Let's See Those Wacky DIY Tools That You Can't Live Without!

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@techdef power brick organizer

9C891811-41E8-4E33-B8BC-E5F6F9870A14.jpeg

I love it! Here is my version of a DIY brick or "Wall Wart" organizer out of clear acrylic and nylon thumb screws. I also removed a single plug and hard wired (4) dongles into a power strip to isolate my stand lights to one plug saving three plugs for future use.

IMG_6300.JPG IMG_6301.JPG

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love it! Here is my version of a DIY brick or "Wall Wart" organizer out of clear acrylic and nylon thumb screws. I also removed a single plug and hard wired (4) dongles into a power strip to isolate my stand lights to one plug saving three plugs for future use.

IMG_6300.JPG IMG_6301.JPG
Nice work!

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another wacky DIY tool I made/put together (for my new in progress build) to move my ATI Powermodules out of the way as I was tired of hitting my elbows, head, etc on my current tank lighting. It's a DIY Bluetooth controlled light lifter system. I used some pulleys, DC winch motors and 80/20 aluminum.

IMG_6355.JPG

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is another wacky DIY tool I made/put together (for my new in progress build) to move my ATI Powermodules out of the way as I was tired of hitting my elbows, head, etc on my current tank lighting. It's a DIY Bluetooth controlled light lifter system. I used some pulleys, DC winch motors and 80/20 aluminum.

IMG_6355.JPG
Awesomeness! I made a lift system for my build too, but it didn't go into the ceiling.

Check it out:

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6355.JPG
Nice clean setup. Attic spaces can get quite hot. Is there any worry about an overheated Power Modules burning up and possibly catching fire? Do you have a smoke detector in the attic near the unit? Power supplies do occasionally fry.

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clean setup. Attic spaces can get quite hot. Is there any worry about an overheated Power Modules burning up and possibly catching fire? Do you have a smoke detector in the attic near the unit? Power supplies do occasionally fry.
Thank you. I have thought about that as I will have a squirrel cage fan setup on a timer (when the lights are on) that will blow across them. It is not implemented yet though as I am a month or so away of getting water in the tank and I need to figure out how to not blow insulation everywhere, lol. I will definitely look into adding a smoke detector. Thanks for the heads up on that!

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. I have thought about that as I will have a squirrel cage fan setup on a timer (when the lights are on) that will blow across them. It is not implemented yet though as I am a month or so away of getting water in the tank and I need to figure out how to not blow insulation everywhere, lol. I will definitely look into adding a smoke detector. Thanks for the heads up on that!
You could redo the insulation with faced batt.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just made something similar for the apogee. It compressikk on. Fits into a ridged airline tube:
ParMeterHolderImg01.png

Link to the bucket filter sock holder if you’re too busy to make it yourself!

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Something to think about.
GI-1164583398_Electric-short-circuit-failure-fire_2400x1600.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6355.JPG
How long did it take you to put all of that together? that's a really good idea

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just made something similar for the apogee. It compressikk on. Fits into a ridged airline tube:
ParMeterHolderImg01.png

Link to the bucket filter sock holder if you’re too busy to make it yourself!
where has that sock holder been all my life!!! I am working on another bucket filter now but went square bucket cause I didn't have that sock holder!!! Also still waiting on the 4in sock holder for rimmed tanks!

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back