Lets stock my tank!

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is ready for fish! I now need to come up with a stock list so I can order it in. I have some ideas but need some help. This will be a mixed reef leaning towards SPS.

Here is the tank:
20171201_181916 by Elder1945, on Flickr
Build thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sponsored-project-reef-by-elder1945-200g.291796/

This tank is 200 gallons overall with a length of 85" width of 30" overall height of 19".

This is what is on hold or waiting for shipment on.

1. Gem tang 3-4" <-- (I might try more then one to see what happens)
2. Hybrid (Yellow belly) Achilles Tang
3. 2x moorish Idol
4. Blue spot jaw fish (mated pair) <-- yes this will be fun to do. I have sexed black cap and had them breed before but took a few sets.

I will also be getting 2 clown fish of some sort. I will probably let my daughter chose what ones :). She is only 18 months old so who knows what ones I am getting :p

Let me know your thoughts on the stock list or if you know of a cool fish out there. I am short some fish and do not know what I would want past this list.

I was thinking a school of something small or some sort of wrasse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add sand to the tank? If not, the jawfish might have a rough go.

Man, that sump setup is beautiful... :)

No sand in the tank so to house the jawfish I cut 1/4" black acrylic topographical map on the bottom with tunnels and what not so they have spots to set up a home. The bottom layer of my tank is overall 3" thick in spots.

I have housed and bread jaw fish a few times now. You soon find out that if they have control on where they set up it will be over or on top of your best coral or in the back of your tank where they will never be seen again :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue spot jaws need cooler temps.

I have not seen moorish idols successfully kept as a pr. Invariably one starts picking on the other.

The moorish will be a pain but want to give it a shot as they are amazing fish to keep.

The blue spots I have never had luck with them but wanted to give 1 more try. I have the black caps just in case it goes south. I did hear they like cooler temps as they are a deeper water fish. The last one I had lasted a few months before kicking the bucket.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just the depth they are collected, but also where they are collected. Most bsj are from the Sea of Cortez, which is cooler than tropical temps.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just the depth they are collected, but also where they are collected. Most bsj are from the Sea of Cortez, which is cooler than tropical temps.

Yes, You are scaring me away from them.. I am actually talking to a few people right now about them (including a supplier) They all are telling me not to bother :p. hrmmmm I might pass on them :(

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I say, but another great build

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niger Triggerfish

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niger Triggerfish

Ooo. . I was going for the mauritius triggerfish.. The collector I know in Mauritius might beadle to find a small one. They do not usually collect small ones but I can get a exception.. Idk though its kinda ugly lol The Niger looks better imho.

rhinecanthus-cinereus.jpg

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo. . I was going for the mauritius triggerfish.. The collector I know in Mauritius might beadle to find a small one. They do not usually collect small ones but I can get a exception.. Idk though its kinda ugly lol The Niger looks better imho.

rhinecanthus-cinereus.jpg
The Niger is reef safe;)

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some more exotic looking wrasse: Yellow breast wrasse, blue spotted wrasse, dusky wrasse, grey headed wrasse, exquisite wrasse, black leapord wrasse
———
Other asst fish: harem of purple queen anthias, masked swallowtail angel (could try a pair), blue throat trigger (could try a pair), magnificent foxface, gold Midas blenny, bellus angel (could try a pair), Lamarck angel (could try a pair),

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Tangs. Personally and Hybrid tang on Divers Den is a collector “must have”. As well as a butterfly fish

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back