I collect and throw a bunch of bugs in. ( pods and worms and stuff)

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is gulf of Mexico sand straight out the ocean. From my shovel to the bucket to the tank. I add a hand full every few weeks. Just to keep the diversity up.

I also get live food for my fish and corals every week and every now and then I collect and throw a bunch of bugs in. ( pods and worms and stuff)
gotcha. From water to sand, you run your whole tank straight from the ocean...nice approach

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly I still use artificial salt when the salinity is low or when it rains a lot. I really just dose seawater now I was having trouble with bacteria blooms from changing to much at once. I would have a big die off a few days after I changed it with nsw. If I didn't change egnough every couple days. Anyway getting off track I actually have four dsb's to test substrate. I think I found a mix I like and will be changing my reef tank over to something simmilar to Paul b's and lasse's reverse under gravel filter.

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not all I get from the ocean. Dont forget about the critters too!!

dirtdobber06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171223_080605.jpg

If anyone is still looking at this.....my sand has been in for a couple of years. Got cyano problem right now and I am being advised to slowly remove the sand. I have added a 2nd gyre and the situation shown here has improved but hasn't gone away. Triton method did not yield good results on my tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back